looking sci fi novels

Users who are viewing this thread

sovreiign

Recruit
hey guys ive been putting a lot of hours into mass effect and i was looking for some books that are kinda of like it. i know there are some mass effect books but ive already read them ;P

The only Sci-Fi books I've read so far are about Warhammer 40,000. Even if you're not into Warhammer, the Blood Angels Omnibus is pretty damn good.

Raz said:
The only Sci-Fi books I've read so far are about Warhammer 40,000. Even if you're not into Warhammer, the Blood Angels Omnibus is pretty damn good.

Bah, Blood Angels are nothing but Wannabe Emo Vampires.  :razz:

Space Wolves are where it's at

And if you have to go for an Imperial Guard series for any reason, Last Chancers, Ciaphas Cain and Gaunts Ghosts are all brilliant

Plus if you're after something a wee bit different, there's the Eisenhorn and Ravenor Trilogies.

Word of advice though, if you do want to read 40K Novels, avoid any done by C.S Goto.

HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy is quite good, though not exactly what you would call main stream Sci-Fi.

Dune is quite awesome as well, it's a contender to Warhammer's in how epic it is. The Ring around the Sun is quite good too.

Space Captain Smith.

It's a bit like Mass Effect, if Shepherd was a British Officer and his crew consisted of a sex toy, a stoner alien and a new age hippy.

Oh, and Bill the Galactic Hero. Who wants to be Space Captain Smith but was hampered by being both first and American.

Archonsod said:
Space Captain Smith.

It's a bit like Mass Effect, if Shepherd was a British Officer and his crew consisted of a sex toy, a stoner alien and a new age hippy.

*can't wait for Wrath of the Lemming men to come out*

My advice is generally to avoid spin-off literature unless your massive fandom is enough to steel you.

Raz said:

You said you were reading Street.  :razz:

Observantly,
Winter

The Evergence trilogy isn't too bad, and has some similarities with Mass Effect, and other mainstream sci-fi, to be honest.

Ever read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game series?  I'd recommend it.

Also, Issac Asimov has written a bunch of classic sci-fi.

John Ringo has written military oriented sci-fi.

Dune, of course, is amazing.

Starship Troopers is more military oriented sci-fi, and far removed from and far better than the atrocious movies.

CR

Ender's Game series?

Or maybe just Enders Game on its own. I hear the rest of the series is pretty much just a cheap cash in, so I never bothered with anything after the first book, which was a pretty good one.

I think the Ender series and Dune series are similar in that the first book in each appeals to a broader audience.  The rest of each delves deeper into the authors' concepts, to an extent less action, more think.  I enjoyed both series mucho; just re-read the Ender series recently, and was recommending the Dune series to a roommate tonight.  The Ender series wouldn't be the same for me without Jane, nor would Dune be the Dune I love without Bashar Teg, Murbella and Duncan, and Honored Matres.

Back
Top Bottom