I'm genuinely livid about the way the gave us the "old" UI back

deez nutz

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Guys, I understand and I agree with your frustration, but seriously the way you complain about it is not the best.

1) UI dev are, wait for it, working on UI. Not diplomacy, not pathing, not game mechanics. So complaining that "they changed this UI stuff INSTEAD OF working on that completely unrelated stuff" is pointless, because it's not the same guys nor the same skillset.

2) Antagonizing dev is not going to bring them to your view. I'm also a dev, I'm always trying to give the best to my users and I welcome feedback and suggestions, but if I got this kind of mockery I certainly wouldn't make any special effort. We already have little communication from TW, let's not drive away the few who still interact with us, okay ?

Describing the problem in the OP is great. But the tone, and many of the answers, are really not helping. And yes I know, it's been a long time and we all are frustrated. Doesn't prevent being civil, we can criticize and be mature at the same time.
I don't mean to cause trouble for the devs cause I see a lot of the stuff on the forums is super hyperbolic and it seems like a lot of people just want to be angry. However this whole UI thing has got me heated. When it came out I didn't like it but everyone was saying this was just for testing so I rolled with it. Now we have this and it is a complete mindf**k how this has even happened. I assume it took them some time to set up the UI like they did to resemble the old one and in that whole time did they not realize that they are literally just making the same thing? It makes it seem as though they either don't understand what the problem with the new UI is or that they are just doing it to mess with people. By and large I like most of the changes they make to the game and the ones that I don't like are usually meta changes which is subjective but with this I don't even see the other side of the argument here. I completely fail to understand why the devs are so insistent on pushing this UI through that they are going to spend time making it look like the old one instead of just giving us the old one. This whole thing has got me weak

Having different shortcuts for different UI options would just make things awkward and they will probably use other F keys for new commands such as focus firing in the future.

Having different shortcuts for different UI options would just make things awkward and they will probably use other F keys for new commands such as focus firing in the future.
Lets be real here, the control via F1-F12 keys is NOT a good way. It is not intuitive, it is a pain in the a** to get out of the way to control it, and not something you can do quickly on the go without having to sacrifice other things.
A decent way of handling it would be by controlling it just like you do your attacks. With your mouse.
Press the E key for example, a radial menu opens with 4 directions, you can then go for Movement with your mouse upwards and then left for attack or w/e idk. Best would be if you can customize it, will never happen thanks to consoles being so extremely stubborn about swapping your controller layout.
90% of the stuff from the commands are useless anyways, in roughly 500 hours of Mount & Blade i have never had to use, walk a tiny bit forward command once. Or retreat a tiny bit.
Why would i want my army go in a circle if i can't also use shieldwall in combination with it.
The developers of this game, and yes i mean the developers, seem to not be big fans of Mount and Blade. Otherwise so many things would have been different.

Lets be real here, the control via F1-F12 keys is NOT a good way. It is not intuitive, it is a pain in the a** to get out of the way to control it, and not something you can do quickly on the go without having to sacrifice other things.
A decent way of handling it would be by controlling it just like you do your attacks. With your mouse.
Press the E key for example, a radial menu opens with 4 directions, you can then go for Movement with your mouse upwards and then left for attack or w/e idk.
I think that would be the worst way of doing it. To be able to select the commands with mouse movement you would need to lock the camera first and that is not possible for reasons below:
Look direction control with mouse movement is really important while giving orders. To enable mouse selection for order radial, we need to lock the camera. So the player won't start looking to the right while selecting an order that is on the right side. It made for a really jarring experience.
It's to look at where you want to give the order towards. Also left mouse hold used for custom formations and placement. Holding and Dragging the left mouse button gives a custom formation order. Can't do that if the camera is locked.
---
Why would i want my army go in a circle if i can't also use shieldwall in combination with it.
Your soldiers automatically forms a shieldwall when you order them to form a circle formation.

I personally would like the old command structure of single button (f4) for hold fire to return when we switch back to the original UI. I don't like having to press two buttons just to tell my units to hold fire when I am used to how the old system works with one button.

Was accidentally pressing Alt+f4 actually that common of an occurring issue? In my 1,300 hours of bannerlord, never have I ever accidentally alt +f4'd and I tell my units to hold fire quite often as a captain mode player.

If possible, please allow us to return to the old command structure with single click hold fire. Unless you have plans to expand the formation list with additional commands and this change was designed to make room for those, then in which case by all means add them.

Just make the commands rebindable and you solve the problem... some formations I never ever use, I want to unbind them. I should be allowed to bind to any button I like.. like I said before, if I want to press F1 to switch between Line formation and Shield wall, I should be able to do that. If I press F4 to hold fire and shoot, again, that's very good. If I want F2 to switch between charging and holding position, then why not?

Was accidentally pressing Alt+f4 actually that common of an occurring issue? In my 1,300 hours of bannerlord, never have I ever accidentally alt +f4'd and I tell my units to hold fire quite often as a captain mode player.

I remember there was a pretty hilarious bug report about crashes when ordering Hold Fire. And emrodezir mentioned they were looking at solutions back in August or so.

edit:
This was one of them. There were others.

Just make the commands rebindable and you solve the problem... some formations I never ever use, I want to unbind them. I should be allowed to bind to any button I like.. like I said before, if I want to press F1 to switch between Line formation and Shield wall, I should be able to do that. If I press F4 to hold fire and shoot, again, that's very good. If I want F2 to switch between charging and holding position, then why not?
Yeah that would be good. Ironically or indecently when I play warband with a controller I set just a few basic f keys to the buttons. I have long ago eveloved to not want controller anymore for M&B though, but putting what you want where you want it is always good.

I remember there was a pretty hilarious bug report about crashes when ordering Hold Fire. And emrodezir mentioned they were looking at solutions back in August or so.

edit:
This was one of them. There were others.
No! That's too dum I don't believe it! TW just give back f4 for fire orders!

Also I don't understand the poll, are deez nuts good or bad? Am I giving or receiving deez nuts and to whom?

Yeah, I'd prefer being able to rebind the keys or run a completely customized setup of nested commands. I don't know anything about Gauntlet though, so I'm not even sure that is possible.

Maybe if TWs wasn't prioritizing a console release, they might be allocating different time for devs besides this rather pointless endeavor for anyone in here. Here's a console UI, you don't like it? Here's the original UI that has the same irritating controls.

Guys, I understand and I agree with your frustration, but seriously the way you complain about it is not the best.

1) UI dev are, wait for it, working on UI. Not diplomacy, not pathing, not game mechanics. So complaining that "they changed this UI stuff INSTEAD OF working on that completely unrelated stuff" is pointless, because it's not the same guys nor the same skillset.

2) Antagonizing dev is not going to bring them to your view. I'm also a dev, I'm always trying to give the best to my users and I welcome feedback and suggestions, but if I got this kind of mockery I certainly wouldn't make any special effort. We already have little communication from TW, let's not drive away the few who still interact with us, okay ?

Describing the problem in the OP is great. But the tone, and many of the answers, are really not helping. And yes I know, it's been a long time and we all are frustrated. Doesn't prevent being civil, we can criticize and be mature at the same time.

Thank you for this, I absolutely concur. It's sad that several people think they have the right to grossly exaggerate, insult and despise because "we paid (a bit) money".

On topic I concur with the OP, the new command system is annoying for me. Ok, I'm slowly getting used to the new F...combos, I hope they don't change it back or, worst case, bring mouse use into commands, that would be terrible. And for "Hold Fire" I want a one click button.

And the priorities are completely off even in the UI department.
Priorities being off is true (I even made a whole thread about it), it still has nothing to do with blaming the UI guys for doing something about UI instead of something unrelated to UI.
I mean what do you expect?
I said it clearly : I expect that people can criticize maturely.
I don't think that's what's going on here and I was under the impression they shared our view (in previous thread) and that we would receive to option for original UI, this didn't happen and it's very disturbing.
There is a number of (understandably) angry/bitter/disappointed posters that tend to post nearly entirely and everywhere in a mocking way, and that certainly must not help giving dev the desire to come and interact - I mean, I DO share the opinion of said posters, I am not one of TW dev and as such am not targeted, and yet I find myself annoyed and often not bothering to post because said mocking comments give such a childish tone to some threads I feel like it's wasted to participate.

As for the UI, I remember that Emrozdemir specifically said that they would give the option to have the appearance of the old UI, but that the working of the new UI would stay, so I think they were honest (if misguided) here.
They have every right to cry foul and try to make themselves heard especially as this is still Early Access and feel they still have a chance and hope that their voice gets heard at the top level office and the priorities of the games finite resource return to things the original loyal fanbase has always sought out.
Of course, and I'd say that not only they have the right, but they SHOULD cry foul, make themselves heard and try to give their opinion on the changes. I'm strongly in agreement here on the principle. I'm only annoyed at the WAY this expression is coming.
I find this a woeful approach -the Devs are all big boys/girls and should be able and moreso willing to hear an outcry to return to the original vision of the game and adjust accordingly.
The dev are big boys, but they are also humans, and regardless of how grown-up one is, people acting childish will NOT endear you to listen to them. So I'll repeat : let's make ourselves be heard, but let's keep it mature so that the dev WANT to interact with us - and even if it doesn't work, so that we don't annoy other posters with tantrums and anthics.

Console players wont even play the game much, it's so barren and boring what the **** are they going to do without mods.
Well 1 bit of advise for TW, DON'T have trophies on ps4/5 for MP!
I almost platinum warband on ps4 but some trophies need MP and there's nobody on it and the requirements are really particular.
I asked who got it and they all cheated, they just got people together and took turn doing the requirements.

I don't think console release is worth the work tbh. I don't think it will sell much at all.

This is both on topic and off topic.

I really thought something cool and exciting would happen with Bannerlord, i’ve been following the dev blogs early on, than I preordered the game and have been regulary visiting this forum for new information and see patch notes. I wouldn’t say I expected the best game ever, but I did see more potential in this game than almost all other games. And it seemed like big plans where made in Talesworld for this game. Sometimes when I was reading the dev blogs, I got the feeling some of it was a bit sketchy and not quite what the game will be/look like, but I always put those thoughts aside. Having seen how epic some of the mods made Warband as a game, having read and seen how trustworthy Talesworld is and ambitious. I thought “this game will definitely be good and mods will make it the best game ever”. Than I tried the game after EA release. What a waste of time. But okay this was first day of EA and the combat did feel awesome. A friend who didn’t play Warband thought this game was epiic already in this state and believe it will be best game ever with time. I guess I can see why and probably other people who haven’t tried Warband would think the same.
I have played a total of 28 hours of Bannerlord including MP... I had hope for a loong time, always feeling bad after reading patch notes but still had hope. Reading about some files are in the game not yet “released” which points to that the game will have much more to offer with time.

Now. After seeing this thread. I’m sure this game is 100% business with no real desire to grow except growing the fast money. I do believe quite a few of the Devs have pride in their work, and want to improve the game. But they are let down than. I kinda hope is not down to mismanagement from passionate people but rather from the people focusing on profit, otherwise it would be abit sad.

I thought Talesworld would show why it can be benificial to have a loyal fan base on a win/win basic for Company and Consumer.

I hope I’m wrong and the next patch shows how much they are doing to this game, as they keep saying. And yeah mods will probably make the game worth it anyway.
So thanks Talesworld for at least a decent base to grow a game.
And Big Middle finger to you Talesworld for destroying the child in me who thought not all companies in the world are wolfs going hungry.

See you in 3 years on the battlefield

I like the new UI better than the radial one, but it's not ideal.. I do still prefer the old one my self...

I still really prefer the options and commands from the old UI. The new one feels less accessible and limiting on the battlefield. Of course the old format is still at least better than the radial menu, but I would also like to see a return to the F4 - F7 on the UI.

the UI dev said he's trying to bring 1 press orders to F4 and beyond.

F1 to F3 will stay the same though

I still really prefer the options and commands from the old UI. The new one feels less accessible and limiting on the battlefield. Of course the old format is still at least better than the radial menu, but I would also like to see a return to the F4 - F7 on the UI.

Here:

F1-3 will stay the same but I'm looking into ways to include one click orders on F4-10 on PC.

e.g. "Toggle Fire" will still be under the F3 list but players will be able to also give that command with one of the F4-10 keys.

Back
Top Bottom