<<<<< DOWNLOAD >>>>>> -Main Topic- +POLL

PLEASE ANSWER: What did you like more in 1755 Old Frontier? (thx to all of you!!!)

• The flora and panoramas, forests, rivers

Votes: 232 11.5%
  • The sounds of people and battles

Votes: 234 11.6%
  • The music

Votes: 148 7.3%
  • The indians

Votes: 342 16.9%
  • The european troops

Votes: 801 39.7%
  • I cannot decide. I love all that mix!

Votes: 699 34.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
poomtang said:
Well that's good to hear, I'll be standing next to you when we advance in line together, to show the buggers a thing or two, they should have paid their tea taxes. By the way, I'm making a sergeant model just like your avatar, but it shall only be available in the stores, rather than an upgrade for infantrymen.

Good to hear. I`ll be able to recruit a whole regiment of ermmmm me,  that`s a sobering thought  :mrgreen: 

A good source regarding the redcoats, specifically the Royal Welch Fusiliers, can be found in Mark Urbans `Fusiliers` book. It has a lot of info based on first hand accounts from the soldiers themselves.

I'm making a series of models for Sgts, here's the first one, a centre company Sgt for the 3rd foot guards, what I want to avoid is armies full of Sgt's, so Dan if you could make these uniforms only available from the town merchants rather than a troop upgrade I think that would be sensible, then only the player character or companions will be Sgt's.
openBrf%202011-05-21%2018-14-00-36.jpg

Light companies tended to consist of the fastest and most agile soldiers of a regiment. In 1771 a light company was added to every British infantry battalion. The leather helmet that light company soldiers wore was practical and lightweight, but still strong enough to protect the wearer from sword and tomahawk blows. As well as helmets, light company troops were distinguished from other companies in their battalion by shorter coats and gaiters. I'll be making a light infantry soldier today along with the helmet, picture shortly.
auvBG.jpg

Cuireach said:
poomtang said:
I'm making a series of models for Sgts, here's the first one, a centre company Sgt for the 3rd foot guards, what I want to avoid is armies full of Sgt's,
Oh well so no regiment of me then, probably for the best  :grin:
I like the Lee legion trooper.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry to interrupt you "redcoats" but I am just impressed!! :shock:
Poomtang, your models are so close to the real things!!
Cuireach your pics are great, as well!!
ALAAAAN, pls keep in touch with him for menu pics :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Gabby

Thanks Gabby, Pleased you like them.  There`s quite a number of pics like this on the net. Pity most of them are only small in size.

poomtang said:
Light companies tended to consist of the fastest and most agile soldiers of a regiment. In 1771 a light company was added to every British infantry battalion.

Forced into existence by the hard lessons learned in the French Indian wars and proof that the British army could adapt their fighting style to suit the surroundings. Fighting just like the skirmishers in later decades.  It must have been unnerving to fight like that without a neighbour inches away for comfort.  Quick legs would be the order of the day I suppose.

Apparently some cavalry regiments fought dismounted as light troops. I like this piccy of a trooper from the 16th(Queens Own) light dragoons.

I'm really looking forward to the release of this mod, but I've been wondering about the direction of it. I played the 1755 mod and enjoyed it for what it was - it was a fun mod (though it needed polish), but it did not seem particularly historically accurate.

I've seen the amazingly accurate models that the team have created for 1776 and have read through the history thread, pleased to see that such a detailed approach to the history is being taken. However, I'm worried that the coding of the mod won't reflect this historical detail.

In 1755 OF, Indian feather hats (and some Indian faces) have 40 armour, while others have 5; some clothes have 40 armour, while others have 14; some guns do 30ish damage, while at least one (the hunting musket) does 170 damage; pistols fire 2 shots (I understand that it's meant to be 'two pistols', but why not just let the player equip two pistols?); horses are faster and more manoeuvrable than a modern sports car on the road; starting strength and agility are insanely high, leaving no room for varied character builds (I've seen gab say before that some people like it that way - why don't those people just use cheats to get their stats so insanely high?) and you can (seemingly) only start as an Indian who irritatingly screams aloud when changing weapons. Also, nothing to do with realism, but that bloody sword unsheathing sound whenever you click on something is simply atrocious.

