Feminism

Users who are viewing this thread

Why am I not surprised that the first four replies are all attacks on the validity of the study and calls that this all is just another sexist ploy against men.  :roll:

MMontage and Untitled, I'd be very interested if you could dig up anything about that study or report you wrote about. I have a vague recollection that one of the generational health surveys found that teenage girls were catching up with boys when it came to smoking, drinking, and fighting, but that was ten years ago or more.

Wheem, you can check the methodology here:
http://fra.europa.eu/sites/default/files/fra-violence-against-women-survey-methodology-qa_en.pdf
8. How did the survey measure physical/sexual/psychological violence?
Respondents were asked questions about specific violent acts which the respondent may
have experienced – such as being kicked, slapped, hit, etc. Earlier research has shown that
in this way respondents are more likely to remember and identify incidents of violence. The
questions on experiences of violence did not use terms such as ‘rape’ or ‘abuse’ which
respondents might understand in different ways.
So they weren't asked "have you been abused" but instead asked specific questions.

I didn't attack the validity of the study you talked about, and didn't claim it was a sexist ploy. I questioned the validity of the study that claimed teenage girls were more violent than their male counterparts, since I cannot find any supporting evidence on the internet.

Neither did I, my only problem with the study was the way it was used to put the blame of domestic violence fully on men. Or do you think Henriksson's statement was justified? Also completely needles remark, but if the same survey would be made for men, I think the percentage of those who have experinced violence since the age of 15 would be closer to 100% than 50%. If Finland is a violent contry, it is it for everyone and violence is a broader social issue rather than just a genre issue.

Only thing I could find is news from 2010. I remember reading more recent one, but can't remember where anymore. Statistics they based it on could be found in Tilastokeskus, but I don't feel like searching for them.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/torkea_perhevakivalta_kohdistuu_miehiin_naisia_useammin/5487134

Goker said:
Rebelknight said:
What do you think of BDSM?
Do you think it is wrong and degrading to women even with consent?
What sort of a question is that? Do you assume women can't be the dominant person in such scenarios?
Nope, that is not my question.
I fully know Women can be Dom.
What I'm asking is does she think its wrong when they are the sub.

Damn I wouldn't have guessed that sexual suggestive jokes or comments are classified as sexual harassment. Is it possible to get fined for that? Gotta watch out the next time I go to a club and compliment someone  :shock:

Nevertheless I think it's a good idea to make such a big study about it and I am honestly surprised that the Scandinavian states have such a high rate in comparison to Poland's low rate.

Jhessail said:
Why am I not surprised that the first four replies are all attacks on the validity of the study and calls that this all is just another sexist ploy against men.  :roll:

MMontage and Untitled, I'd be very interested if you could dig up anything about that study or report you wrote about. I have a vague recollection that one of the generational health surveys found that teenage girls were catching up with boys when it came to smoking, drinking, and fighting, but that was ten years ago or more.

Smoking drinking and fighting, eh?

It kinda begs the question whether "masculine" traits are something society ought to value.

Untitled. said:
I didn't attack the validity of the study you talked about, and didn't claim it was a sexist ploy. I questioned the validity of the study that claimed teenage girls were more violent than their male counterparts, since I cannot find any supporting evidence on the internet.
Oh, I'm sorry then, seems that I misunderstood you.

MMontage said:
Neither did I, my only problem with the study was the way it was used to put the blame of domestic violence fully on men. Or do you think Henriksson's statement was justified? Also completely needles remark, but if the same survey would be made for men, I think the percentage of those who have experinced violence since the age of 15 would be closer to 100% than 50%. If Finland is a violent contry, it is it for everyone and violence is a broader social issue rather than just a genre issue.

Only thing I could find is news from 2010. I remember reading more recent one, but can't remember where anymore. Statistics they based it on could be found in Tilastokeskus, but I don't feel like searching for them.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/torkea_perhevakivalta_kohdistuu_miehiin_naisia_useammin/5487134
I feel your pain. I've had to delve into Tilastokeskus quite a few times and their site is almost unreadable. And yes, Finland is a violent country for everyone, that's for sure. I thought you were doing the old bait&switch trick.

rebelsquirrell said:
Smoking drinking and fighting, eh?

It kinda begs the question whether "masculine" traits are something society ought to value.
Yeah, when that study came out, there was quite a lot of talk in the media that, feminism is fine and wonderful, but is it absolutely necessary for women to also emulate all the "bad habits" of men as well. But it seems that State-propaganda is finally bearing some fruit, as the statistics for teenage smoking and drinking show that, every year, the numbers do go down, if quite slowly.

Rebelknight said:
Question for Jhess.

What do you think of BDSM?
Do you think it is wrong and degrading to women even with consent?

I'm really curious.
As long as it is consensual, there is nothing wrong with BDSM, either way.

JeanChristophe said:
More men face violence then women on a day to day basis.
Well, there you have it. I see no possible way that anyone could dispute the accuracy of that statement, so eloquently it was expressed and so exhaustively researched. Please travel immediately to Norway and collect your Nobel Prizes. Do not pass Go, although you may collect $200 if it is offered.

Úlfheðinn said:
Please, don't even associate that idiot with Sweden. We have long since disowned him.
putin%2Bvladimir.gif

Back
Top Bottom