Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Translator is good enough for Kraut to English to get the main point of posts.
What Zorros said is wrong though  :oops:
These were questions, not suggestions. But ofterwise hes right. Just replace the suggestion with question.

About the distinguishing faction troops thing.
After some time playing, you start recognising troops by their equipment. For example, in warband, you could tell if a soldier was a kerghit if he was wielding a hafted blade, or if he had that easily recognisable lamellar armor. Don't you think it will be the same with Banerlord? You can turn on the floating flags for some time until you are able to recognise every faction in the game, and then you just turn off those little floating flags.

The Mighty McLovin said:
Johan_Stormcloak said:
https://twitter.com/Mount_and_Blade/status/758589009572560896

This is good. Easier modding capabilities.

Easier? All it takes in Warband is ctrl+f in the troop.txt file :smile:.

jacobhinds said:
But you almost never have an army where all the troops are of one faction, at least in warband.
Yeah, if this was even an issue in their demonstration video then we can probably assume it will be in the full game.

I say just make the banners show with a key-press, so it's immersive most of the time but you can "assess" the battlefield for a second  or two when in doubt.

jacobhinds said:
But you almost never have an army where all the troops are of one faction, at least in warband.

Thank god this game aint warband. From what we have seen up to now, this aint the case.

I think perhaps it would be good if when you entered overview or strategic view mode, like in Viking Conquest, it would show the colored circles around feet, but not otherwise (or at least have it be toggle-able).

Sir_Newton said:
I think perhaps it would be good if when you entered overview or strategic view mode, like in Viking Conquest, it would show the colored circles around feet, but not otherwise (or at least have it be toggle-able).
Or like Total War, where it shows an outline when you select a unit.
(In this case, when you are giving an order.)

One feature that is definitely needed is a kingdom management mini map , that can be accessed at castles ,showing trade routes , kingdom boundaries, and  for making strategic decisions like formulating attack plans, giving orders to your lords and so on , it can also be in real time , this is a must

I agree, that's heavily needed. To add to the list of things we need, it would be superb if we had more option for contacting lords without finding them in person, like through a menu that displays important characters.

Perhaps to prevent players from wanting to just sit in their castle for months on end while they secure relationships, there should be higher relations and influence points rewards for doing business in person.

jacobhinds said:
Sir_Newton said:
It would be superb if we had more option for contacting lords without finding them in person, like through a menu that displays important characters.

Mount and Phone: WhatsappLord
Conquer calradia from the comfort of your home from the comfort of your home! Because one layer of laziness just isn't enough!

:iamamoron:
You put twice "from the comfort of your home"
You were my idol, and you let me down
:iamamoron:

Dont even mention that work of the devil, the kids walking infront of my home in the middle of the night screaming out in joy everytime they find one of these damn things is bad enough.  :neutral:

kraggrim said:
The Mighty McLovin said:
Johan_Stormcloak said:
https://twitter.com/Mount_and_Blade/status/758589009572560896

This is good. Easier modding capabilities.

Easier? All it takes in Warband is ctrl+f in the troop.txt file :smile:.

jacobhinds said:
Yeah, if this was even an issue in their demonstration video then we can probably assume it will be in the full game.

I say just make the banners show with a key-press, so it's immersive most of the time but you can "assess" the battlefield for a second  or two when in doubt.

This is definitely something I could get on board with. Love it.

The Mighty McLovin said:
You don't speak German yet you translated it? Huh?
I got a 5* for german on my final exams and absolutely hate speaking it. 

*5 on a scale of 0 to 10. equal to a high F in the us system you are allowed to have 2 fives or one four as long as you can compensate for it.

he asked if he could make a "Vorschlag" which translate to suggestion so I interpreted them as suggestions. in the end the exact difference does not matter that much.

I still think that before we can get rid of the floating banners we need situation where the ai makes the mistake of attacking friendly troops so the playing field is evened though this itself could be hugely frustrating.

I say 100% nope on friendly fire (of melee weapons at least). It would be an absolute mess, and before people bring up the idea of making AI compensate by mostly doing overhead, that's not a solution to a long term problem. You are trading one problem, floating banners which some say are immersion breaking, for another problem which is AI that is easily counterable by constant up blocks. This could be exceptionally annoying on servers in which AI help populate the sieges and such to give a larger/grander scale in multiplayer battles. Some AI coming up beside you an purposefully blocking your directions of attack while making a relatively easy target for your enemy to block.

The easiest solution is to simply have a button for on and off banners. People who seriously dislike the immersion breaking banners can turn them off. Yes, it will be harder to distinguish troops, but there are a myriad of ways to alleviate this, we should brainstorm some.

While the rags/cloth pieces being colored and surrounding troops may be nice it could be a pain to set that kind of stuff up, and in the heat of battle may not always be easy to identify. On top of that what about people like myself who are colorblind quite badly?

Heraldry is a good way to do so, but the problem with that is not all troops have shields, armor, or other pieces to signify their allegiance. Not only that but during the era that Bannerlord seems to be taking place the amount of heraldic items on a unit seems to be smaller than usual. Especially to some factions. It reminds me of how Rhodoks often had surcoats with heraldic mail, but the nord and vaegir troops rarely had any heraldic armor. Instead they had shields for the most part.

All of this said, I do believe friendly fire for melee and ranged should be in the game as options both for AI units and your specific character on two different buttons to allow customization and control. This along with the ability to turn floating banners off and on which it most likely seems to already be in the game as we saw no floating banners in the siege videos. The ability to discern different troops without floating banners has a few interesting options available like the mentioned cloth/rags, but for some people they dislike the idea of simple "red on blue" fighting. I guess the rags could at least match the primary color of your heraldry? Then you would have problems with troops having similar banner backgrounds / color combinations.

NOTE: I think SenorZorros has a good point about things to consider. That being said I don't believe hampering the effectiveness of all troops on the battlefield by making friendly fire abled is justified JUST because the player himself has a harder time discerning the troops. It's a bit of an extreme change when some people just wish to have the banners removed for immersion sake, but may also want some form of way to identify their own troops.

SmurfInHell said:
While the rags/cloth pieces being colored and surrounding troops may be nice it could be a pain to set that kind of stuff up, and in the heat of battle may not always be easy to identify. On top of that what about people like myself who are colorblind quite badly?

The rags thing is easy for even amateur modders in warband, and warband is often fairly cumbersome to mod.
I feel like rags are better than nothing for identification, because even with the floating banners in warband, its sometimes impossible to tell who was who in a big melee blob, especially if you want to shoot into it.

For colour blindness I guess they could make an option so the enemy is always one colour while you are always another. Total war attila had something like that.

I played atleast 650 hours of my total playtime exclusivly with banners disabled. I never had any problems identifying who was part of my army, not in Native, Gekokujo, 1257AD, or even while fighting the same troops. Its pretty easy distinguishing them simply by the way they are facing and who they are attacking.

What Mundy said. I think if you guys want the rags on your soldiers then mod them in if its as easy as you say. Thats something I really don't want in my game. I really like the idea of toggleable banners as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom