Elder Scrolls 5:Skyrim

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My best experiences stemmed from finding **** off the beaten trail. I remember dragging the corpse of a fallen Legionnaire into a river for a proper burial because he'd saved my ass from Daedra.

I actually like it being set in Skyrim. Although Summerset Isle, or wherever the **** the Altmer come from, would've probably allowed their imaginations to run more free like in Morrowind(for some reason, I was under the feeling that TESV would take place in either Skyrim or Summerset isle,) I like snowy mountains and ****.

I wonder if the tons of Viking stuff they'll be adding will resemble more the 19th century misconception of horned or winged helmets and goofy platemail valkyrie bra, or the more realistic stuff.

You don't really have to wonder about that. :razz: I very much doubt the Skyrim Nords equipment will be realistic vikingy. I sort of would have liked it to take place in Valenwood or Elsweyr.

Wellenbrecher said:
Or fast travel for that matter.
Remember when you had to travel to that monastery in the mountains with the not-yet-crowned Emperor and that old man? Yeah, shortest quest ever. Just one click on the map.

Then again, traveling yourself meant stopping every five seconds so they can kill some random bear/wolf/whatever.

Another thing I didn't like about Oblivion was simply its style; Morrowind had a few distinct styles for different Vvanderfell regions, whereas Oblivion has, well, two styles: Cities, and snowy cities. And that's ****ing it. This is why I'm actually glad they put the fast travel feature in; Unlike Morrowind, travelling through Cyrodill was quite boring. There is no grand city or structure that makes you go "Holy ****", save for the first time you see the Imperial Tower, and even then it's just "Aww, that's nice." Just compare Vivec to this ****, and you'll see what a really impressive city is. Or Mournhold.

Erm, Vivec was a bunch of brownish yellow boxes. With mazes built inside. It wasn't exactly spectacular. Mournhold was a bit nicer, but all in all, Bethesda hasn't so far done a particularly good job at making epic fantasy capitals.

The size of the boxes makes it a relatively impressive sight when you go there for the first time and it happens to be a bit foggy. I wonder what kind of ruins they'll make in Skyrim. Oblivion had Elven ruins.. and, well, Elven ruins, and Morrowind had Dunmer strongholds, Dwemer stronger-holds, Daedric shrines and Daedric ruins to vist and empty.

And Mournhold wasn't very impressive at all. You couldn't see it on a bigger picture. No-flying was a cop out.

Nahkuri said:
Remember when you had to jog across half the ****ing Island in morrowind, because you had to bring 5 bottles of beer for some thirsty miners(an exciting quest of adventure and danger, no?) working in the middle of the ashlands, and back again, because you didn't have the mark & recall spells? With stamina that decreased while running, forcing you to walk painfully s-l-o-w-ly every once in a while because you wanted to have as much stamina as possible if you wanted to have the slightest chance to hit that fiftysecond cliffracer once it attacked you?
Yeah, I cursed a lot about that.
But I think you got my post wrong. I didn't mean to add that to the list of things I found to be better in Morrowind.
Mounts were a great addition and I really, really, really hope that they stay in.

It's just that it somewhat defeats the idea of a huge unique (heh) world if you can just one-click travel everywhere.

Elenmmare said:
I actually rode, before I figured out how to use the map. I was young.

Hehe, me too... I remember when I played the game for the first time with my friend...
We were riding to the Imperial city, and we've had no idea that there even was a map... We were following the sings on the road, and we got lost...
It was like .... Omg, Cyrodil is huge, we're never going to reach Imperial city... But the thing was... We were riding in circles around lake Rumare  :lol:

Nahkuri said:
Erm, Vivec was a bunch of brownish yellow boxes. With mazes built inside. It wasn't exactly spectacular. Mournhold was a bit nicer, but all in all, Bethesda hasn't so far done a particularly good job at making epic fantasy capitals.

Vivec wasn't stunningly beautiful, but it wasn't meant to be. It was meant to be different, and meaningful, and it certainly was; A holy city consisted of gigantic interconnected floating cantons, each representing a city district with its own origin and purpose, with a maze-like interior containing a ****load of water. The home of a ****ing living God, policed not by a bunch of peasants or city commoners, but by the Ordinators, a garrison of zealous guards sworn to protect Vivec and uphold his laws. Oh, and there's also the giant ****ing meteor floating above Vivec's Temple.

See, this is stuff I remember for a while after playing the game.

Oblivion's generic fantasy city+castle, copied into 10 different places on the map, I keep trying to forget. Also, since this is a TESV thread: I am fairly excited about the fact that Skyrim is the next location to be visited: Solstheim is still, after all, my favourite setting in any TES game, and it was supposed to be a mere sample of what Skyrim would be like.

Edit: Hoooray, I made a mistake! It seems that Skyrim will be using a new engine afterall!

Nahkuri said:
Wellenbrecher said:
Or fast travel for that matter.
Remember when you had to travel to that monastery in the mountains with the not-yet-crowned Emperor and that old man? Yeah, shortest quest ever. Just one click on the map.

Then again, traveling yourself meant stopping every five seconds so they can kill some random bear/wolf/whatever.

Remember when you had to jog across half the ****ing Island in morrowind, because you had to bring 5 bottles of beer for some thirsty miners(an exciting quest of adventure and danger, no?) working in the middle of the ashlands, and back again, because you didn't have the mark & recall spells? With stamina that decreased while running, forcing you to walk painfully s-l-o-w-ly every once in a while because you wanted to have as much stamina as possible if you wanted to have the slightest chance to hit that fiftysecond cliffracer once it attacked you?

I never gave the slightest diddly crap about my stamina. It's ****ing easy to make stamina potions, and at high quality they're ridiculously good. No weight, low sale value, but restore fatigue 53 for 121 seconds? That's really more than you'll ever need to run/fight anything.  Especially because it's also fairly easy to tack on a restore health to the same potion.

High skill levels in whatever you were trying to do usually helped, too.

I always got lucky and found some random item that was enchanted out the ass to restore fatigue, so I never cared about it either. :neutral:

To hijack this thread a bit again - I installed Oblivion and when I get into the dialogue with the emperor, the game keeps running, but the cursor freezes. Google hasn't given me any solutions. :/

Anyone knows why it's doing that or how to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom