Don't feel pressured Taleworlds

Users who are viewing this thread

Shaxx said:
CD Projekt Red has only ballooned relatively recently, in 2011/2010 (around when Witcher 2 was released) they were significantly similar in size to Taleworlds. In 2015 that all changed with the Witcher 3, which they could have aimed to make twice as big, twice as long or kept redesigning the game's pine cones for the 87th time ad-infinitum but instead chose not to in order to meet a reasonable release window.
It could have done with an additional year or so of developpement if you ask me. TW3 is one of my favorite games of all time but I sometimes struggle to have fun playing it because of the god-awful movement, combat, RPG mechanics, and just the entire gameplay aspects of the game in general. I love this game because of its artistic qualities but I 100% wouldn't have minded for CDPR to take more time to polish up the game and make it actually enjoyable to play.
But realistically, I'm not sure this would have been possible due to budget constraints and all that. If it had been, I'm making an assumption here, I think they would have taken the extra year of developpement. My reasoning being that CDPR aren't known to make cheap cash-grab games to then run away with the money. They actually care about the quality of the content they make. Again, I'm making assumptions here and I hope this doesn't come across at too fan-boyi.
Taleworlds are taking their time to release the game because they can afford to. If they didn't, the game would be out already.
Shaxx said:
They made a ton of denars and hired a metric ton of new employees to make their next game, which is one to two years away from release despite being a significantly larger project than than the Witcher 3 or even Bannerlord for that matter and all of it is thanks to actually releasing games for people to buy.

If Taleworlds fails to release the game at the 10 year mark (2020) one has to ask if they will really even be able to call themselves a game studio anymore. I mean, what kind of game studio can't manage to release a single game inside the span of a decade?
Is there a rulebook somewhere that says that if a game studio hasn't released a game in ten years then it immediately and suddenly ceases to be a games studio?
Because they haven't released a game in ten years then that means that the folks at Taleworlds actually aren't working on a video game? What the **** are they doing then?
Yes, they're just coming to the office every day of the week for 10 years to actually not release a video game. Right?
They just enjoy each other's company and wasting their time and energy on something they have no intention of ever releasing!  :party:
Shaxx said:
And With Fire and Sword/Viking Conquest do not count, those were basically just glorified mods they helped publish and did not develop themselves.

I think if they announced it in 2015 people would still expect the game by 2016/2017 considering they started in 2010 as evidenced here, here (a 2010 Bannerlord hire) and here (although in a different language in this last one he mentions starting in 2010).

Either it will be or they will close their doors.
Sure they'll just scrap ten years of work for 0 profit instead of releasing the ****ing thing.

Shaxx said:
If Taleworlds fails to release the game at the 10 year mark (2020) one has to ask if they will really even be able to call themselves a game studio anymore. I mean, what kind of game studio can't manage to release a single game inside the span of a decade?
well Blizzard was made fun of for taking so long with Starcraft. to give some perspective warcraft 1 was made within a few months, warcraft 2 about a year, and starcraft took a whopping 3 years. today development time is 2-3 years typically, so if we triple that then we get 6-9 years. starcraft had triple the dev time as the typical RTS when it was released. so it can be used as an apt comparison. in the end starcraft shifted the time scales development time was measured in. well them and C&C which spent 2 years.

Honestly I don't get this mindset that just because studio x, x and x have done whatever = TaleWorlds should do the same.
Not really referring to a specific post, I just see plenty of posts like this here and on the steam forums.

How are these things related at all apart from being in the same industry?

It kinda automatically suggests that you are against different directions, so Warband shouldn't really exist because so and so only did this and that in the past.
I'm pretty sure that's not the intended vibe, so in that case it's just immature entitled moaning because you don't get to play the game.

I definitely agree that announcing the game that early was not the best thing to do, however I'm willing to guess that when we get our hands on the game these things won't really matter (unless they truly fck it up). So industry analysts, chill out for now and we will see :grin:

Yeah I know this is just normal pre-release talk anyways, so whatever.

On the other hand, this:

tUkZK4a.jpg

The fact that he can publicly say that they are "closing in on the finish line" stands out to me.
It could be the "coming soon" in a different format, but I've never seen this kind of response.

Well they should feel pressured, Duke Nukem Forever took 15 years and was pretty bad, and their motto was "release when it's ready". There are other similarities like estimating wrong release dates, starting from a small studio, from a sequal etc. I sincerely hope it does not end like Duke.

Rhaeyl said:
On the other hand, this:

tUkZK4a.jpg

The fact that he can publicly say that they are "closing in on the finish line" stands out to me.
It could be the "coming soon" in a different format, but I've never seen this kind of response.
Where's the screenshot from? Got a link?

HUMMAN said:
Well they should feel pressured, Duke Nukem Forever took 15 years and was pretty bad, and their motto was "release when it's ready". There are other similarities like estimating wrong release dates, starting from a small studio, from a sequal etc. I sincerely hope it does not end like Duke.

Do take note tha they actually changed developers 2 Times during tha time period too, atleast o wha i have read about it. So when a game jumps around to different developers its more bound to be a badly made game, taleworlds do still own The licenses fer their own games and they are doin everything they can to make a good game.

