Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord Old Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
kabogh said:
In that case, I would prefer if the game kept from venturing too much on the realistic side. Am I the only one who thinks too much realism kills a game?
I agree. The reason we all like warband is because of the brokenness of it. The feints and stuff were obviously not intended. If they make Bannerlord a realistic game it will not be as fun.

I prefer games to have logic, probability, and realism in the aesthetics but arcade-y in the gameplay. Too little realism makes the game seem lame, but too much realism would make the game frustrating.

I always wanted some fast, but gruesome kill animations.  For instance decapitation.  However, you could disable it, and it should only occur if the person would die from the blow anyway.  A lucky insta-kil would make the game too luck based, rather than skill.

zackgreco said:
After playing ark i believe being able to poop, objectively makes any game better, Bannerlord should also have this feature.

You already can in Napoleonic Wars, there are outhouses you can sit on, on some servers you even get healed.

I once played the drums for a guy who sat on the outthouse, it was kinda funny  :grin:

Jacques Cartier said:
I think that in a more realistic standard for the game, lances shouldn't be able to be used over and over. In real life calvary could only use their lance once, twice if they get lucky or something. Usually the lance gets stuck in the person and you have to drop the lance.

I've seen a few people on this forum speculate that this may be the case (or similar ideas about lances), but I don't think it would be a common occurence and I know of absolutely no evidence to support it in the slightest.

DanAngleland said:
Jacques Cartier said:
I think that in a more realistic standard for the game, lances shouldn't be able to be used over and over. In real life calvary could only use their lance once, twice if they get lucky or something. Usually the lance gets stuck in the person and you have to drop the lance.

I've seen a few people on this forum speculate that this may be the case (or similar ideas about lances), but I don't think it would be a common occurence and I know of absolutely no evidence to support it in the slightest.

Indeed. If anything, the times when the lances actually get stuck should be the few ones, not vice-versa. The lance would only be unusable if firstly it gets stuck, which can only happen on opponents with no armor whatsoever as far as I can imagine, secondly if it breaks, which can happen if the lance is ridiculously long, thin and quite a decent force is applied to it, lastly if it is dropped, meaning if the player themselves drops it, if they cannot carry it anymore due to fatigue or injury, or due to some accident or occurrence that makes the lance bounce away.  Take for instance this jousting event and notice how the lance simply delivers direct, blunt force but suffers otherwise no other impediment, except the jousters' fatigue: (video) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cosWi0n6kgk&feature=youtu.be&t=46s

In this context, realistic interaction physics would be an extremely important point, in sense that pointing and interacting with every object or character on any map has the corresponding outcome. For instance, if a knight charges at full speed with their lance in a forwards thrusting position and the point hits a tree, a wall (or any other monolith, unmovable structure), the lance would bounce off probably having a devastating impact for the horse and rider as well resulting in the latter falling down, or getting hit quite hard. It might also just happen that no harm (or not much) is done. This can be applied to every object interacting with any other one. For example a character swinging their sword towards a stonewall. The appropriate sound, visual animation and vocal sounds should occur, including a possibility for the character to injure themselves and for the weapons to degrade/ break much faster. Of course, this would become much more complex when weapons interact with each other but a decent system in this area is definitely a must.

Back to lances, which can be used over and over unless something happens that gets them out of play - or need to be picked up again - [playing with broken, highly damaged weapons should be feasible too, hence it would make for immersion and would confer alternatives to desperate, last-moment situations]. What I stated in my first paragraph applies for mounted lancers, because spearmen would have a more complex role. If they for instance would thrust towards a charging horse, chances are both the horse and the spearmen would die. The rider would in this case have most chances of getting away with 'only' a fall.

The idea of falling is also quite unrealistic within the current mechanics, hence a fall from a charging horse, a leap from the top of a building doesn't cause that much damage - and if it does, the player/character still gets away with no after-effects. A fall from a horse can, as real life tells us, be deadly. Of course, as @Slytacular beautifully stated: "too much realism would make the game frustrating." So instead of making every fall deadly (as it would normally be), the action definitely has to be quite a complex one, which takes into account the amount of armor the 'fallen' has on them, the type of equipment, their velocity, the impact surface and last but not least, their skill. One thing has to be implement though, which is vulnerability. Even in the current system, the person who fell down is unable to do anything for one or two seconds. I believe that has to be extended (or shrunk), of course, depending on the factors mentioned earlier.

After giving my ideas expression through writing for some time, I have realized that pretty much every aspect has direct connection with every other one. In other words, the perfect game would be a complex entanglement of variables, a net of exquisite elements, of precise details - a nightmare for programmers. Even when reducing this amalgam to the most basic of functions - meaning what I consider to be vital both in terms of realism and gameplay improvement - the algorithm still retains its overwhelming complexity. But of course, hope is the last to die.

In my opinion, realism ruins the game. Like in Brytenwalda my character randomly fell over every 10 seconds. It got annoying to the point where I made a new character.

I'd prefer the game to be like Warband in terms of realism.

testertesting said:
For example a character swinging their sword towards a stonewall. The appropriate sound, visualanimation and vocal sounds should occur, including a possibility for the character to injure themselves and for the weapons to degrade/ break much faster.
I think they are adding the armour degradation (and I think weapons as well) in the new VC Reforged Edition.  I would like to have that in the game, and it could also go with my idea of having blacksmiths/tanners in the game to upgrade armour.  After a battle, you would need to bring your troops to get their armour repaired.

testertesting said:

I agree, ofc you got into alot more detail than me. Although this got me thinking of what they should do for horse bumping, in warband it's highly unrealistic, but it keeps it from being op. Maybe horse bumping could cause damage on the horse if the player is wearing armor, (imagine you running and bashing your knee against a metal ball) that's basically why it would hurt the horse. But it should also hurt the player, but it's hard to decide how much and how hard a player should fall. It should really be based on variables so people can't call BS.

Johan_Stormcloak said:
After a battle, you would need to bring your troops to get their armour repaired.
Exactly. This would go hand in hand with what I mentioned some time ago, concerning armor bashing:
testertesting said:
One thing I just thought of would be armor bashing: say a heavily armored knight dismounts their horse and fights against 2 lightly armored soldiers. Those 2 soldiers will be at danger because if they get hit merely once they'll be incapacitated or die and the knight is also at danger because of mobility impediment. So if the knight manages to kill one off quickly he should be able to take out the other one as well. But what if he doesn't manage to do that? What if there are more soldiers? The armor of the knight will make so that short swords (for example) won't have much impact on him. However, after continuous bashing the armor will degrade, it will have 'bumps' so-to-speak due to the blows plus the blows will incapacitate the knight for a very short amount of time each (blow to the head even if the head is in a helmet will cause some nausea). So the knight might not die instantly (unless someone throws a heavy axe swing at them) but rather slowly have its armor 'mashed up' until eventually it cracks revealing a weak spot or the bumps get so dense that they 'enter' the knight's body and makes him unable to fight or die [for example bashing continuously on the head will squish even the helmet]. Furthermore, if the knight survives this (say he gets bashed up badly and the enemies leave him on the battlefield instead of decapitating or bashing his head in) and shortly after there's a new fight and the leader didn't give enough money/ repairing time/ new equipment to his soldiers, the bashes and the deformed armor should be now visible in the battlefield - maybe even forcing our knight to not be able to wear that highly damaged piece of armor at all.
Jacques Cartier said:
I agree, ofc you got into alot more detail than me. Although this got me thinking of what they should do for horse bumping, in warband it's highly unrealistic, but it keeps it from being op. Maybe horse bumping could cause damage on the horse if the player is wearing armor, (imagine you running and bashing your knee against a metal ball) that's basically why it would hurt the horse. But it should also hurt the player, but it's hard to decide how much and how hard a player should fall. It should really be based on variables so people can't call BS.
Thanks for the input. However, damage on the horse due to the player wearing armor is a little far-fetched, I must say. The idea of the horse getting tired more easily based on what equipment is used is of course viable. And yes, concerning the falling it's quite a complex feature and I also mentioned variables. The conclusion was that the ultimate effect of falling is incapacitation, which is the one to be adapted based said variables.
On another topic, having skimmed through a documentary, it came to my attention how important teamplay was on the battlefield back then. In this context battlefield relations would be of importance, in the sense that there would be groups of characters fighting together. This could be an extension of relation-building outside of the battlefield, for example a companion that has become a close friend, or it could simply be a mercenary bodyguard that helps certain characters (divided by the main player) out. A simple soldier could also take this job on, but would be less skilled in protection.

Now let me elaborate: firstly, the way such groups would act is quite simple. They would rush to the help of the character they are assigned to - that would be their priority. If say the player assigns their best unit as personal bodyguard and this unit gets in a fight while the player gets in a fight as well, somewhere further off than their bodyguards, the protection unit would choose to try and end the fight they're currently in as quickly as possible, even flee from it in order to come at the aid of the player.

Secondly, this would be different from the current 'Follow Me' command, hence it would translate to something along the lines of 'Protect Me' or 'Protect X'. The behavior of the commanded AI would be flexible, in the sense that they wouldn't simply rush and throw themselves at every enemy approaching their designated protection. Instead, they would be receptive of quick, local commands, such as protecting from everyone, hanging back and only rushing in when necessary, skirmishing etc.

What is most important though, is how they would behave in tandem. This would be something only possible within Singleplayer, because such characters would be under AI. They would be very well coordinated, for example if within said group there are only 2, they would watch each others backs, they would smartly jump on one enemy at a time in order to have the 2 vs 1 advantage, where one would incapacitate and one would terminate for instance.

Indeed this idea seems a little far-fetched, but I believe the ability for characters to actually interact with one another on the battlefield, meaning for them to actually help each other out, work as a group, instead of each one running straight, is extremely important. The more such characters stay and fight together, the better their 'teamplay' skill will become, the more effective they'll become. Bandit bands would be extremely coordinated (if they're sophisticated assassins for example) making them not well equipped but highly effective in teamplay.

Let's not forget that two unarmored, lightly-equipped but highly skilled soldiers would have a greater chance at winning a fight against one fully-plated, medium-skilled knight, than the latter would.

Can we Have Half-swording like this, in Bannerlord?
Half-Swording is a technique where you grab the sword by the blade in order to get better leverage and use the guard or pommel to deal blunt damage and have more maneuverability. This could tie into the weapons having multiple modes and i would also like more functionality for warhammers that have often have two types of different weapon heads and sometimes have 3. There are hammers and axes and spears and pickaxes on warhammers. It would be awesome to fluidly swap between these weapon heads for different situations. Heres an image of a warhammer.
http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/acatalog/S5730-920-1.jpg

Multi-functionality for weapons is a must especially for war axes, war hammers or pickaxes. Also would there be a possibility for the AI to pe programmed to act in ways such as skirmishers will pick up arrows or bolts (depending on their main weapon) if they run out of ammo?

Half-swording would only work if hit detection was far more detailed and the game knew how to make it worthwhile. If something like half swording was implemented currently, you'd never use it because the AI moves back and forth too quickly for them to remain in range.

There would have to be a timer/cooldown similar to the current one that prevents you from spamming weapon-swap commands (if you press X while holding a throwing weapon or a greataxe, the response isn't always instant). Thus in MP i can't see it being used much either, except on a few siege maps where it's cramped. If a player starts half swording anywhere else, the other player can just backpedal and make use of superior range before the half sworder can react. It's like what happens when 2h sword meets 1h sword on a deathmatch server.

Would it even hurt if you got swinged by a sword wearing this armour? It must of took hours for someone to die. :smile:

The Mighty McLovin said:
Would it even hurt if you got swinged by a sword wearing this armour? It must of took hours for someone to die. :smile:

Of course not, that's why military techniques focused on either piercing the armor (the primary reason for half-swording), using hammers/maces, grappling, or aiming at openings in armor. A sword is a pretty poor weapon to use in that particular circumstance.

The Mighty McLovin said:

I've been following that game every since it's kickstarter. First time I saw this trailer, looks like it's gonna be great. Hopefully bannerlord can live up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom