Lets have an actual, civil, class balance discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Oh ok I see what you are saying now. I do not think maces will be meta or anything though. Adding Maces just gives them another niche tool against certain loadouts. In many situations taking the axe or sword perk will still be better. I also fail to see how adding another weapon to a class would take away variety? by replacing a +stat -stat shield that looks identical to the normal shield, you are actually introducing more weapon variety to a faction lol
well more as in faction variety. Some people will otp the mace aswell. They are forced to work out other strategies to win then.

snip

edit. you're definitely wrong about the shield hit boxes and spears vs cavalry.
I dont know what to tell you man. You can go into a TDM server RIGHT NOW. Have your buddy pick Varyag while you go archer and shoot the dude in the feet... And the top of his head...I know this because I have done this....

Last edited:
I would appreciate it if you could explain how I lack objectivity. The only reason I think beserkers should have a polearm is because every other troop of their class has a polearm equivalent. It is not ideal but I feel that the 1 handed spears do a terrible job right now.

If you feel that spears are fine I would love to face you as a Cav with a lance while you're holding one.
but your job as spearman is not to out lance the cav your job is to stack them up so the archers can shoot and get easy hits. and 2h weapons are at the moment absolutly useless if you have 1-2 archers oO

Concerning cavalry; I would like to point out that stopping them is not the hardest thing to do with a spear. However, what I find is OP is the tankiness of horses, regardless of their faction, and if they have armor or not.

I often play with the TZ0 clan, which is composed of a lot of warband & NW veterans. On multiple occasions a heavy cav is stunned by a spear, and surrounded by speared infantry, shot with arrows and poked with more spears: the cav easily makes a swift exit after being stunned and the horse is still mid-to-high health.

There are many strategies to counter cav spam and whatnot, I'm not complaining about that. The gold-price of playing heavy cav is also an entirely different subject which should also be adressed. But right now, if we could at least either nerf the horse's hp, or buffer the spears and reduce pokes from a spear off a stunned horse, that would be grand

but your job as spearman is not to out lance the cav your job is to stack them up so the archers can shoot and get easy hits. and 2h weapons are at the moment absolutly useless if you have 1-2 archers oO
2h weapons will always stay as meme/duel weapon. Its just how the game is designed.

The problem of cav acceleration is the ww. While it adds some nice controll over the horse. It makes it close to impossible to punish cav. To stop the cav, they need to run straight into you aswell.

well more as in faction variety. Some people will otp the mace aswell. They are forced to work out other strategies to win then.

How do you propose a Battanian or Sturgian Infantry player currently deal with heavy armor? Both classes have other options like the Fiann and the Druzinnik but I do not believe in balance by making certain classes, and therefore players, useless in certain situations. With a well done perk system a player should be able to do well in whichever situation he wants, with the tradeoff being the perks he choose may not give him tools to deal with other situations.

I do not think you have seen competitive Mount and Blade before. A spearman needs to be able to deter a cav from pushing the targets the spearman is protecting. If the cav knows he can just charge and more than likely "outreach" the spearman, then the spearman cannot do his job as area denial.

How do you propose a Battanian or Sturgian Infantry player currently deal with heavy armor? Both classes have other options like the Fiann and the Druzinnik but I do not believe in balance by making certain classes, and therefore players, useless in certain situations. With a well done perk system a player should be able to do well in whichever situation he wants, with the tradeoff being the perks he choose may not give him tools to deal with other situations.

I do not think you have seen competitive Mount and Blade before. A spearman needs to be able to deter a cav from pushing the targets the spearman is protecting. If the cav knows he can just charge and more than likely "outreach" the spearman, then the spearman cannot do his job as area denial.
nerf heavy armor by removing pokes or lowering them by a significant amount

i do not have any problem to stack up heavy lance cav lul i try to stay with the archers and protect them. the cav only have a chance when i fail. if he try to lance me the archers will get some shots on him if he just try to stab me i can block it very easy or stack them up and then he is dead 'caus the archers will get 1-2 shoots on him and i can also step him one time with the spear and do ~20 damage

Last edited:
Heavy armor infantry seem way too forgiving, and I say this as someone who almost plays them exclusively. These classes regularly tank upwards of 6 direct hits and can get out of situations they have absolutely no business surviving. I cant count how many times I said "How am I still alive" after jumping around like a tard while getting smacked around by all sides from every variety of weapon.

nerf heavy armor by removing pokes

This is probably the best long term solution, but it will require a lot of balancing and developer attention in order to get right. The changes I propose can all be done by simply changing 1 or 2 lines of code (I assume) that dictate perks and class cost. Changing perks to help balance provides immediate help for multiplayer and comparatively doesnt take as much dev time away from fixing more immediate issues in singleplayer.

