How long do your caravans last on e1.2.0 and e1.1.0?

How long do your caravans last after starting them?

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I personally would rather have caravans be a safer investment that earns less rather than a risky investment that potentially earns more. If this is undesirable, at least reduce the startup cost; 18k denars is a lot of outlay for a slot machine-type mechanic that might take hours of play before you find out you lost the roll.

it takes an average of 54 days for the caravan to pay for itself and start making money and after that you need to keep guarding it if you want to make some money, i'd like to actually play the game instead of guarding caravans 24/7

Guarding trade routes is an aspect of the game. Evidently. Doing this for start up, or if you are worried during times of war that Lords will raid seems logical to go aid caravans. Apparently most players are claiming to have lost their caravan in the FIRST week.

Not 24/7 but here and there. Go clear bandits once or twice a year. And during war, well, theres a reason U-boats were so effective. Obviously countermeasures need to be taken.

It's obviously being looked at and subject to change. As stated by the developer.

But I suppose by "Play the game" you mean click something once, to forget about entirely and make money.

I personally would rather have caravans be a safer investment that earns less rather than a risky investment that potentially earns more. If this is undesirable, at least reduce the startup cost; 18k denars is a lot of outlay for a slot machine-type mechanic that might take hours of play before you find out you lost the roll.

Literally just described workshops. Cheaper, Provide no risk income.

But I suppose by "Play the game" you mean click something once, to forget about entirely and make money.

I personally don't see the problem. Exchanging capital for a steady return on investment is a mainstay of any economic simulation (or real life, assuming you have a 401k or a bank account). Nobody wants to be shackled to the grind just to cover maintenance costs.

Last edited:
There shouldn't be a mathematical chance of a caraven being lost in the first place. They should just be slower so that bandits and other enemy parties can actually catch them.

Number of workshops is too small IMO. I have 3 workshops and it covers my party of 70-odd soldiers with some small amount to spare, but will be pittance if I need to maintain garrisons or secondary parties. If they got rid of the cap on workshops then it becomes a real choice between a safe, low-profit option and a risky, high return option, rather than being forced to use caravans because of some artificial cap.

Guarding trade routes is an aspect of the game. Evidently. Doing this for start up, or if you are worried during times of war that Lords will raid seems logical to go aid caravans. Apparently most players are claiming to have lost their caravan in the FIRST week.

Not 24/7 but here and there. Go clear bandits once or twice a year. And during war, well, theres a reason U-boats were so effective. Obviously countermeasures need to be taken.

It's obviously being looked at and subject to change. As stated by the developer.

well, if my caravan doesn't make it to the break even point i lose money, if i lose money the caravan is pointless, the break even point is around 54 days on average (at least in my games), i don't want a click and forget thing but i don't want to follow one single caravan for roughly one in game year to at least not lose money and then if i want to make money still have to follow it around, the middle ground wouldn't be a bad thing, not super safe rocket powered caravans (pre patch) and not the current "dead in a week" caravans.

There shouldn't be a mathematical chance of a caraven being lost in the first place. They should just be slower so that bandits and other enemy parties can actually catch them.
there's no mathematical chance of it being lost, the 1% chance is derivated from the events that happen in 100s of ingame days.

mexxico said:
After this change game is runned hundreds of days for testing and still I am testing, I requested some player's save files who complained about their destroyed caravans. What I see is everyday 1 caravan is destroyed in all Calradia in average, in some days this number is 0 in some days it is 2. In total there are about 100 caravans. This means that average days your caravan survives is about 100 days.

To see your caravan 100th day is : 0.99^100 = 0.37 (37%)

In 100 days one caravan brings you 60K profit in average. In total you invested 18K and return is 60K in 100 days. This is average situation. However we cannot guarentee your caravan will not be destroyed at initial days. I know if this happens you become disapointed.

Of course there can be several problems. I see that caravans are not selling their prisoners and this probably slows them down after some point also they gain you relationship with notables after their battles with looters. These will be fixed. There can be some other problems too we will deeply examine it and make it better in next patches.

Far as I am aware, that was one of the Lords duties in medieval times. Not necessarily to guard caravans, but to keep banditry off the road etc. Players are complaining about AI not performing this job, but by the sounds of it many players aren't either.

don’t think the player should have to babysit constantly. I clear the area around where I am but having no control over caravan routes makes it impractical. There’s something to be said for either town militia stepping up to deal with bandits or lords having to come back from campaigns to deal with it. They’ve been away so long that banditry grows etc.

don’t think the player should have to babysit constantly. I clear the area around where I am but having no control over caravan routes makes it impractical. There’s something to be said for either town militia stepping up to deal with bandits or lords having to come back from campaigns to deal with it. They’ve been away so long that banditry grows etc.

Bring back patrols/Manhunters.

I'd have to agree. They seem fairly fixated on the idea of a "real-world" economy that dynamically changes according to events in the world and player actions. The problem is that that kind of economy is almost impossible to simulate. There's a reason that even real economists stress that their models only roughly match the actual world, it'd be incredibly difficult for a 50-100 man dev team to do, or at least not without bringing out the economics textbooks (which I seriously doubt they've done).
EVE Online and X video games series are pretty good at simulating real-world economy and it works well (not only well, it is the major selling point for both games). Of course there would be limitations and inaccuracies in the models, but it is possible to make it highly enjoyable both in SP and MP.

Back
Top Bottom