SP Antiquity Italia Mod: The Early Roman Republic

Should I include Siciliy in my Italia Mod?

• Include Sicily, add to the fun.

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • Don't include Sicily, its not realistic

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pode said:
Suggested Republican troop tree based on my (RTW mod based, http://www.europabarbarorum.com/) knowledge of the pre-Polybian legions and the classis:
Initial recruit: Rorarii -> three upgrade paths, light inf with tunic, scutum, hasta, helm, and some weak javs
Cavalry path: Equites Romanii (jav cav)-> Equites Consularii (hvy melee cav)
Ranged path: Leves (jav skirmishers) -> Accensi (slingers, use thrown rocks but much deadlier)
Infantry path: Hastatii (helm, greave, pila, hasta, sword) -> Principes (add pectorale) -> Triarii (full hoplite panoply)

Treat alae as mercenaries, with the top tier being the pedites and equites extraordinarii

EB is a fantastic RTW mod based on serious historical research (lots of actual professional historians in the credits), although set later than your timeframe.  I'd suggest poaching off ealabor's Hegemony mods for Mount and Blade, then the PI mod I linked to first, then EB, and only then creating your own stuff if nothing is quite right for what you want.  Partly because there's decent overlap on the timeframe (it was a long time after the Tarquins before Rome cared about the heel of Italy) and partly because the more you crib from previously completed work, the sooner you'll have a beta for me to play with :cool:

Ya I was thinking of a troop tree like this. I've attempted to model the Manipular Legion. I'll have Hastatii and Rorarii and Leves able to be recruited from the city, Rome. Recruitable leves will upgrade to Accensi which upgrade into recruitable Rorarii. The Rorarii will upgrade into recruitable Hestatii who will upgrade into the Principes and Triarii. Accensi Principes, and Triarii are not rectuitable.
Cavalry are a little bit difficult but their will be no formal version of cavalry upgrade. A cavalry unit will exist but this will just be named equites and these men will hold longer swords, a hasta, and round flat shield. Foreign cavalry will have missile capability. This is closest to reality I believe. I'm quite willing to change this if somebody can prove me wrong.

I am very sorry to say this, but for personal reasons, I won't be able to contribute much to this mod, atleast for now.  :sad:

Deyshawn said:
I am very sorry to say this, but for personal reasons, I won't be able to contribute much to this mod, atleast for now.  :sad:

Alas, I'll have to hold back on progress. Well you've been a great help Deyshawn, I do hope you'll come back to help me out later if possible.

omzdog said:
This is closest to reality I believe. I'm quite willing to change this if somebody can prove me wrong.
I don't know much beyond what's covered in US public schools, but what I do know I learned here http://www.europabarbarorum.com/factions_romani_units.html and on their forums here http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=70  As a sample of the level of attention to historicity, just on the front page, there's this thread:
Cruvamendica (Goidilic Cavalry) Description Incorrect  (Multi-page thread 1 2 3) 
I don't even know for sure which faction that unit belongs to, but someone does and they're debating it and similar stuff has gone on for 5 years or so. 

Of course with the wonders of Internet anonymity and the cross population between TW and M&B forums I'm probably advising one of the EB modders to go reference his own work, but hey.  Point is , go there and ask questions and you'll probably get scholarly level answers and sources within a few days.

Omzdog, here's some textures for you.

Weapons

Falcata
Picture19.png
Picture28.png
Gladius
Picture23.png
Spatha
Picture25.png
Pilium
Picture29.png

Vexillums

Aquila
Picture21.png
Picture24.png
Snakeheads
Picture26.png
Hand
Picture27.png

I'm working on a few other designs of vexillums, also some temples and houses, and helmets. Will post/email those some time in future  :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom