Garrisoned troops and auto-calculation

Users who are viewing this thread

cnaeusflame

Recruit
Hi,
I heard recently that leaving archers in garrisons are a bad idea since they receive penalties in auto-calculated battles. I just wonder if it's true, though...  :???:

thanks for any proof - or disproof

Huh. I always thought that the auto-calculation was based entirely on level, regardless of equipment and stats. Although, even high levels aren't safe against exclusively low level enemies. A Swadian Knight can be killed by a looter party during auto-calculation. That's why it's a good idea to fight every battle personally.

IIRC in native auto-calc mostly take quantity of troops instead of quality. So you can stuff your garrison with 1000 tier-one troops and it would be unlikely that somebody will attack it. Also wages would be so small that it would be even better for you.
Of course I'm not sure about that especially I haven't played native in, well, a lot of time.

If you are in siege then I just love having most of troops as archers on walls. Damn, enemy can't even make it through the ladder.

That's why it's a good idea to fight every battle personally.
I agree, but siege is especially a situation where auto-calc sometimes just cannot be avoided. Like when you are at the other end of the map and your castle has no messenger post...
Also, I play diplomacy mod, but then it is just so common a mod it almost counts like vanilla...
tomkele: thanks for the info. I think I will just stack up rhodok recruits in my castles, then, and dont worry if they are getting upgraded to crossbowmen. Oh, and I will have to change the kingdom policy regarding vassal armies so that it prioritizes quantity over quality...

I've never had any problems with archers in my garrisons, and never heard of this "penalty" they supposedly have.  I was under the impression that Native (and Diplo) counted quantity much more than quality, as tomkele said.

If you're really worried about it, but want ranged troops in your garrison (as you should: they're hella useful!), you could always use Swadian Militia.  Most of them spawn with crossbows, but they're considered infantry, not archers.  I always recommend them, anyway, as they're cheap, easy to train (they're only tier 2), and easy to recruit unless you're in the farthest corners of the map.

Back
Top Bottom