Missile weapon close combat attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ben Hussey

Sergeant Knight
It occurs to me that when you are holding a throwing axe, knife, javelin or even a crossbow or bow it would be hugely cool if you could whack your foes with it, for axes knives and javelin's it seems a really viable strategy, for crossbow's, some crossbows had bayonets on them, and speaking as someone who has had a clumsy brother scone me across the face with a longbow I don't underestimate the hitting power or a long thick chunk of yew.

Maybe it's been said before (I did look, sorry If I missed it) and maybe no one else agrees with me, however I see this as fitting nicely with Desichado's secondary attack idea's and I think the implementation fo both as a much better and probably easier step than the idea's for dual wielding etc.

Actually, I just had a good thought with the bow, as you hold it tightly in a closed fist it could use the thump animation, I tested this with my bow to see if its realistic and yes you can punch just as effectively with a longbow in your hand, in fact the extra weight gives it more potency in my opinion.

So this is how I see it (if Incorporates with Desichado's secondary attack idea's):

Types of weapon:

Throwing axes:
Standard axe attack and block

Throwing knives:
Standard knife attack no block (throwing knives gen. too small)

javelin's, throwing spears etc
Single handed thurst, blunt overhand left and right swings and block

Bows:
Punch, nothing else seems logical unless It's going to get used as a polearm which seems... unlikely. Ability to block

Crossbows/muskets:
Polearm thrust, Stock whack (See Desichado's post) ability to block

Pistols:
Punch, Pistol whip no ability to block (seems unlikely)

Seems like a good idea, but I don't remember the secondary attacks one (upon which this necessarily hinges); can you add a link to your post?

calandale said:
Seems like a good idea, but I don't remember the secondary attacks one (upon which this necessarily hinges); can you add a link to your post?

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,13220.0.html

Highlander said:
you should be able to do so by pressing shift (like in CoD2)

Something like that, yes.

This wpuld be very useful especially in the arena, whenever I'm an archer in the arena there's always some idiot who gets close and starts poking his sword at me(he could poke someones eye out) but in that case I'm basically defenseless so this would be an awesome addition

Crusad3r said:
This wpuld be very useful especially in the arena, whenever I'm an archer in the arena there's always some idiot who gets close and starts poking his sword at me(he could poke someones eye out) but in that case I'm basically defenseless so this would be an awesome addition
That's why we were so happy to be able to use our fists.

An4Sh said:
Crusad3r said:
That's why we were so happy to be able to use our fists.
And get our wrists cut with a dull two handed sword, you can't block swords when using fists so if the enemy manages to get one hit, then you're screwed..

I like to toss a javelin at people who are right in front of me, it looks like I jam it into their face, and it's really awesome. How about an attack that actually does that?

this would be a sweet idea to make happen, when u r an archer in the arena it would come in handy to be able to punch a foe without having to disarm so if hes knocked down or sidetracked you can pump some arrows into him as fast as possible.

Of all the secondary attacks, using throwing weapons as melee weapons would be my favourite;  even before shield-bashes.  It would just be so cool to be hacking and slashing like normal then all of a sudden lob your axe into someone's head and pull out the next one. :smile:

calandale said:
What?  You don't remember Destichado's Secondary Attacks thread?

Anyways, here's the graph I post everytime this topic comes up.

bash-chart256.png

(b/p/c/-) = blunt/piercing/cutting/no damage
* = knock-down effect.

I've been thinking about it, and I think that shield bashes should be a "secondary block"; ie., triggered off CTRL + Right-click.  If you don't have a shield, CTRL + right-click should either just do a normal block, or the regular secondary attack for your weapon.

this would be a sweet idea to make happen, when u r an archer in the arena it would come in handy to be able to punch a foe without having to disarm so if hes knocked down or sidetracked you can pump some arrows into him as fast as possible.
Really, you should never put your bow away unless you pull out something that needs your left-hand;  either a shield, or a two-handed weapon.

This is stupid. Bows are simply not -structured- for a melee attack; I don't know where to begin if I were to try and hit someone with a BOW. Crossbows are not built to endure the kind of punishment of a melee attack akin to a rifle butt strike or some such, it would probably splinter on the second strike. Javelin heads are soft, especially made for one-time use. I don't mind a melee attack for a javelin but it would have to use a javelin per melee attack. Same goes for throwing axeheads and knives. Though, if you could execute a secondary attack with a bow that is the same thing as a punch, that would be nifty.

CrazyEyes said:
This is stupid. Bows are simply not -structured- for a melee attack; I don't know where to begin if I were to try and hit someone with a BOW. Crossbows are not built to endure the kind of punishment of a melee attack akin to a rifle butt strike or some such, it would probably splinter on the second strike. Javelin heads are soft, especially made for one-time use. I don't mind a melee attack for a javelin but it would have to use a javelin per melee attack. Same goes for throwing axeheads and knives. Though, if you could execute a secondary attack with a bow that is the same thing as a punch, that would be nifty.
Well, if I had to choose between by fist and my bow, I'd use my bow.  Same goes for crossbow, though I'm not sure why a crossbow butt would be so much weaker than a rifle's.  Pila heads certainly were soft, but we do not know that javelins were, and I doubt it.

I happen to own a francisca (Throwing axe), longbow, back winch crossbow and several throwing knives.

The fransica is evil, it's just a small sharp balanced axe, If you can't use that as  weapon you can't use nowt.
The throwing knives are a bit small, a bit like trying to stab someone with a steak knife, but nevertheless much more reassuring than a fist.
The crossbow's stock is a three inch thick piece of oak for gods sake, if you can't clobber someone with that you throw into jeopardy the whole culture of clubbing zombies with 2 by 4's!

The longbow should just be a punch though, I agree on that, I proposed two different possibilities.

As for javelin's, I don't own one and have never used one but to me they appear to be small spears, unlike a pilum which indeed woul break.

i also then would like that the if you equip your bow your able to have a buckler on your arm for a bit of defence. back in those day they had it so archers were more defended from  other archers and the nice thing of bucklers are that most don't have to be hand-held, just tieded up to the upper-arm.

Yeah I agree. Well, I'd really like to see this and the secondanry attacks get implemented, they would make combat so much more alive.

In the middle ages steel bowed crossbows were often strengthened and sharpened so they could be used as a pick-like weapon. I have a picture somewhere but can't find it.

Back
Top Bottom