[M] OPEN_FIELDS warband mp maps

Users who are viewing this thread

Crossbow Joe, if you can't see the server at first, try selecting LAN and then going straight back to Internet and then click on 'Start Search'. I find this brings up a much longer list of servers, and simply clicking 'refresh' doesn't always seem to bring them all up.

Crossbow Joe said:
Can you set a time for a game? I don't expect you too but it would be nice, even if you dont play, it would still work.

Press the edit button instead of posting alot of times in a row, it's clearer, and it'll get you flamed if you keep doing it!

Welcome to the forums though, and don't hesitate to ask questions here: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/board,40.0.html

:smile:

sorry for posting so many times :S I did think there might be an edit but I was just thinking oh well it doesn't matter if I just post again and again... but now I find out it does. I have only had a profile on this for a couple of days I should read the board rules

Crossbow Joe said:
sorry for posting so many times :S I did think there might be an edit but I was just thinking oh well it doesn't matter if I just post again and again... but now I find out it does. I have only had a profile on this for a couple of days I should read the board rules

Dw, we were all "recruits" once :razz:

Anyways, i agree with a "set time" for open fields. Any suggestions? :smile:

New version is out with some cool changes. Also the server will be up again.
If you like, we could schedule a game for next week to try out the new Invasion maps.
For example Thursday June 17th at 18:00 CET (central european time)
If you live in another time zone you can use a converter like this http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html to get the proper time.

I have a Teamspeak 3 server that could be used for the occation.
adress:  127.0.0.1
port:      9987

I've got exams all this week, could i get back to you after that? Me and my mate are probably staying round my house on the weekend, he plays warband, i'll try and get him to play, you free this weekend?

Edit:
And nice update :smile:

Are the maps AI meshed? Silly question!

So it's basically a modified invasion with different maps now?  :smile:

Yes I will be online this weekend so I hope to see you then.
This is basically a modified invasion, yes. It's not ment to replace the Invasion or BattleforCalradia mods, just to show off my maps. If you like the maps, you could propose to the makers of that mod to include my maps, I would be honored.
Some of the original Invasion maps have been disabled in my mod, because I didnt like them or they use custom items and scene props that I do not have. Dungeons map is still in, but it uses custom scene props and is not playable, word of caution...

Anyway, 5 of my maps are ready for Invasion in this mod. They are Lytzen, Fortresses, Hot Gates, City Entrance and Thingvellir.  Also all of the invasion troops have been changed completely, as, again, many of the original invasion troops used custom items. Also some of them where silly. These troops use 100% native  equipment. It is not very well balanced or anything, you will not survive the third wave without a lot of bots on your side. But hey, big battles are fun.

freakin wat said:
Are the maps AI meshed? Silly question!
AI meshes are boring to make, but yes, all new maps have AI meshes. There may be flaws though, I have noticed that sometimes bots get stuck and run in circles, and it seems this is caused by terrain and/or AI meshes somehow. I have ironed out most of it but there may be spots that cause AI to get confused.
/Guttorm

@Guttorm

Mystic tunnels and dungeons i hoped taleworlds make some for SP.

I like caves and dungeons. A few quests in a dungeon or a cave would have been nice. Perhaps to escape from a castle, find a treasure, fumigate bandits. What fits in a medieval simulation. No magic, Undead, Elves, Dwarves, etc...

You maps are very nice.^^

EDIT:

I dont found the Open fields Server to play your maps. And i dont found your maps when i host a map myself???

There is a new version out, so make sure you download the latest version of the mod to be able to play the mod correctly. The server is up but renamed to OF_Invasion as it is running Invasion gamemode at the moment.
Taleworlds have released lots of patches lately and it has caused problems with the mod, but for now it should run pretty well.

Guttorm,

I had a question for whenever you have time.

I started experimenting with scene editing recently.  I found that it's pretty easy to start a multiplayer battle on say 'Ruins' and then press ctrl+E
and screw the map up from there. :smile:  (Or edit it intelligently if you prefer.)  But I was wondering how you added new maps to the game.  IE, where
are those maps stored?  And how do you set up the...

"Scene Names:                        Map names in-game:
multi_caravan_ambush_1              Caravan Ambush
multi_crezy_1                        Crezy
multi_gascony_1                      Gascony"

...that you talked about in a previous post.  If you had a second to explain a little of the setup/file structure, that would be awesome.

Or, if this is already documented somewhere, I'm up for reading up on it.

Thanks,

mat2rivs

Hello
Adding new scenes requires the Module system that can be downloaded from Taleworlds Downloads page. Make sure you get the latest version so it is compatible with the latest game update.

There are 3 pylon files that you need to edit, in order to add a new multiplayer map. Here follows a quick guide to add new maps to the game:

module_scene.py
Search for the scene called "multiplayer_maps_end"
This marks the end of the mutliplayer maps. All new multiplayer maps must be added above this scene.

Simply copy one of the multiplayer scenes and paste it in the proper place, for example this one:
  ("multi_scene_1",sf_generate,"none", "none", (0,0),(100,100),-100,"0x00000001300389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b",
    [],[],"outer_terrain_plain"),

There are three things you should change in this string to make it a unique scene. First the name, "multi_scene_1" in this case. Change it to the name you want to give your map. Use only small case and no spaces. This is the map name and it will use a scene file called scn_multi_scene_1 that is placed in the Resource folder of your mod.

Next, the long line of numbers ("0x00000001300389800003a4ea000058340000637a0000399b") is the terrain code. This can be aquired in the travel map using edit mode. Activate edit mode and start the game, once in the world map, press the Terrain button on the lower left, and play around with the editor until you find a terrain you like. Then press the Copy button at the top, to copy the terrain code. Return to the pylon script and paste your new terrain code into the string.

The last thing to edit is "outer_terrain_plain". This sets the outer terrain that surrounds your map beyond the border, so the map won't look like it floats around in the sky. Make sure that it matches the main theme of the map, so you dont get a snow map surrounded by desert hills. The outer terrains to choose from are:
    "outer_terrain_plain"
    "outer_terrain_steppe"
    "outer_terrain_desert"
    "outer_terrain_snow"
    "outer_terrain_beach"

Now you will have created a unique scene that might look something like this:
  ("my_new_scene_1",sf_generate,"none", "none", (0,0),(100,100),-100,"0x00000000400032320003c0f300001f9e000011180000031c",
    [],[],"outer_terrain_desert"),

module_scripts.py
In this file you will be able to add your new multiplayer map to the various game types of Warband.

Search for the script called "multiplayer_fill_map_game_types". Under this you will find a numer of lists that look like this:
      (else_try),
        (eq, ":game_type", multiplayer_game_type_siege),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin, "scn_multi_scene_3"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 1, "scn_multi_scene_8"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 2, "scn_multi_scene_10"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 3, "scn_multi_scene_13"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 4, "scn_multi_scene_15"),
        (assign, ":num_maps", 5),

There is one list for each game type, and it marks the maps that are available to play for each of the game types:
    deathmatch
    battle
    destroy
    capture_the_flag
    headquarters
    siege

Copy one of the strings:
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 4, "scn_multi_scene_15"),
And change it to point to your own map:
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 4, "scn_my_new_scene_1"),
Note that you need the scn_ prefix so that the script knows to look in the module_scenes.py file.
Then change the number just before the scene name, to keep the list in chronological order. Also change the assign, ":num_maps" to correctly display the number of available maps for this particular game type.

Now it should look like this:
      (else_try),
        (eq, ":game_type", multiplayer_game_type_siege),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin, "scn_multi_scene_3"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 1, "scn_multi_scene_8"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 2, "scn_multi_scene_10"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 3, "scn_multi_scene_13"),
        (troop_set_slot, "trp_multiplayer_data", multi_data_maps_for_game_type_begin + 5, "scn_my_new_scene_1"),
        (assign, ":num_maps", 6),

You have now made your map available for one of the gamemodes in Warband multiplayer. It can be selected while setting up a server and it can be voted on by players. You can add your map to any of the other gamemodes in exactly the same way. Just make sure you update the numerical order of each list, if the numbers are not in order, random strings will appear in the Voting screen while playing.

module_strings.py
In this file all you will do is add a proper name for your map. scn_my_new_scene_1 is a name used internally by warband, but you will want your map to be called something descriptive, like "Ruins" or "Canyon of Ultradeath" or something.

Search for "multi_scene_end" and add above it your own string composed of your scene name (without the scn_ prefix!) a comma, and the name you choose. for example:

("my_new_scene_1", "Canyon of Ultradeath"),
  ("multi_scene_end", "multi_scene_end"),

Now your map has a proper name that will be displayed to all players.

I will also give you a tip on how to easily manage scenes for editing.
What I do, is I make a new module called MAPEDIT. (simply copy your Native folder and rename it, then start the game with this new module, and don't forget to enable Edit mode and also start the game in a window.)

In this new module, open the module.ini file, scroll to the bottom and change the entry:
show_party_ids_instead_of_names = 0 to:
show_party_ids_instead_of_names = 1
This way every object on the travel map in the game will be identified by its script ID instead of the proper name. This makes it easy to find specific items, like castles.

Then enter the game with this module, create a new character and name him Castle_1.
Start the campaign and locate the castle called castle_1, move your character there. If I want to edit multiple scenes I create additional characters, name them Castle_2, Castle_3 etc. and move them to their respective castles. This way it is easy to access the castles you will be using to edit scenes.

Now for the next phase, you download the module system again, make it point to the MAPEDIT module (you need one copy of the Module system for each module you are working on) by editing module_info.py.

Open module_scenes.py and search for castle_1, it looks like this:
#      1 Steppe
  ("castle_1_exterior",sf_generate,"none", "none", (0,0),(100,100),-100,"0x30054da28004050000005a76800022aa00002e3b",
    [],[],"outer_terrain_steppe"),
  ("castle_1_interior",sf_indoors, "dungeon_entry_a", "bo_dungeon_entry_a", (-100,-100),(100,100),-100,"0",
    ["exit"],["castle_1_seneschal"]),
  ("castle_1_prison",sf_indoors,"interior_prison_a", "bo_interior_prison_a", (-100,-100),(100,100),-100,"0",
    [],[]),

You only need to change the terrain code, to the one you want to use for your own scene.
Save the file and compile the module. (Run build_module.bat)
Then go into the Resources folder of your MAPEDIT mod, and delete (or rename if you want to keep it) the file named scn_castle_1_exterior.

Now when you enter the game and load your Castle_1 character, enter castle_1 and choose "Take a walk around the courtyard" to enter the castle outdoors scene, where siege battles are fought.
This should bring you into the terrain you created earlier with the terrain editor. The castle is gone and you spawn in the center of the map together with a set of bots. These are the castle guards, just ignore them. Also you will be greeted by an error message that says that no resources where found for this scene. This is because you deleted the scn_castle_1_exterior file. But dont worry, start editing the map and then save it, this will create a new file called scn_castle_1_exterior. This new file is actually your new scene! Once you are done editing, simply locate this file and rename it to match the scene you set up in modules_scenes.py earlier, like so:
scn_my_new_scene_1
Now move it into the Resource folder of the actual mod you are creating.

If you use your MAPEDIT mod only to edit scenes, you can use it for any number of mods you might be working on at the same time. Whenever you want to make a new scene, just go to the Resource folder of your MAPEDIT mod and make sure there is no scn_castle_1_exterior (or change the number to the castle you currently want to use). Then open the module_scenes.py and insert the terrain code you want to use, in the string for the apropriate castle exterior! scene. Compile the module and you are good to go!

Happy editing!
(A final hint, if you exit edit mode and there is no button asking you to save your changes, don't be alarmed! The box is sometimes invisible because of some bug, just klick randomly where the Save changes button should be and you will find it is still there even if it can't be seen.)

Thank you very much for responding!  I will have plenty to read up on and try out after work.

Eventually, I'd like to create a set of Wheel of Time inspired scenes.  We'll see if time allows.  :smile:

Keep creating cool maps, and thanks for sharing what you've learned.

I followed your 'tutorial' and it worked!  I ran into one issue though and wanted to run it by you.
Currently I'm using Warband 1.126 and Module System 1.126

In 'Native' I can host a map (say 'Ruins') with full bots and play the whole way through.  (graphics maxed and all that)

In my 'mod' (which adds only the new map) I will crash out of Warband immediately with over 10 or so bots on both sides.  With 3-5 on a side, I crash out after a few minutes.  This happens for whatever multiplayer deathmatch map I use (my custom, or Native provided)
----------
I ran a test:  I copied 'Native' and named it 'Test'.  Pointed a fresh Module System at 'Test' and ran the build_module.  I could still play with as many troops as I desired.

Then I modified the scene.py scripts.py strings.py and added my .sco file to the Resource folder.  I ran build_module again and had the same crashing issue.  (Again, it will crash no matter if I play 'my_map' or 'Ruins'/'Villiage'.)

I also found out that your 'Open Fields' has the same issue.  So, it might be a v1.126 problem.

Just wondering if you had any thoughts on that.

Thanks!

I have not encountered that, but you may be right about it being an issue with the 1.126 build. In 1.125 i noticed they changed the terrain code so all maps that have automatically generated forrest spawned differently after that, changing the apperance of some of the existing maps. I think this update has other changes like that, that screws up what has been made previously. I have not yet downloaded 1.126, so I have not been able to make any tests. I expected I will need to remake the mod from scratch, but if your issue is a general thing, then there may be significant changes to the module system that needs to be checked first. Thanks for the heads up anyway, keep experimenting and maybe you can find the problem. I'll update once I've made some tests of my own.

/guttorm

Back
Top Bottom