Favourite Paintings of the Napoleonic Wars

Users who are viewing this thread

nice that you ask!

Well, I've made a table which shows all the units. I can show it if you want.
Edit: Damn it, I'm showing it anyway! I worked long and hard on it!

425060_165664603567717_1510330769_n.jpg

We were EVERYWHERE!  :mrgreen:

Notes(as its all in Dutch): The Corps of vélites was disbanded. The majority went into the 5de, a few into the 6de.

The 18de was left behind in Bruxelles, the 27ste fought very bravely at Quatre-bras and Waterloo.

NOW BACK ON TOPIC!

Joseph Bonaparte in Andalusia:
napoleonicaespaaviajede.jpg

Spanish cavalry charge:
reg+espa%C3%B1a+bailen+ultimred.jpg

Spanish troops in the siege of Gerona:
Ferrer+Dalmau.jpg

And finally, the Imperial Army :mrgreen::
napoleonicaelejercitoim.jpg

All of this paintings are from Spanish artists, the first one is Augusto Ferrer Dalmau, and the other one is Dionisio Alvarez Cueto.

Vicccard said:
It means Londred, I re-enact not only the biggest and most international regiment in the guard, but also one of the few regiments who defended Paris. Besides that, they (7eme, 8eme and 9eme Tirailleurs) also fought at Leipzig and a bunch of other battles.
AND IF THAT IS NOT ENOUGH: they also probably wore the unique Pupille uniform during the 1813-14 campaign. I'm just really excited  :grin:

And, yes, you can have it! I HATE IT!
Vicccard said:
nice that you ask!

Well, I've made a table which shows all the units. I can show it if you want.
Edit: Damn it, I'm showing it anyway! I worked long and hard on it!

425060_165664603567717_1510330769_n.jpg

We were EVERYWHERE!  :mrgreen:

Notes(as its all in Dutch): The Corps of vélites was disbanded. The majority went into the 5de, a few into the 6de.

The 18de was left behind in Bruxelles, the 27ste fought very bravely at Quatre-bras and Waterloo.

NOW BACK ON TOPIC!
Interesting, nice to know a bit more about the other nations' (It was a French regiment wasn't it then some were in the Dutch army, is this correct?) units at this time, i only realy know anything about the British army, especially my Local unit at the time the 27th.

Also, good, this Ipod creature shall sufice very well for tommorow's dinner.

Back on topic:

Yes, you all guessed it, it's another picture of the 27th!

prep-for-cavalry-postcardjpg.jpg

DiplexHeated said:
And does anyone have some info on these?

242782-stranger.jpg

226869-stranger.jpg

I don't know who painted the first, but it portrays the Young Guard.
The second is another Averyanov painting - "General Delzons in the Battle of Maloyaroslavets"

Bluehawk said:
DiplexHeated said:
And does anyone have some info on these?

242782-stranger.jpg

226869-stranger.jpg

I don't know who painted the first, but it portrays the Young Guard.
The second is another Averyanov painting - "General Delzons in the Battle of Maloyaroslavets"

Ah thanks Bluehawk!

I read up on the battle, it was quite a small one, and Delzons died during it.

Mad_man1 said:
Cuirassiers at battle of Friedland 1807

Friedland%2C_1807_%281875%29_Ernest_Meissonier.jpg

You sir have given me a new background!

Diplex, the 1st picture is a regiment of tirailleur de la garde, but early period, when they were called tirailleur-grenadiers. There were also tirailleur-chasseurs, and they became the voltiguers of the guard.

This is my absolute favourite painting of Marshal Ney, its probably his finest hour, where he fromed a rearguard action in the retreat from Russia.
adolpheyvon18171893mars.jpg

And heres a little more info about the event itself: Marshal Ney then formed the rear guard while the Cossacks quickly closed on him. He formed his troops into square and, taking musket in his own hand, let them onwards. By midnight he reached Dnepr River and crossed it. On November 21 he reached Orsha and Napoleon.
Ney's die-hards' arrival in Orsha raised the morale of the army. For this action Ney was given the nickname ‘the bravest of the brave’ by Napoleon.

1er_Gren_Mr_T said:
This is my absolute favourite painting of Marshal Ney, its probably his finest hour, where he fromed a rearguard action in the retreat from Russia.
adolpheyvon18171893mars.jpg

And heres a little more info about the event itself: Marshal Ney then formed the rear guard while the Cossacks quickly closed on him. He formed his troops into square and, taking musket in his own hand, let them onwards. By midnight he reached Dnepr River and crossed it. On November 21 he reached Orsha and Napoleon.
Ney's die-hards' arrival in Orsha raised the morale of the army. For this action Ney was given the nickname ‘the bravest of the brave’ by Napoleon.

A general using a Musket!?!?
Our British gentlemen offcers and generals would never be so crude (Unless they're that rogue Sharpe :mad:.)!  :grin:

Vicccard said:
HE IS A MARSHAL YOU FOOOOOOL!

( :wink:)
A marshal is basically a general who says "I WANT TO SOUND MORE IMPORTANT" and rank's himself marshal as far as I can tell, British gentlemen much more modest, we just have "General" "Major General" and the like. They don't use Muskets.  :smile:

Napoleon made his generals marshal when he thought they were capable of fighting on their own. It's not something they would give themself or ask for, but something they had to work really hard for.

British 'gentlemen' just thought they were better then their men.

Back
Top Bottom