Feedback/observations for v3.9

Users who are viewing this thread

Apstinentas said:
Does anyone else feel that rewards for regular arena fights are a bit too large?

Well, it is incredibly tedious  :twisted: The only thing that could make me do those are the rewards :wink:

Apstinentas said:
Does anyone else feel that rewards for regular arena fights are a bit too large?
I think they are good as is (50, 100, 200, 500 and 2000). Do you also play on hardest difficulty (normal damage), manual blocking and fastest combat speed? If so, then kudos to you if you still find arena fights too easy and rewarding with such options. If not, then turn up the difficulty, and come back then for report :razz: Even if you can 1v1 no problem, there will be some gangbang situations eventually, in which you simply can't parry/block everyone at the same time. And then, all your efforts get ruined for that round...

Brujoloco said:
k0nr@d said:
Overall I don't know where do you have your informations from, but they are not very accurate (at least in case of 3.9).

Mostly was referencing the very old Lothario playthrough:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,259365.msg6222369.html#msg6222369

But yes, I believe I need more time with PoP 3.9 to voice a better opinion, but so far it looks good, I still believe Fierdsvain performs better in Autocalc, mostly due to Autocalc ignoring terrain alongside raw hps of overall troops, whereas Dshar for me, still underperforms in that area, which has been a pet peeve of mine for a while.

Though what I wrote before was a very ample and gross generalization, I still feel a slight deviation on autocalc battles favors certain kingdoms over others, regardless of the way they pile up in super stacks or how their marshall perform and its aggresiveness rating.

That is another factor, alongside Kingdom location (old paradigms where shattered with the dispersal of the Dshar further down in the desert and repositioning of Fierdsvain fully along coast and Ravenstern slight repositioning) but since we are voicing some opinions here, I still see the Dshar for example, being an Underdog overall.

The Only plus I have seen so far for them is the distance of some of their castles make it less appealing for some pilestacks of doom of the AI to calculate reaching them and protect their territories at the same time, but this is from more recent versions and not just 3.9.

But I really enjoy the new changes, specially since I have been here for well , over 7 years playing this wonderful mod  :grin:

I nonetheless always end up changing some troops, I usually nerf the Fierds and Empire out of the blue, which always makes my game more interesting, since I end up playing mercenary for a long time.

Cheers!

You are correct about Fierdsvain and Empire troop’s value.
They do have troops with more value than others, both infantries and cavalries.
Perhaps that’s because they all have fewer towns, and dealing with many enemies.

Gorvex said:
Apstinentas said:
I think they are good as is (50, 100, 200, 500 and 2000). Do you also play on hardest difficulty (normal damage), manual blocking and fastest combat speed? If so, then kudos to you if you still find arena fights too easy and rewarding with such options. If not, then turn up the difficulty, and come back then for report :razz: Even if you can 1v1 no problem, there will be some gangbang situations eventually, in which you simply can't parry/block everyone at the same time. And then, all your efforts get ruined for that round...

Only started to use manual block, combat speed is set to faster, but getting to 20 KOs is quite easy. Just wanted to see what people think about the whole thing. My 'problem', I suppose, is that it feels very easy early on to earn money by just going to the arena.

D'Shar and Ravenstern are dominating in my game for those discussing the faction balance.  The only faction I aligned myself with was the Baccus Empire until I formed my own kingdom.

20180408220736_1.jpg

This is after ~1600 days.

Apstinentas said:
It's fairly easy to make money in this mod in general. If anything, the increased arena rewards make the initial grind a bit less tedious, since you can get some starting denars that way.

grimm4 said:
D'Shar and Ravenstern are dominating in my game for those discussing the faction balance.  The only faction I aligned myself with was the Baccus Empire until I formed my own kingdom.

20180408220736_1.jpg

This is after ~1600 days.

In my game sarleon also got destroyed and by day 100.

LORDS
lord with a small army (<=70 soldiers or <=60% of "ideal party size"), who is currently at a walled fief (e.g. was beaten and just respawn), should not leave location

That is working for sure but I believe it needs to be tweaked and contextualized.

Fierdsvain were down to 1 castle so all vassals struggled at 0 wealth and stayed within their last walled fief. They were at war with Ravenstern. In an effort to help Fierdsvain reclaim some land, I attacked the adjacent Ravenstern town and brought it from an 800 garrison to 20 by retreating at the last moment. I did this multiple times with other castles and towns as well to the same effect.

I think in that context, being on their last limbs, a faction on their last walled fief should forego the ideal party size and attack a tiny garrison for the taking.