I believe there has already been a perk change that was so small it went unannounced. The Mendalavian for the Empire Palatine Guard was an absurd weapon with 120 speed as a swingable polearm. Sometime between release and now they changed it to a generic Imperial Polearm with a much more reasonable 90 speed and Im not sure if anyone even noticed. Some simple changes to the perks can immensely help balance in the short term.

Heavy armor infantry seem way too forgiving, and I say this as someone who almost plays them exclusively. These classes regularly tank upwards of 6 direct hits and can get out of situations they have absolutely no business surviving. I cant count how many times I said "How am I still alive" after jumping around like a tard while getting smacked around by all sides from every variety of weapon.

Yep, I main infantry and jump on cav only in warmups or at the end of a game when when i know its over, many times i run into 3+ spearmen only to get out on full hp and my horse is only half then go onto 1 shotting a archer with couch. It really is too forgiving

i do 40-50 damage with a heavy mace to a improved armor varyag oO

This is probably the best long term solution, but it will require a lot of balancing and developer attention in order to get right. The changes I propose can all be done by simply changing 1 or 2 lines of code (I assume) that dictate perks and class cost. Changing perks to help balance provides immediate help for multiplayer and comparatively doesnt take as much dev time away from fixing more immediate issues in singleplayer.

I believe there has already been a perk change that was so small it went unannounced. The Mendalavian for the Empire Palatine Guard was an absurd weapon with 120 speed as a swingable polearm. Sometime between release and now they changed it to a generic Imperial Polearm with a much more reasonable 90 speed and Im not sure if anyone even noticed. Some simple changes to the perks can immensely help balance in the short term.
there must be a variable that influences how many pokes heavy armor forces, you can just change the value.

The pokes make the game unplayable. The whole MP community doesnt want them. Singleplayer dont want it. It should be top priority.

i checked some stats out and i would say the battania units dosent need a mace. the wildling and the oathsworn have the highland axe as perk and this is the fastest 1h weapon ingame with a good length. so i guess that should help against the most heavy armored units. only the legionary axe can keep up but then he can not have pilas or spear so i would say the oathsworn and the wildling are ok - good units oO

i checked some stats out and i would say the battania units dosent need a mace. the wildling and the oathsworn have the highland axe as perk and this is the fastest 1h weapon ingame with a good length. so i guess that should help against the most heavy armored units. only the legionary axe can keep up but then he can not have pilas or spear so i would say the oathsworn and the wildling are ok - good units oO

I do not have a polite way to tell you that you are wrong. Actual playtesting proves that axes bounce as many times as swords do and are not comparable to blunt weapons in dealing AP. The stats do not represent the amount of times a full swing does only 3 or 4 damage with no stun.

I do not have a polite way to tell you that you are wrong. Actual playtesting proves that axes bounce as many times as swords do and are not comparable to blunt weapons in dealing AP. The stats do not represent the amount of times a full swing does only 3 or 4 damage with no stun.
its still not a balance issue but a core gameplay one

Dont think balance changes should actually be discussed before fixing that

There really isn't too much to discuss, the Warband system was far superior. The classes are not only restrictive, but whoever selected the options either never played the game or really has no clue. Some of the combinations are just laughably useless and restrictive. Why would I want LESS options and more restriction..? I wouldn't EVER the devs made a big mistake and they will eventually kill MP unless they fix it. I don't think they seem to care much, I fear this might be a cash grab. But we will see if they can swallow their pride and fix their game or not. Right now Warband is the superior MP experience and that is SAD considering its a decade old and this game has been in development for 8 years plus beta testing and has had plenty of community feedback.

thats just not true xD i do 20-30 damage with an axe hit against 40 armor + are you sure all your problems come from the game?

There really isn't too much to discuss, the Warband system was far superior. The classes are not only restrictive, but whoever selected the options either never played the game or really has no clue. Some of the combinations are just laughably useless and restrictive. Why would I want LESS options and more restriction..? I wouldn't EVER the devs made a big mistake and they will eventually kill MP unless they fix it. I don't think they seem to care much, I fear this might be a cash grab. But we will see if they can swallow their pride and fix their game or not. Right now Warband is the superior MP experience and that is SAD considering its a decade old and this game has been in development for 8 years plus beta testing and has had plenty of community feedback.

I made it abundantly clear in the OP that I do not want this to be yet another Class System Vs Manual gear selection post. If you have no intention of respecting my wishes please do not post at all. There are plenty of other threads where you can voice your opinion about the class system.

thats just not true xD i do 20-30 damage with an axe hit against 40 armor + are you sure all your problem come from the game?

You have a magic axe then. A majority of people are citing that weapons which deal cut damage are bouncing an overly large amount.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom