I know Ambush mechanic was scrapped. But what was the reason for it and is there any way/chance to have it implemented in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

I have played the game for 45 hours now and checked the perks looking for Ambush perk since I remember seeing in a video some time ago. Found this thread where Callum states there is no Ambush type feature or mechanic in the game. I can think of reasons why it can be hard to balance/implement in M&B but I would still really like to know just so I can take my mind of it. So as part of the title said. What was the reasons you(TW) decided against an ambush mechanic and is there any chance it can be implemented in the future?

Edit: I will write and add all new suggestions below here as me and other people comment new ideas. After some time, if people find this interesting enough that there is a lot ideas, I'll make a poll just to see what people generally like.

Ill start:

How the set up should work out ideas:
1.)You can set up anywhere on the map. Your army stays in the same position waiting for enemies to walk into you. There's a set of premade maps get randomly selected that matches the terrain you are in(if you in forest you get forest map designed to hugely benefit the ambusher).

2.) There are number of fixed(10 for example) positions spread out over the map whichyou have to go to and set up and ambush. These places are unique locations with unique/premade maps which you can go to and setup your army and hope for someone to run into, or maybe you run into someone when going there? :O

These could vary in the size and possibility of how big of an army are able to hide there, a small rocky area next to a busy road can maybe only hide a party of 10 people max. Another one could be a mountain valley where a party of maximum 30 have a chance to succesfully hide and ambush. Then there could be a place in the desert canyons that have a chance to succesfully hide a party up to 100 maximum where you block of the exits of the enemy and sandwich them in bread made of shields, and with a topping of arrows and ballista bolts.

Maybe there can be a building meter like it is in sieges where it takes time to set it up and you could have options for chopping down trees to block their path, make barricades to make them inclined to go a certain path or have a chance to build a ballista placement or two.

How to balance it ideas:
1.) Size matter! The bigger your army the bigger the chance of being spotted.
2.)Special Units are better at it, some maybe even need to make one.
3.)Scouting ability have effect on your chances to make or detect an ambush.
4.)Other perks?
5.)Can be locked behind other abilites like Charm for example, you make a lord to like and trust you and then you tell him you found a treasure map that leads to chest full of nice churned butter in that dark forest area only an hour outside of town and you tell him he can have it because you are such good friends:twisted:

Last edited:
I am also now curious!

If I were to implement ambushes I would set them up sort of like sieges. You would be able to deploy your troops from all sides or whatever advantage the terrain offered you.

Spikes could be set up in front of archers to stop a counter charge. Fields could be soaked in oil (assuming you have some in your inventory)
Rocks rolled down hills...All the classics.

I have faith they will return by the end of early access in some form. If not then modders will figure something out.

I am also now curious!

If I were to implement ambushes I would set them up sort of like sieges. You would be able to deploy your troops from all sides or whatever advantage the terrain offered you.

Spikes could be set up in front of archers to stop a counter charge. Fields could be soaked in oil (assuming you have some in your inventory)
Rocks rolled down hills...All the classics.

I have faith they will return by the end of early access in some form. If not then modders will figure something out.
Problem is how do you go about balancing it. I think this can be really tricky to balance it for the player himself so you don't run into armies that ambush you all the time and you loose everything. And also how do you go about ambushing so it's not OP.

But that's partly why I made this thread ! With some insight and answers from TW maybe people can come with ideas about it.

I believe it's a really hard mechanic to balance in Bannerlord.

Why did they put it out of the game? Please give me any information about that!

I really think thats an important thing for the game. You should be able to use every tactical mechanic for fights as you can possibly get.

Wow, sounds like an awesome feature. I sure hope something along these lines gets implemented one way or the other. Also an excellent feature to buff/make bandits more interesting, if the AI could be made to handle that.

+1
I think there are all sorts of ways to balance it, because it would be OP if a gigantic army could just inexplicably appear looming over a different army (a la Total War). I'd like an alternative to fielding a separate, all-cav army just to hunt down a few bandits.

Instead of having fixed locations I’d rather be able to set up ambushes anywhere but have multiple factors that affect likelihood of success, like:

1.) high roguery skill increases odds
2.) high enemy scouting skill decreases odds
3.) location; higher chances in woods and near impossible chances in open plains
4.) party size; easier to ambush with a smaller party

Put those factors in some kind of formula and if the enemy triggers your ambush then you could do multiple things, like:

1.) enemy starts in fixed position and you can place your units around them
2.) idk, rolling, flaming hay bails (pretty much describing total war ambushes)

You can prevent it from being op by making it difficult to ambush an army that is smaller than the attackers or messing with the odds of success.

Back
Top Bottom