Mount and Javs 2 : Throwinglords (skirmish mode)

Users who are viewing this thread

People getting hung up on the 75% number, please it's obviously hyperbole, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't much less than that. Think about how many times you've had to maneouvre round someone awkwardly because they are holding a throwing weapon ready to kick you and mash it in your face for a one shot kill, one handed swords don't have that gravity about them. Think how many times you've had to face your shield towards a crossbow or archer and it gets you killed by something else.

The game feels like it was made by someone who hates infantry with a passion. It says it all when I'd rather keep my pila out than the garbage spatha that the legionary gets because at least if I kick someone and pila their head they actually die in decent time.

So yeah I agree with the OP, I even made a post going over all classes and shuffling perks around but it seems to have been completely ignored. I would give heavy infantry 1 throwing weapon max, other classes max 3, skirmishers can keep their amount right now because that is their "gimmick". Obviously the prices have to change but that's a given.

Huh, weird. I can get thrusts into their head fine. Are you slashing at it shield side?

Yes. Can’t hear them coming either cause the sound is off. You can’t forget to track the cav or one will get you. Corners work well for dodging them but not if you don’t see them in time.

Like all of my jav deaths have been to my back or side.

Pila was designed to get stuck in the shield and sag down so that they’d need to drop it. Can’t pull them out because of the barb. It could actually go into you if unarmored and you were holding the shield close to your body.

I don’t think they should break, good idea, but also meh. 6 javs are way too many for sure. I think peasant class should get tops 1 throwable spear. 3 is a good number for elite troops, 6 is just way too many.
Well the Roman pilum would never be used as a spear since the head would be broken off first hit. Yeah, it was designed to pierce people or shields, and the shaft would break off. The heavy head would kinda make your shield too heavy/awkward to use.

But yeah, i believe most of my swings were overheads or a high swing, aimed at the horse's head as the rider passed by (usually after he killed the poor slob standing next to me). Lower swings tended to connect, but I'm trying to go for max damage.

Still, it would be nice if you do connect for over 100 damage something would happen to the horse. Rear it up, or at least slow it down.

But I myself am useless at throwing, which is odd because in Warband I'm fairly decent. And yeah, in Warband you could equip around 6-8 throwables, which everyone seemed ok with.

But I only play infantry or Khan's/Palatine Guard, and throwing doesn't bother me near as much as cav.

Well the Roman pilum would never be used as a spear since the head would be broken off first hit. Yeah, it was designed to pierce people or shields, and the shaft would break off. The heavy head would kinda make your shield too heavy/awkward to use.

But yeah, i believe most of my swings were overheads or a high swing, aimed at the horse's head as the rider passed by (usually after he killed the poor slob standing next to me). Lower swings tended to connect, but I'm trying to go for max damage.

Still, it would be nice if you do connect for over 100 damage something would happen to the horse. Rear it up, or at least slow it down.

But I myself am useless at throwing, which is odd because in Warband I'm fairly decent. And yeah, in Warband you could equip around 6-8 throwables, which everyone seemed ok with.

But I only play infantry or Khan's/Palatine Guard, and throwing doesn't bother me near as much as cav.

I hope it’s just a timing or latency issue and not a disgusting shield hitbox.

Pro tip: be at a standstill before throwing. It’s perfect accuracy.

Cav got stronger (Perma couch lance, more horse hp/ armor, more agile horses)
Archers got stronger (Better damage, easier shots, shoot under shield)
But Inf is not allowed to have stronger throwing weapons?

Did you ever play 6 Oathsworm against 6 Mameluks and think "oh I have 4 Javelins we will surely win this round".
It is so wrong to justify throwing nerfs just because the Aserai Skirmisher is annoying. The only problem is that they spawn 3x6 Javelins. But when you change that you need to add a heavy inf to aserai.

Did you ever play 6 Oathsworm against 6 Mameluks and think "oh I have 4 Javelins we will surely win this round".
It is so wrong to justify throwing nerfs just because the Aserai Skirmisher is annoying. The only problem is that they spawn 3x6 Javelins. But when you change that you need to add a heavy inf to aserai.
Words of Wisdom!

No but I do think "Ah thank **** I picked javelins instead of a spear, because then we would be REALLY ****ed".

Also just cause other classes got stronger doesn't mean that they don't need nerfed, and just because they need nerfed doesn't mean that infantry classes should get off scot free either. Surely you understand that hitting someone 5 times with a sword because they have armour, is worse than just straight up putting a pila in their skull for the one hit ko? Either the swords need to be more lethal or the throwing weapons less so, I don't care which one it is.

No but I do think "Ah thank **** I picked javelins instead of a spear, because then we would be REALLY ****ed".

Also just cause other classes got stronger doesn't mean that they don't need nerfed, and just because they need nerfed doesn't mean that infantry classes should get off scot free either. Surely you understand that hitting someone 5 times with a sword because they have armour, is worse than just straight up putting a pila in their skull for the one hit ko? Either the swords need to be more lethal or the throwing weapons less so, I don't care which one it is.
I however - maybe biased as Inf player mainly - can say that throwing weapons are the only thing keeping infantry in the game at the moment, at least for casual no limit games.
Otherwise everyone would pick Cav and/or Ranger and then x, if they can't afford it anymore.
Infantry is worse off than in Warband atm.

haha pila go swoosh

Throwing spam should not be justified because it's the only thing keeping infantry alive. It's pitting broken **** vs broken ****, creating one massive turd with chunks.

Throwables being too accessible and doing way too much damage is a fact and Aserai skirmisher spam is worse than cav spam. A skirmisher can counter anything, it can delete non-armored horses with a single javelin for goodness' sake. Combine that with kick-throwing(which, for some reason, also works with an xbow or bow), and it just becomes even more sad.

If ranged, cavalry and throwing were tweaked to have less of an impact (read: nerfed), infantry and the whole game would become much more fun. As it goes now, it's about justifying broken mechanic x because it counters broken mechanic y.

Last edited:
Game is deeply flawed if throwing Weapons are the only thing making inf relevant, which they are not anymore. This meta is turning the game into a big joke, making it look more like counter strike than a medieval game

The problem with all bows and throwing weapons is that it practically doesn't depend on your skill; its effectiveness depends on those who throw / shoot it at you. In close combat, you compete with an opponent, and against the archer, you only pray that he will miss. The more effective throwing weapons and the stronger opponents, the less reason to get a sword.

Last edited:
Yes, there is an overabundance of throwing weapons, too many classes have them at the moment.

This is being adjusted.

Yes, there is an overabundance of throwing weapons, too many classes have them at the moment.

This is being adjusted.
e1106b16a49ca4956f26bdeb66ad59e2f0de374b_hq.gif

"These classes are unfun to play against, so therefore my class should also be unfun to play against."

That is not how it should work. I am glad you are not in charge of balancing.

Did you ever play Spear against Cav? When they charge fullspeed into your spear (which no good cav will do) you will deal 60dmg to the horse and then 30dmg to the rider IF you hit his head. This damage means that he can survive that exact move 3 times.
Also the move takes like 4 seconds, another cav can lance you while you do it.

"These classes are unfun to play against, so therefore my class should also be unfun to play against."

That is not how it should work. I am glad you are not in charge of balancing.

I am talking about the strength of the classes, which is the most important thing when it comes to balancing. And you convert it into the "fun to play against value"

Did you ever play Spear against Cav? When they charge fullspeed into your spear (which no good cav will do) you will deal 60dmg to the horse and then 30dmg to the rider IF you hit his head. This damage means that he can survive that exact move 3 times.
Also the move takes like 4 seconds, another cav can lance you while you do it.
Cav mechanics and Spear-Cav relationships have been adjusted. Will be applied with the next MP patch.

Back
Top Bottom