Some weird stuff

Was moving troops from Singal to Tuldar when I came back to Singal it was under attack, I got no "Singal has been beseiged by X" mesagge.
It was under attack from a single D'Shar lord(mansour bey), I think what happened was that he chased a Sarleon lord to Singal and was able to instantly attack it similar to spawned armies sacking cities.

Joining a fight with Ulric and another lord versus Koningur Valdis and a mercenary company, after the battle I got a notification saying that the leader of the merc company had escaped, Valdis simply vanished(appearing later in his fief as per the notes section).
I later joined a battle against Kadan v 4 lords and he vanished after the battle, no message that he escaped same as what happened with Valdis

Fighting Kodan Ironsword(his army is a bit weak compared to other similar companies), after killing the cavalry and zerker part of his army, the remainder proceeded to retreat and very slowly move to the northwest part of the map. Picture of it below
IToPXhe.jpg

An empire army pulled off a very similar tatic, I think it might have been caused by the terrain(very hilly) but I have fought many battles in hilly terrain and only seen it on the above occassions.

I have never before seen an AI army break off a siege assault but in 3.9, I have seen it twice.
A mystmountain army attacking Poinsbruk, after getting the notification I went there to take part in the battle but when I got there, the Poinsbruk garrison was reduced by about 30% and the mystmountain army was fighting 3 Ravenstern lords.
The second time I was right beside the town when it happened, the Empire was assaulting Singal and after a short while they broke off the assault and chased and engaged a D'Shar lord that was passing by, they broke off the siege after defeating the lord(they could have easily taken it).

Singal attacking scene dosen't have the inventory box.

Apstinentas said:
k0nr@d said:

What?
Konrad referred to this issue, which will be fixed in 3.9.1:
chuhrros said:
LORDS
lord with a small army (<=70 soldiers or <=60% of "ideal party size"), who is currently at a walled fief (e.g. was beaten and just respawn), should not leave location

That is working for sure but I believe it needs to be tweaked and contextualized.

Fierdsvain were down to 1 castle so all vassals struggled at 0 wealth and stayed within their last walled fief. They were at war with Ravenstern. In an effort to help Fierdsvain reclaim some land, I attacked the adjacent Ravenstern town and brought it from an 800 garrison to 20 by retreating at the last moment. I did this multiple times with other castles and towns as well to the same effect.

I think in that context, being on their last limbs, a faction on their last walled fief should forego the ideal party size and attack a tiny garrison for the taking.

One of my biggest gripes right now is the food situation. Fielding an army of 200+ is a major PITA, unless you got a steady supply of supply wagons (or whatever those were called). It's just so annoying, having to constantly remember to fill up with food every time you get near a town.

Some other mods did away with this by either changing food consumption mechanics or by making food items last longer (f.ex. a single food item having 100 units, instead of 30 or so). Having experienced that, this is really painful and annoying.

[ptx] said:
One of my biggest gripes right now is the food situation. Fielding an army of 200+ is a major PITA, unless you got a steady supply of supply wagons (or whatever those were called). It's just so annoying, having to constantly remember to fill up with food every time you get near a town.

Some other mods did away with this by either changing food consumption mechanics or by making food items last longer (f.ex. a single food item having 100 units, instead of 30 or so). Having experienced that, this is really painful and annoying.

dont carry too many troops until you have two castles so you can take two trains for 1000 every two weeks. its so easy after that.

Food is free and there's no need in Baggage Trains at all. Trade food for money and useless loot in villages and have huge variety in inventory to not have morale issues even with low leadership. Later troops can be transported between garrisons without food at all. There are no problems with food in this mod - it actually works very well.

Does running out of food even do anything besides minor morale penalty and making certain companions upset? Asking because I've never hanged around without food for long :???:

Striptokop said:
Does running out of food even do anything besides minor morale penalty and making certain companions upset? Asking because I've never hanged around without food for long :???:

The morale penalty for no food can be pretty steep with a large army, which can already be hard to keep happy without constant victories. Not only are you losing a good chunk of morale every day your troops go hungry, but you're also not getting any of the morale bonuses that the food gives. My guys usually start deserting pretty quick when I run out of food

[ptx] said:

I never run around with a force that big unless I'm actively at war and about to siege. Generally Leave the bulk of my force in castle/town (helps deter enemy sieges) until I have a target. My usual party is only 25 (elites. royal guards, or CKO's).... this helps with looting and map speed. Then I swing by grab them and food/baggage trains for the campaign. I also almost always have 3 baggage trains when I do this since they spawn every 2 weeks and can just be stocked up in your castle/town chest.

This tactic also keeps costs down.... since wages are halved for garrisoned troops.

Back
Top Bottom