Exercise regimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jhnking said:
and the trees in my area have medium height branches that are too thick to hold for a pullup)

Even better! You train your grip at the same time. The overhand thumbless grip is the best one for transferance to real world activities, and for ****'s sake don't kip. Leave that **** for Crossfit and their 'look we can do deadhang pullups!' propaganda programme for women.

You could also look into getting an aluminium walker or something similar for dips. These wobble a little but are eminently usable, and that instability will allow you to make regular dips your *****.

Rifleman said:

Nobody ever got to squatting 1.5x their body weight without a strong core. :razz:

Also, if you can do a front lever and a back lever, you're solid on the 'core' front. Throw in things like macebells, sledgehammer work and ab wheels and I'd make the case that these produce a far more stable and usable core than lying on your back and flapping a lot. :lol:

Out of curiosity though, what are Aladdins? Couldn't find a reference to them in my quick search.

Seff said:
Combined armor and infantry would be a good time to wear reflective equipment, btw.

I meant on FOBs. You must have been to a few American ones while you were deployed? People are always getting chewed for not wearing reflective belts over their cammies. Although, truth be told, I can't remember ever having to wear reflective equipment with armored units, and I'm currently assigned to an infantry company in an armored regiment.

Night-Ninja: Sit down, lean backwards a bit, cross your feet with knees bent, lift them off the floor. Hands together or holding a medicine ball in your lap. Rotate your torso and move your hands so that they touch the floor on one side then on the other and continue. Not sure if that's what they're called by most people, it's what my platoon always referred to them as.

You've never worn reflective equipment when on night-time exercises with a mix of armor and infantry? Our rules were tightened a lot after one conscript died sleeping in an armor track, but still, it's pretty sensible to be careful like that, especially since nobody uses visible lighting anymore.

Yeah, people got *****ed at all the time for not wearing them in Bastion, by the Brits. No such thing was enforced in Price, and Hazrat was pure anarchy by military standards, on purpose.

Honestly, not really. We use glow sticks more frequently if we're doing something at night. I only transferred to my new unit recently, however, from a full infantry division, so I haven't been on too many exercises with them.

:lol: About reflective belts on FOBs - Real Men of Genius - Reflective Belt

We considered plastering ourselves in snaplights when working with Americans in A-stan, trying to avoid friendly fire. :lol:

We could have used snaplights to the same end as reflective stuff, though, yeah.

Oh, come on, most of the friendly fire in the Stan comes from the Afghans, not us. There's just more of us compared to y'all other soldiers so there's more friendly fire incidents with us. :razz:

Or just pissed-off or stoned or both. One Afghan sergeant shot another in the back because the latter ordered the former to help cook dinner while I was down their for the second time. Recorded the medevac, actually, Chinooks are cool.
But yes, I've taken unintentional friendly fire from ANSF several times. Negligent discharge only, though.

Rifleman: I can add an anecdote from A-stan a few years ago where US troops fired on Danes traveling in APCs. Presumably they assumed that the Taliban had begun using armor on that very day, and with Danish flags too! :shock:

Anecdotes aside, I've personally stood and watched US soldiers do such a rotten job of sweeping for mines and explosive devices that one of our guys could later follow a cleared path and find an IED with his eyes. It was all recorded by Discovery Channel for the new season of Bomb Hunter or somesuch, so the incident should be well-documented, if not well-publicized. :razz:

The BBC3 programme Our War had an episode about ANA (might have been ANP) in which they though  they saw some Taliban on the otherside of a field so all 20 of them turned and fired from essentially from the hip with RPG's and all, turned out to be some kids... One of the kids took a round to the shoulder and had to be medevaced to Bastion, it's safe to say the 5 or so Brits there with them got quite annoyed.

Oh ho ho, I can't imagine why. :lol:

The ANA in the smallest camp I was in surprised us by NOT beating a guy they'd captured after he'd set off an IED next to us.

Kobrag: Not a scratch. Only thing is a burn scar on my neck from the shooting range in Bastion.

Eh, there's a lot of ****bags in our Army, but there's a lot of good soldiers too.

I have to say, the ANA has very wild extremes in behavior. There's model soldiers who have trigger discipline and cool heads, and then there's incompetent idiots who shouldn't be allowed within 50 meters of a firearm. In my opinion, as a whole, the ANA is just a gigantic foul up, though.

Back
Top Bottom