Hostile faction during peacetime, bug or feature?

Users who are viewing this thread

Aggrobiscuit

Recruit
Started a new save, Southern Empire this time. I haven't had time to make any enemies and I joined during peacetime. War has yet to break out, but I've come across Apys of Eletheroi's party which is patrolling around in Empire land hostile (red). I went over to talk to him out of curiosity, and he said how I was trespassing in his lands and I'd need to pay a toll for safe passage. I refused to pay and was attacked. The rest of the parley options where what you'd expect for war time. There was no option for me to leave due to being outnumbered, so basically the same parley options you get with a hostile faction. Now I've never come across this behaviour on any other saves. I have some really hated characters that are all left alone during peacetime.

Anyone have a clue what's going on here?

Major factions can be in war with minor ones. Pretty sure it's intended. You can see who they are in war with through encyclopedia.

Last edited:
Yeah the major's all have a minor, or several, that they are at war with by default. I think when these minors become mercs for other factions the war is paused, but will return when they're done with their contracts. You can also go to war against minor factions (who aren't a merc currently) and get out of it by becoming a vassal, but if you become independent again it will go back to war......
There might be even more to this as in my current game the embers of hand are blue (indicating they're sturgian mercs) but they are still at war with my clan, even though sturgia in't...... I don't know. It was amusing that they caught one of my companions though. Finally revenge after so long since the start of the game when I used them for easy loots when I had only 20 men.

Minor factions are also good for the player who doesn't want to get into conflict with major faction yet, but is already bored of killing looters. You can attack them for better fights and loots (just make sure that they are not sided with any major faction at the moment, as this will result in war with that major faction too)

Back
Top Bottom