Don't get me wrong, I think 1755 is fun, but it lacks a lot of polish, which lets the historical accuracy of it down. It seems that it wouldn't take much to make it perfect either, but I'm not sure if that's what the mod team actually wants to do (hence, this post).

So, in short, will 1776 be aimed more at being historically accurate in it's coding? I can see amazing detail in the other aspects which have been shown, but I fear that in game there'll be cheat weapons, cheat armours, cheat stats and odd design choices which will severely detract from the realism of the mod; making it more of an odd arcade shooter based in the American revolution. Perhaps some people liked the cheat aspects, but I'd say that the majority of people who downloaded were hoping for a realistic representation of 1755 warfare/life like the screenshots showed. I think that anyone who wants a cheat mod would probably just download a cheat mod for Warband - while surely those who're interested in a history mod are interested in...well...history and historical accuracy and realism.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too harsh or critical of 1755 - as I've said, it was fun, though it lacked sorely in realism because of the coding. I'm just asking whether 1776 is aimed at being a fun arcade shooter or whether it's aimed at being a relatively realistic mod.

Thanks guys, and it's looking great so far - I really can't wait for this to come out.

PS. I see that many on here are pro-British Empire - I look forward to destroying you as an American revolutionary in multiplayer!  :twisted:

Mattressi said:
PS. I see that many on here are pro-British Empire - I look forward to destroying you as an American revolutionary in multiplayer!  :twisted:

Bring it on !!  :mrgreen:

I too prefer historically accurate games/mods but some people have expressed an interest is the more fantastical side of 1755 and Gabby and his team cant make two versions of the mod to suit everyone.  Certain aspects, such as the sword sound unsheathing sound, can be changed by the user. Info is usually provided how to do this.

That said, I do hope that the 1766 turns out the way it looks at the moment. Great models and some nice accurate fighting styles to put the fear of god in those yankee rebels :grin:

Thanks for your comments, most interesting, although I merely make the models, the historical research is mostly done for me. I'd prefer to see 1776 made as accurately as possible and as well as we can, I'd prefer to see no arcade shooter style coding in the mod, no repeater flintlock pistols etc, we have two guys with history majors advising us on the historical accuracy of virtually every aspect of the mod from uniforms, to place names, locations, units, battles and in game characters, believe it or not they contribute massively. If I get so much as a button out of place I get to know about it. I'm sure they feel the same, as it would be a waste of their time, if we made this an arcade style shooter/fantasy fest. I just hope we can pull it off with all the necessary formations, volley fire, and accurate uniforms. The only problem is that it might not all happen in the V1 release, the only thing holding us back at the moment is the map once that is sorted you'll get a V.1 release, but it won't be perfect and not everything we want in game will be included in the V.1.

Awesome, that sounds great! I'm not so concerned about whether historical details are left out (if certain formations are hard to code or something similar); it's more just that I was worried that unhistorical details would be added in. I was just a little concerned that there'd be bullet-proof feather head garments and other odd 'features' like in 1755.

I'm really excited for this release now. The shear historical accuracy and detail in everything that I've seen from you guys just blows me away and I can't wait to play it. I think I'll kit up as Lee's Legion soldier - the model looks fantastic and the (little) information I've found on them is fascinating.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys have put into the mod - I really appreciate it, and it seems that many others do too :smile:

Haven't really had much time today, but here's how far I got with our Light Infantryman, forced to go shopping with the wife, still working on the helmet, should be finished soon, note the shorter jacket, the dragoon's helmet is similar to the light infantry one and should give an idea of how things will look on this model.
openBrf%202011-05-22%2019-06-00-83.jpg

The signatures look nice and its great idea for a mod. Since you guys did really well with 1755, I am hoping you'll do the same with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom