SP - General Improving siege AI

Users who are viewing this thread

I really like the AI in normal battles so far, but the AI in siege battles doesn't perform so well. Ladders and siege towers are just death traps for the attacking side, while the gate is apperantly undefendable for the defenders.

The main things the attack AI needs to learn is:
  1. Attack while climbing. Currently they rush to the top of the ladder, where they are outnumbered, and then slaughtered before they can do anything. I myself on the otherhand can easily kill the defenders while still on the ladder, since the defenders bunch up too close to the ladder to hit me efficiently.
  2. Amass troops on siege towers before opening the ramp. Currently the first soldier who reaches the top opens the ramp, which just allows the defenders to rush the tower which makes the siege tower just a worse version of ladders, as it creates a choke point.
The main thing the defenders need to learn is to actually defend the gate. Currently the AI just makes a shield wall without actually attacking. Further more, the shield wall is badly positioned, as the attackers can easily pass the shield wall for the encirclement.The shield wall should form a concave V or U right up to the wall, which gives the defenders number advantage, even when outnumbered.

I agree,

Moreover, archers could position themselves on the inner walls to shoot at the attackers blocked by the shield wall. In fact, maybe they should adopt this secondary position as soon as a section of the wall is compromised?

1. Amass troops on siege towers before opening the ramp. Currently the first soldier who reaches the top opens the ramp, which just allows the defenders to rush the tower which makes the siege tower just a worse version of ladders, as it creates a choke point.
On this, I've been the first man on the tower and noticed that the AI would climb up the centre ladder only and form a giant queue where the man atop the ladder would not climb into the tower until I'd dropped the gate. Is there a limitation here that the tower is only taking one man at a time, hence the issue noted?

We need to be able to control them with commands. I joined an AI Siege and all troops waited back with shields up while the ram was put into position and smashed down the gate. Then they went in to smash op the inner gate while storming the walls with ladders.

When I do a siege, all my troops run up ladders and die, but even if get the ram up and smash the first gate. they all see a 2nd gate and go ____ this and climb ladders to die while I solo smash the 2nd gate. once that gate opens we do pretty well but generally we are so weekend by then it doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom