I am part of the 99%

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm an education major senior, and I am dumbstruck at how many people think education is a magic bullet for creating jobs and improving the world. Much of this thread is a perfect example for why certain people should not seek higher education. For every master of women's studies in $150,000 in debt are 8 people who could have gotten an associates degree from a community college for a field that is productive to society.

I think these folks have things confused with the percentages. 99% is far too high.

I would wager them to be of the 47% as only 53% or thereabouts of the population here in the states pay taxes on income.

You just can't help but wonder what the **** is going through these folks heads as their debt accumulated throughout semesters. Was there any concious consideration to long term income and job opportunity vs accrued debt?

Somewhere at some point for that last chap who dropped 150k into minority women studies (omg) there was either someone at his uni who lied his ass off about the prospects of such a study (prolly his professor), or he was just outright delusional about the real world.

Now for the former, he needs to ****ing occupy that professor's house for lying his ass off to perpetuate the legitimacy of his own job, or for the latter it's his own damn fault for being oblivious to the realities of the world around him.

This whole movement is bull**** really, which i've gone on tangent several times now, but so many new developements.

For example you have to question the timing of this "grass roots" movement. Wall Street has been bailed out now since the last supper. Right now the Goldman Sachs employees who got bonuses are dropping their Bentleys off in the shop to get a new round of tires, so wtf?

Also, the big three were bailed out, but no Occupy Detroit? Now there's a conclusion for both of those, but i'll let you folks put that one together on your own.

I think at this point is just a circle jerk mutual thunder stealing party, kinda like the tea party. In fact, that's what this is, the  TEA party of the left.
First guy makes legitimate complaint.
2nd guy makes a different complaint that is someone related.
3rd guy comes in with unrelated but equally important complaint.
4th guy sees previous complaints, decides he agrees with the whole thing, and complains with them.
5th guy agrees with group manifesto, but has no idea why, and complains.
6th guy has his own crackpot agenda and wants to make it seem the will of the mob agrees with him.
7th guy has no idea whats going on and wants someone to take the blame for the evil in the world so he can pretend he is a victim, and complains.
8th guy comes in, has no idea whats going on, and further muddies the water with incoherent complaints.
9th guy DerpA! HURPS DERPS and makes 1-4 look just as stupid and bigoted as himself while thinking he is helping.
10th guy wants free stuff

I've read that George Soros could be behind all this but I don't keep up, in detail, with conspiracy theories.

I think the difference with the Tea Party, before it became a Social Conservative fest, was that it was principally full of working individuals and fulltime students who did not have the time to protest.

In contrast, Occupy Wallstreet seems to have a potential to mirror the Greek unrest as I suspect these unemployed protestors (I even saw a picture of a man with a sign that stated: "I left my job to come here to protest"  :shock:) will NOT be leaving anytime soon and eventually may come around to battling cops (indefinitely) in most U.S. and maybe even Canadian cities.

ealabor said:
I think these folks have things confused with the percentages. 99% is far too high.

Have you seen the manifesto?  Like the radical right, the radical left assumes they are 99% of the population.

Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr.

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.

Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment.

Demand four: Free college education.

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now.

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.

Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment.

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live.

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.

These demands will create so many jobs it will be completely impossible to fill them without an open borders policy.

:lol: I bet less than 1% of the US population would agree to all those points.

These demands will create so many jobs it will be completely impossible to fill them without an open borders policy.

Yep, we will all be dead from being a nation of starvating artists. Being a fat productive  laborer is so mainstream. Think of the opportunities for foreigners!  :razz:

Let me fix this

Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by ending "Freetrade" by re-imposing trade tariffs on all imported goods entering the American market to level the playing field for domestic family farming and domestic manufacturing as most nations that are dumping cheap products onto the American market have radical wage and environmental regulation advantages. Another policy that must be instituted is raise the minimum wage to twenty dollars an hr. - minimum H/R leads to inflation

Demand two: Institute a universal single payer healthcare system. To do this all private insurers must be banned from the healthcare market as their only effect on the health of patients is to take money away from doctors, nurses and hospitals preventing them from doing their jobs and hand that money to wall st. investors.

Demand three: Guaranteed living wage income regardless of employment. - If demand one is met and manufacturing jobs returned, then there's no reason to guarantee a 'living wage' to Hamburger Flippers.

Demand four: Free college education -  Ok, this is done in certain European countries but "free College education" has nothing to do with your student loan expenses like a new car each year, pizza on the weekend, et al. 

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to bring the fossil fuel economy to an end while at the same bringing the alternative energy economy up to energy demand. - I don't like the oil lobbies but this is all wishful thinking.

Demand six: One trillion dollars in infrastructure (Water, Sewer, Rail, Roads and Bridges and Electrical Grid) spending now. - 15 Trillion in Debt and you want to increase it?

Demand seven: One trillion dollars in ecological restoration planting forests, reestablishing wetlands and the natural flow of river systems and decommissioning of all of America's nuclear power plants.  Power does not grow on trees - unless you burn them ( :mrgreen:) and

Demand eight: Racial and gender equal rights amendment. - Bunch of hippies, I'm all for equal rights and I am a 'minority' in my country and yet I realize we no longer live in the 1960s.

Demand nine: Open borders migration. anyone can travel anywhere to work and live. - no explanation and seems conflicting with demand 1

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards of a paper ballot precinct counted and recounted in front of an independent and party observers system.
-  Why not just undergo a complete reform or minimize the role of the Federal Government?

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.  - It could be done I guess...

Demand twelve: Outlaw all credit reporting agencies.

Demand thirteen: Allow all workers to sign a ballot at any time during a union organizing campaign or at any time that represents their yeah or nay to having a union represent them in collective bargaining or to form a union.

Wishful thinking

Devercia said:
:lol: I bet less than 1% of the US population would agree to all those points.

Yep, we will all be dead from being a nation of starvating artists. Being a fat productive  laborer is so mainstream. Think of the opportunities for foreigners!  :razz:

I think the intent was that we would all have "living wages" provided in return for planting trees...  :neutral: 

Hmmm...  our environmentalist paradise where each man receives a government-issued tent and a can of spam, living indeed!  :lol:

Dodes said:
Even I think this has gotten silly

indeed
Devercia said:
Opportunity cost is the potential given up whenever a person takes an action. Poorly framed leftist arguments usually cite the positive influence behind spending and inflated demand, but avoid the issue of what that wealth and labor might be doing if it were not occupied by a government pet project(such as circulating in the economy, as an example) Obviously, many leftists know better, but quantity over quality rhetoric really irritates me.

I imagine that the movement is now being filled with guy number 10

Horrible hand writing but did one of those say she couldn't afford birth control?

Stop having sex mebe? Also stop smoking them cancer sticks and getting drunk every night... Saving money is easy when you don't spend it on ****e.

There's debt in Mexico, but the difference is that when you don't pay the loan shark on time your organs get harvested.  :lol:

I'll major in History, but I'm not exactly looking for employment in that field. Probably do Military History to fit with my career.  :razz:

Unless you're going to be a professor, Military History has little job application.

Which makes me sad, as I'd love to do Military History yet have no interest in teaching.

Here is a thought: maybe this whole thing is a way for people to get their online friends to meet them in person - I wonder how many stalkers are down on wall street right now, sizing up their victims, the same way a hunter decides which deer to cull from the herd...

Austupaio said:
Unless you're going to be a professor, Military History has little job application.

Which makes me sad, as I'd love to do Military History yet have no interest in teaching.

It is at least relevant to the military.  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom