javelins will no longer be able to be used to melee in 1.72 and why that is bad

should javelins be able to melee

• yes

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • no, it is silly for a huge horse to be reared by a tiny pointy stick

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

The javelin is the best weapon in the game because it can deal with all three enemy types,

it is one handed so it does not have an additional movement penalty(like two handed weapons) therefore you can maintain the quickest movement speed to maneuver when outnumbered by infantry

it can rear cavalry, thus preventing the unblock-able horse bump strike

and it can counter archers

why is it being removed? can you introduce a fast one handed spear instead(without shield because shields slow you down)?

This is bad because (in my opinion) dismounted combat is the best part of the mount and blade series and you should not take away the ability to counter a simultaneous infantry and cavalry engagement (on foot).

Last edited:
The javelin is the best weapon in the game because it can deal with all three enemy types,
It isn't, it was just annoying/spammy af

it is one handed so it does not have a movement penalty (two handed weapons slow you down) therefore you can maneuver when outnumbered by infantry
One handed weapons do have a movement penalty

it can rear cavalry, thus preventing the unblock-able horse bump strike
WASD, that is how you can prevent it. Not everything needs to be blockable, just prevent it.
and it can be thrown at archers
Well, yes it is a javelin.

why is it being removed?
It only served as spam/meme/annoyance and needlessly complicated to balance.

can you introduce a fast one handed spear instead(without shield because shields slow you down)?
Khuzait spear is short and fast, don't see a reason why you would want to use it one-handed. Would only make you slower.

It’s a fun feature, I’d love to see it returned. If it’s a balance problem they could nerf the damage/speed of it.

I read in Discord Nin3 mentioning it caused issues in Captain, could it just be removed for that mode?

I read in Discord Nin3 mentioning it caused issues in Captain, could it just be removed for that mode?
Uh if they mean because their AI prefers to use javelins in melee mode rather than their actual melee weapon then that's the dumbest reason I've heard. "CBA fixing the AI so just gonna remove the ability for them to do it".

It should be able to be used in melee but they need to add the polearm stun on block from Warband, without that it's just broken. An easy fix for a lot of issues tbh.
^^^ this
Uh if they mean because their AI prefers to use javelins in melee mode rather than their actual melee weapon then that's the dumbest reason I've heard. "CBA fixing the AI so just gonna remove the ability for them to do it".
This is 100% the reason. Remember when TW just removed all dual-weapon loadouts on Shock Troops because the AI couldn't decide which one to use intelligently, and then a year later made the AI able to choose intelligently and never put the dual-weapon loadouts back?
TW is starting to gear up for "**** this, ship it" and I think a lot of things are just gonna get the chop.

^^^ this

This is 100% the reason. Remember when TW just removed all dual-weapon loadouts on Shock Troops because the AI couldn't decide which one to use intelligently, and then a year later made the AI able to choose intelligently and never put the dual-weapon loadouts back?
TW is starting to gear up for "**** this, ship it" and I think a lot of things are just gonna get the chop.
That's a hilariously lazy and sad but otherwise probably accurate explanation. I'm with Jesus otherwise. This is another example of "FUN DETECTED. MUST ELIMINATE". WTF.

I'd say that javelin stabs should be kept in the game, but have them scripted to never be able to rear horses. In most games I played, javelin melee is a good emergency tool due to how finnicky weapon switching can be at times, and in cases like that, it'd be faster to switch stances than switch to your melee, even if javelin stabs are worse than the sword sheathed on your belt.

It’s a fun feature, I’d love to see it returned. If it’s a balance problem they could nerf the damage/speed of it.

hmm they are limiting alter mode X for polearms and throwing spears

they remove it from bastards swords and medium javelins. I wonder if it crash the servers or they cant fix it

Everyone is focusing on the wrong thing here.
Does this mean we cant spin our throwing weapons around and look cool before running into the enemy? That was one of the best additions to Mountain Blade :sad:

First they reduced the speed of the javelin in melee, making it almost unused by people. Then they upped the speed again, making it stupidly unfun to play against, and now theyre removing it completely. Could just...reduce the speed again, and as Ogl said, add the stun effect we had in warband, which means you get punished for stupidly stabbing.

If its the captains thing, then yeah I got nothing. AI seems to be struggling still.

I already despise the 2H stun. **** stun.
The attacker gets the stun, not the defender. If the spearman stabs a block, theres a moment where the defender can get an attack in.

I swear there is a stun you sometimes get when blocking versus 2 handers.
There is, its a heavy weapon so it makes sense, the fix for javs in melee would make the stun affect the attacker, not the defender.
And as far as I know, the stun for 2handed weapons dont give the same attacker a free hit.

I agree with:
OGL said: It should be able to be used in melee but they need to add the polearm stun on block from Warband, without that it's just broken. An easy fix for a lot of issues tbh.

In short, same as Warband; melee mode/throwing mode + stun on block + no possibility of cav rear.

Back
Top Bottom