General discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Shamble said:
Tried it a bit, and it is not good and not finished:
1. It is not done to the release version yet, old bugs with beards, missing loot stayed in release version, however they were reported and known, tavern scene made offhandedly, sneaking in town as pilgrim without actually pilgrim cloth etc. They should've wait 2-3 weeks more and polish it better.
2. New map is bad, it is to much simplified - 2D, combined 3-in-1 locations, unproportional size of lands and parties, and decorative - what the point of beautifully painted mountains and rivers if they do not affect the movement in any way?
3. New town screen - painted better than previous but even much more simplified, and takes to much time to load
4. New command system - maybe advanced in some way, but hard to command with map over your screen and using mouse while in fight and lack of microcommands, or it just i can't find something like Form n rows, Volley Fire, Use melee, Dismount horses etc.
And you can command in siege/boarding - totally stupid :neutral:
To be honest, i do not see much point to add so strategic command system in game about fights of parties consist of only few dozens of pirates, colonists or irregulars mostly
5. Quests - except patents nothing so special, kill bands, get something - analogs is in Warband as well
6. Taverns is a one big decor, they should add more 'life' to it, at least some belligerent drunks
7. Sea fights looks too arcadish for me
8. Not interesting start with soldiers, vessels, money, in WB where you are no one with almost nothing is much more interesting. However, looks like rising from zero here is much more harder.

But the biggest problems are:
-  The game lack of personal acting - the only places where you acts as single individual are -  quest jail escaping, fights and tavern room, in other cases you are a land party or ship. It follows because of minimum of places you can visit in fact, and minimum persons you can interact with very few dialogs - quest you take from abstract boards, hire soldiers in abstract garrisons, buy properties from abstract town window, visit harbor, town hall etc. only nominal. While in WB you in real running by yourself to return mails, find killer, find spy etc.
In this case their hard work on new beards and faces looks as waste of time - what's the point of it, if there is almost no one to talk, and most of them can tell you almost nothing? :roll:
- Lack of characters, especially no females, and places make world quite 'empty' and 'simplified', also it is cuts a lot of WB mechanics/quests or their adopted to the era analogs, there could be - like no tournaments or some fights; no female - so no wedding, troubadours and poems, duels, lady helpings, quests to ransom daughter of guildmaster's friend; in taverns i also did not met any book sellers, travelers and drunks; no villages - so probably no elder's quests, cattle, raiding villages or helping farmers to free it from bandits; no scenes - no quests like find nervous men, or spy in town, or kill trader, also no night robbers; if lords do not give quests - so no bringing letters, gathering taxes, scouting and bringing the food quests(?); and probably some more
- Many elements are universalized - one for all tavern room, one same city screen, same standard icon for same standard colonies, for part of resourse etc.

Game at once lost a lot elements from one side, but do not get a lot from other, now it looks like undone 'already not a WB-like RPG, but not yet a complete strategy', and i doubt it can be completed on this engine. :roll:

Maybe all this transforms called by lack of resources - team/money/time to end the game, but then question why did you started if you can't end this? :neutral:
1. - Missing loot stayed in release version, and was hotfixed in less than a day.
2. - Nothing to tell here, that's just their preference, that most players do not share.  But still Caribbean is not an M&B game, so can't really dislike game for it
3. - I noticed that disabling load textures on demand speeds up the process, though it still takes a short moment
4. - Will be remade later on, for now just use mouse to command, pretty lame I agree.
5. - Do the main quest, side quests are here mostly to make the beginning easier, probably more will be added
7. - On the sea fights, i thought I am going to dislike them too, but after some time spent with the game, I found myself loving the the most of the entre game. I even avoid boarding and just sink enemy ships (exp) and then gather their loot of the waters, just because it's more enjoyable than boarding ^^
8. - Well I myself started as an escaped convict, it's hard to start, but rewarding.

And pretty much all else you said, can only be answered by  the devs saying, that the game on it's initial realase is a strong solid and playable ground, for a great game, but it's still not the game they are done with.

Of course such a big amount of features not being here just on the word from the devs they will be here looks bad, but personally I like the game at this moment, already spent 50 hours in it, and am having plenty of fun (Also nowhere near to reaching any serious rank ^^).

So yeah, personally I thin the game is worth buying and playing, it's good and will get better and better. But I do understand if people decide the want to wait with playing until the game get's patched, upgraded a bit. It's their choice, though I really do not see much to dislike in this game, it's just simply enjoyable, even when should still be called a late beta rather than initial release.

anyone have a manual?

I am trying to crack the battle command system ,and hit a wall. I know how to move or attack but anything more ( increase line, hold fire, fire, move 10 paces, cant find it:/

wildyracing said:
I know Snowbird spent a lot of time and efforts creating Caribbean!, but as you said why they tried making a game if they can't finish it? And why sell it on Early Access and gain money for nothing if they don't want to make what was expected by their customers? They probably forced the release because the lack of money, but I doubt Caribbean! would sell well in this state.

They must do their best to return the game to its M&B foundation, else everything is lost.

When Viking Conquest was released without many features that was promised the Talesworlds assumed the responsability to release a unfinished title, maybe the problem with the released version of Caribbean was the same. o_o

Hi everybody,

For an additional control of your troops, if its not already been said.
Ive notice for the land battle you can order your troop to move at your location with 1, 2, 3, 4  and also charge with ctrl1 , ctrl2, ctrl3, and ctrl4  ( 1= infan 2= musketer 3= cav ) ( something like that ). and the map with backspace. Is there something else like the classic control of the classic mount and blade ?

But may i ask , Ive never found the way to control my troops in a boarding / action ( naval boarding ) all my troops rush in,  i cant even kill the ennemies sometime because im so far on the deck and the time I get near the ennmies its to late = no xp for my main character.

Agorix said:
But may i ask , Ive never found the way to control my troops in a boarding / action ( naval boarding ) all my troops rush in,  i cant even kill the ennemies sometime because im so far on the deck and the time I get near the ennmies its to late = no xp for my main character.
Neither during boarding nor during sieges can you control your men. And while I can understand it during boarding (it happens fast and it´s chaotic) it´s unacceptable during sieges.

Good to know about 1, 2,3, 4 and CTRL-x.

The news system is about 5 steps behid i relation to old one though.  its hard to place troops in right place ( use the terrain), no ability to set formation ( 1 line, 2 lines, etc) no finetuned movement ( 10 paces forward, etc) and most important for musket armed troops: HOLD FIRE. in WFnS it was most important tool to win engagement, wait for right moment and fire salvo and optimal range.

Big minus on my side.

On other comments, as much as i like he naval combat, i dislike fact about no control over ships guns. even simple hold space long for high shot, tap for shirt range, would be better.

I bought Caribbean! earlier and have yet to install it. It just looked so good, and the -25% off was probably the best offer I'll see in a while. I hope I made the right choice...

SomeHairyGuy said:
I bought Caribbean! earlier and have yet to install it. It just looked so good, and the -25% off was probably the best offer I'll see in a while. I hope I made the right choice...

Yeah, right now Caribbean! is OK for playing. They've still to improve it, but you can still enjoy the game IMHO.

Currently, still wondering how a ship with a crew of 200 can catch my ship of 35. But sure... :facepalm: 

Guess too used to M&B where party size matters, and even extra horses and skills could not make you faster than smaller mounted groups.

Anyone know if you have more ships of sleeker design if you can move faster. So far tried out with sloops and war "brigrettes" or something like that.

Vraelomon said:
I would think that 200 hundred men means a lot of oars in the water. A lot more than 35, at least.

...if oars in game then they would have to take the time to pull oars in and place cannons back in the ports. Therefore allowing me to outrun them...

I doubt oars are of much use for let's see a 6th rate ship. But I think it's easier to manoeuvre them with more men as they help a lot with the sails (and probably other things I don't know). Did you check if your ships have the maximum amount of sailor (you engage them at the shipwright, they don't really help in boarding so you don't see them a lot), I always make sure to have them and upgrade them and I'm never caught by the big fleet.

I could use a second (and third, fourth, etc.) opinion on something. Troop experience and upgrading seems to have been taken out of the game, right?
The Trainer skill is still in however and seems obsolete now. There are special traits that reduce required troop experience until upgrading is available, which seem useless as well.
Also, the Trainer skill is a requirement for traits like "musketeer colonel", yet it would be a bit annoying to spend points on a skill that has no purpose anymore.
Am I missing something here, or has this indeed become quite muddled over time? 

Foeurdr said:
I doubt oars are of much use for let's see a 6th rate ship. But I think it's easier to manoeuvre them with more men as they help a lot with the sails (and probably other things I don't know). Did you check if your ships have the maximum amount of sailor (you engage them at the shipwright, they don't really help in boarding so you don't see them a lot), I always make sure to have them and upgrade them and I'm never caught by the big fleet.

about that boarding stat...

Ive notice yesterday something  I dont understand yet. I have 3 ships in total and a party of 90 men , flag ship = 1 light galleon crew( 140/140) ( with 36 men boarding apparently from the window when you buy your crew ), 1 large flyut crew (64/64), and 1 small flyut maybe 54/54.    Ive boarded a small ship like a sloop a party of 60 smuggler . in the boarding battle I hade around 24 men against 60... how that possible , I was overwhelming them normally... ( its look like my 36 boarding was attacking their 60 party and not thei boarding crew, and my 36 was 24 during the battle. )

your party guys are split between your ships, then the 36 crew that can join your in boarding can be lowered during the naval combat. so from your party you would have 30 guys on your flagship and so on. However the Smugglers have 60 party plus the crew from that joins in with defending the ship

gielen said:
your party guys are split between your ships, then the 36 crew that can join your in boarding can be lowered during the naval combat. so from your party you would have 30 guys on your flagship and so on. However the Smugglers have 60 party plus the crew from that joins in with defending the ship

Thx for that Gielen !  I've sell the small fluyt, and now yes im able to have alot more men in combat. Ive lost cargo space, but oh well 1700 is enough for my trade !

little hint on my side ( for a good income of money similar to wfas ) having take the peddler traits and another merchant traits , and with a 5 of stat in trades.  i do alot of money just bying simple stuff exemple : like cornered beaf and selling it to another town not far away ( where theres no meat ). doing that give me in few sec of travelling 13000 every run for a big stack of cornered beaf, and the town generally replenish fast almost in the same day ( it can be another items/product just check the price you will pay in town A and and the price you will sell in town B, ( ( bigger is ( B-A ) = Joy ). I enjoy this run it pays my building, gears my character, pay the upkeep. it make it a bit more simple since I prefer to fight than just running around everytime for a dime.

So one thing i have noticed, is i can not find clothing anywhere, except when i destroy a ship and randomly collect one from the wreck...Do i have to manually produce it in this game...

[Also, its typically smugglers that have had it, when they had 1 ship with 60 or more people in it.]

Someone really needs to make a guide to the Main Quests & Side Quests because i am utterly lost as to what i should be doing in the Main Quest now. The Side Quest "Eldorado" is really confusing for me too because i am unsure what it requires me to do :razz:

Back
Top Bottom