AI can't shoot in 1.2.0

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm leveling up a companion. He as 120 crossbow skill, a bound crossbow and misses 4 out of 5 shots. Even when I have him shoot a blob of looters, to increase his chances.

Same with mounted javelin throwing troops. Most of their shots miss. I'm not asking for 100% accuracy here, but it's a bit weird if a professional soldier who's job it is to hit things at range has less than 20% accuracy.

I believe the unit AI is broken somehow and aims for the wrong spot. It may be aiming for where the target is, instead of where it is going to be, but that's hard to prove.

There was this one tournament where I got knocked out before my partner, and he and the other guy both had crossbows. They took turns firing at each other and missing.

Over and over and over again.

I honestly don't remember if it eventually resolved when they ran out of ammo, or if they did occasionally hit enough times to finish it, but it was comically bad.

This was in the current retail build, not 1.2
So I'm not sure it's a new thing. It's probably by design. I think the AI ranged mechanics are intended to "work" in blob vs. blob... if every AI could shoot like the player does, battles would probably go dramatically differently.

Honestly the ranged AI in 1.2 is generally very good in my limited experience, but archers/crossbowmen can occasionally have terrible aim for some reason. I've noticed it being bad mostly during tournaments, but didn't think much of it at the time, maybe the units had low skill. Ranged AI in general feels better at longer ranges and better at shooting moving targets.

What feels worse in 1.2 is melee cavalry attacks' accuracy against foot troops. I think it improved a bit in 1.2.4, but I wish to see it be made better.

Back
Top Bottom