Mount&Blade II: Bannerlord Developer Blog 2 - Painted Plants

Users who are viewing this thread

Avid blog followers and newcomers to the series, in this, our second blog, we're talking about our team of engine programmers and their role in our development process. It is fitting that the engine team sits in the centre of the office, developing the core of the game. The room is generally busy with the comings and goings of demanding developers, the hardware is powerful and the attitude is relaxed and open. Inside dwell the gremlin exterminating gremlins. The light masters. The engine engineers.

Read more at: http://www.taleworlds.com/en/Games/Bannerlord/Blog/3

Gotta say this brings  a tear to my eye, finally seeing Bannerlord making progress.

Though I have to agree with Beobart here, that one screen of the town looks like they just took the ground prop from warband: flat, unnaturally looking and only a bit of grass here and there.
Apart from that is looks great. And good to hear that it will allow modding again, one thing that made the M&B series so successful.

Now I am just really curious about the gameplay,  how the combat will be, how the hitboxes are arranged etc. If it will be similar to Warband (something I really hope for) or if it's gonna be a whole new style of fighting.

Great job Taleworlds. Make Bannerlord the game it deserves to be.

Hey. Huge M&B fan here and smalltime (private use only) modder for the M&B series. As modding was mentioned in this blog, firstly I'd like to thank you very much for giving us modders consideration! Second, I'd like to ask if Taleworlds has put any time into development of QOL tools for mod users and modders (other than the scene editor, which by the way, sounds incredible!)? The largest concern I have, is texture/sound/mesh replacers, and the ability to swap them over between mods. Doing so was a little tricky between modules and the native game, in fact I recall sound files required using Python 2.7 to get them to work (it was confusing at times too :razz:). Will Bannerlords have a different file-structure system than previous M&B games?

No, no no... all of the evidence points to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bataan, or maybe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batavia,_Dutch_East_Indies at a stretch. You'll be stranded on a lee shore if you cling to that red herring.

Meevar the Mighty said:
Beobart said:
Rallix said:
Hmmm...
2zmr.jpg
twdd_02_battanian_town_noon.jpg

HMMMMMMMMM.

I really want to know why these screenshots look so different. Are the one we got today older than the other ones? I mean, I see big differences.

Yeah, no bump map on the ground in the later picture. Good point. It seems that the second scene (Not actually the same town, just the same type) hasn't had the same effort put into painting the ground, or the graphics settings are lower. I doubt they threw away the texture...

I am not a graphic whore but I am quite sure I can make the same stuff with new models in Warband and it will look like at the second screen. I just hope these graphic settings are low.

Beobart said:
Meevar the Mighty said:
Beobart said:
Rallix said:
Hmmm...
2zmr.jpg

HMMMMMMMMM.

I really want to know why these screenshots look so different. Are the one we got today older than the other ones? I mean, I see big differences.

Yeah, no bump map on the ground in the later picture. Good point. It seems that the second scene (Not actually the same town, just the same type) hasn't had the same effort put into painting the ground, or the graphics settings are lower. I doubt they threw away the texture...

I am not a graphic whore but I am quite sure I can make the same stuff with new models in Warband and it will look like at the second screen. I just hope these graphic settings are low.
¨

It looks like the editor uses a different (less fancy) rederer than the game itself.

Choo-choo, conspiration theories!

So I was looking very attentively at each detail on the pictures and I'm ready to say almost certain things that would exist in Bannerlord actually. So let's take the first in-game picture:
twdd_02_khuzait_village_brush.jpg
1. Now look at the objects and waypoints. The first thing you can notice is the increase in waypoints, which give us a clue that there is a higher chance for them to have various functions, as opposed to spawning village walkers. In the center of the picture we can see some very important things: there are 3 waypoints placed right next to the leather frames. On the upper part, we can see another 2 waypoints directed to the chairs. One idea is that at the start of the scene, the spawned AI will take certain actions, like tan the leather or sit on the chairs. But this can also be the old system where you just place the entry points in the direction you want the AI to go, so the characters might just foolishly stop on them, like it is now in Warband. But there is still hope. :razz:
2. I'll put it straight: modularity, baby. Each house I can see on the scene is absolutely enterable. This thing gives us huge playability and more exploration. You can't imagine how bad I wanted to enter a village house when I first played Mount&Blade. I have high hopes for town houses too.
3. Object weight. This is clearly linked to the new physics system that we know so little about. It might be possible for us to interact much more with the world, like kick objects, or pick them up. Generally, the layout of the envirenment reminds a lot of Call of Juarez. If they manage to develop a symilar physics system, then I'm ready to kiss my overdusted monitor.
4. I tried really hard to look for it, but I haven't found the AI mesh option. It would be amazing if we wouldn't have to deal with it (it's a boring work, trust me, and it might take even more time to make than the scene itself).
5. "Water flow". Molly, that means waterfalls and mountain rivers, only if my guess is right about that option in particular.
6. Make some new fences already. :razz:
1. Here is the death of that modularity I was dreaming about just not long ago.
2. An awful border. I suppose that's heavily WIP.
3. Some really bad tiling at the wall connections, just on the left side of the picture.
4. Hope the trees are also in that heavy WIP list.
5. The thatch roofs on those stands should be much, much thicker and more elevated. Thatch was supposed to defend you from rain, so the water would just drain down from them, but in your case, any rain would get through, both because of the inadequate thickness and the near-flat elevation of it. Please note that.

Now, please tell me: does the path paint work better? Is it easier to create roads with decent curves, instead of that squary vertex painting we have now in Warband?

The tree, over by the weapon (read: sword) stand... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wapen-Batavia.jpg

We see green cloth and red cloth in the foreground, but where is the white cloth? It must be near the tree.

Coincidence?

No. Don't be so naive.

I like how there are three separate waypoints directing bots to closely examine the animal pelts. This must be what they did before drive in cinema.

I'm not an expert (I did once live in an old shingle house which leaked like a watering can and didn't need the curtains drawn open to let the sunlight in), but looks to me like the thatching is thick enough, but has a sharper/rougher edge than you might expect, having seen tickety boo national trust examples. Google image search shows some examples looking a lot like these ones.

Just because the culture has doors doesn't mean they don't open without a loading screen. There are a lot of open windows and so on.

*new reply has been posted*

^Fair enough, but maybe it's easier to bring stuff in if it gets so wet than to protect against every possible weather event. What's there would provide some shade and enough water resistance for the stallholder to pack up their wares before they get waterlogged.

I don't want to join this detail search really but...http://puu.sh/5IfFb.png
Could be just a random thing, i'm also not sure what that is so if anyone can clarify.

Back
Top Bottom