Favourite Paintings of the Napoleonic Wars

Users who are viewing this thread

30a5kzq.jpg

Captured Joe said:
Vicccard said:
guardhanaucannon.jpg

Nice! That figure in front (taking out a new cartridge) is actually an old guard artillerist!  :grin:
How do you see that? :eek:

BTW, poor Bavarians! (Artist didn't even bother to give them the right sexy uniforms! :sad: )

Its their own fault for betraying France!  :twisted:

Jean-George said:
zpage424.gif

Napoleon Cheering his men on before the battle of ???

Good question. The flag is of the 1812 pattern, but as it has no regimental distinction on is, the artist probably just painted it cos it's so pretty. It's in winter, which would either make it 1807, or offcourse, 1812. The shakos in the back are also of a late pattern, which would make russia more plausible.

I believe that it hadn't snowed the night before Austerlitz.

Joe, the artillerists bearskin has a visor (een klep).

Edit: offcourse, artists sometimes completly ignore all facts etc and just paint what they like. I can be utterly wrong.

The national French tricolour (At that time) had bees all over it. For regiments, the tricolour pattern was introduced in 1812 (All trough according to some sources, the pupilles de la garde had a tricolour flag as early as 1810)

The only French tricolour I've seen with bees on it (and without arms) is the personal standard of Empress Eugenia, of the second empire - which has nothing to do with 1805 by a long shot and wasn't a national flag. I'm strongly confident the national colours never changed from 1794 when they were defined by decree of the National Convention, to the Bourbon Restoration.

Captured Joe said:
Leberecht Reinhold said:
Im wondering about this painting, though. That hat doesnt look like a typical shako. Is from the period?
Balkan/Hungarian irregulars in Austrian service frequently wore such shakos. Also, some regiments of hungarian hussars had shakos like that too. It seems these are the latter.

Its so supposed to be Spain. French didnt have it, so I guess is some Spanish Hussar unit?

Leberecht Reinhold said:
Captured Joe said:
Leberecht Reinhold said:
Im wondering about this painting, though. That hat doesnt look like a typical shako. Is from the period?
Balkan/Hungarian irregulars in Austrian service frequently wore such shakos. Also, some regiments of hungarian hussars had shakos like that too. It seems these are the latter.

Its so supposed to be Spain. French didnt have it, so I guess is some Spanish Hussar unit?

It's the 5e Hussars. Blue dolman, white pelisse. Spanish hussars had a very ugly light green uniform with a tarleton. Brrr, the horror.

Bluehawk said:
The only French tricolour I've seen with bees on it (and without arms) is the personal standard of Empress Eugenia, of the second empire - which has nothing to do with 1805 by a long shot and wasn't a national flag. I'm strongly confident the national colours never changed from 1794 when they were defined by decree of the National Convention, to the Bourbon Restoration.

Don't forget that Napoleon tried to erase most of the connections with the old revolution.

The only tricolors with eagles on them, were the regimental ones in 1812 and later.

Vicccard said:
Spanish hussars had a very ugly light green uniform with a tarleton. Brrr, the horror.
No, those were their Cazadores, their mounted chasseurs.

Hussars had different colored uniforms (just like the French and other countries' Hussar regiments), and wore Mirliton hats.

Leberecht Reinhold said:

They are Spanish hussards but after the Napoleonic Wars, they are from the Carlist War (Guerras Carlistas), so they are not hungarian :lol:. Unfortunately I can't recognize the regiment.

Back
Top Bottom