SirStart said:
HUMMAN said:

Do take note tha they actually changed developers 2 Times during tha time period too, atleast o wha i have read about it. So when a game jumps around to different developers its more bound to be a badly made game, taleworlds do still own The licenses fer their own games and they are doin everything they can to make a good game.
Duke Nukem Forever ran out of money, and instead of releasing what they had they sought investors. they lined up a producer to 'finish up what they had' in order to get something out there, but they ran out of money again and looked for another investor. they ran out of money a third time but couldn't find another investor so declared bankruptcy and still didn't release what they had. the second producer fought in court for the game's assets and right to release the game, which when they got they cheaply slapped together what was there and released it. DNF had repeatedly scrapped their entire work because what they had been working on was matched or beat by another game that came out and the CEO didn't want to put out a game that was in the same league as any other game.

i don't have any secret insider info, so maybe taleworlds is heading down this path, but i think a judgement of such is a bit premature. they haven't run out of money yet, so it isn't like we know if they have tossed reality out the window or are just trying to do a really good job. they do look very similar to the outside observer, at least in the early stages.

jamoecw said:
SirStart said:
HUMMAN said:

Duke Nukem Forever ran out of money, and instead of releasing what they had they sought investors. they lined up a producer to 'finish up what they had' in order to get something out there, but they ran out of money again and looked for another investor. they ran out of money a third time but couldn't find another investor so declared bankruptcy and still didn't release what they had. the second producer fought in court for the game's assets and right to release the game, which when they got they cheaply slapped together what was there and released it. DNF had repeatedly scrapped their entire work because what they had been working on was matched or beat by another game that came out and the CEO didn't want to put out a game that was in the same league as any other game.

i don't have any secret insider info, so maybe taleworlds is heading down this path, but i think a judgement of such is a bit premature. they haven't run out of money yet, so it isn't like we know if they have tossed reality out the window or are just trying to do a really good job. they do look very similar to the outside observer, at least in the early stages.

Neither do i sit on any insider info, but even with The little info we gotten from taleworlds it still seems as they are up and running at full speed, and I do actually dont think they Will go down The same path as Duke did if ye look at it logically, atleast not from my view, The thing they have done bad is PR by talking about The game too soon and giving "promises" they couldnt stand fer.
And by "promises" i mean fer The People who interprets a maybe in to a promises.

as far as i am concerned there is what is said and what is heard. what is said is on the person speaking, while whatever deviation from that to what is heard is on the person listening. taking a maybe into a definite, or even a probably is the listener's problem. so in my view the 'bad PR' is on the fans assuming things that weren't really said, not Taleworlds. it is perfectly fine to speculate, but in the end one has to keep their eye on reality.

Unlike for the duke nukem, we have a pretty clear insight what's going on, and how does it look like. Same formula and base as warband, more in depth with better graphic and animations. Like when they made warband from mount and blade except the difference is even larger. Huge plus is that this game does not require any sort of story, plain insights of stuff here and there, how this work, how that works, something like tutorial, is enough. Thing that worries me is the mutiplayer, but singleplayer will be enjoyable. Some people expect way too much out of it, they expect it to be better crusader kings 2 than crusader kings 2 is. In that manner, they will be disappointed, that i guarantee. Their thirst can not be satisfied. Those who do not, those who want a worthy successor of mount and blade warband, will get it. If they don't, the company will not get the second chance. It's a huge weight for this company, and this is the logical reason why they are not rushing it. The more time progresses, the more people overall expect from it. With good reason. But there is not much they can do, other than to release it in good state

Knez said:
Unlike for the duke nukem, we have a pretty clear insight what's going on, and how does it look like. Same formula and base as warband, more in depth with better graphic and animations. Like when they made warband from mount and blade except the difference is even larger. Huge plus is that this game does not require any sort of story, plain insights of stuff here and there, how this work, how that works, something like tutorial, is enough. Thing that worries me is the mutiplayer, but singleplayer will be enjoyable. Some people expect way too much out of it, they expect it to be better crusader kings 2 than crusader kings 2 is. In that manner, they will be disappointed, that i guarantee. Their thirst can not be satisfied. Those who do not, those who want a worthy successor of mount and blade warband, will get it. If they don't, the company will not get the second chance. It's a huge weight for this company, and this is the logical reason why they are not rushing it. The more time progresses, the more people overall expect from it. With good reason. But there is not much they can do, other than to release it in good state
We now know what went wrong with Duke Nukem Forever, though. The root cause was lack of a clear vision as well as redoing everything over and over again because technology kept advancing and other good FPS games came out in the meantime. The demos they made and presented to the press or at events always garnered a lot of praise but it was never enough. They wanted to make the best game ever but weren't able to lock down what exactly that meant.

I expect Bannerlord to be a mess when (or if  :iamamoron: ) it releases. Because all this time wasn't exactly spent on refining and polishing the game.

I'm honestly surprised at the commitment of the TW team, many other studios would just give in to the pressure and release a rushed game (while raking in that sweet hype money) but they stand strong. I'm partly appalled too, cause my monkey brain is always hungry for Bannerlord.

jamoecw said:
as far as i am concerned there is what is said and what is heard. what is said is on the person speaking, while whatever deviation from that to what is heard is on the person listening. taking a maybe into a definite, or even a probably is the listener's problem. so in my view the 'bad PR' is on the fans assuming things that weren't really said, not Taleworlds. it is perfectly fine to speculate, but in the end one has to keep their eye on reality.

Yeah we are on The same wave lenght there mate, The best thing TW could have done in this matter is debunking all The speculations and theories as they at some point Will be treated as a truth, tha's how gossip always goes from gossip to "truth" in The long run if ye dont treat em early.
I do check in from time to time on this forum and The steam forum and People missinterpret things more and more fer each time i check, and its this part i think TW have failed and ignored from The beginning.

I absolutely loathe how everyone simply ignores the fact that TW's principal purpose in extending the development timeline of BL is because they have a generous benefactor that is putting a lot of money into development and they are scared that once they finish the product, that source of funding will get cut off.

Why do you think they are taking the longest time to implement all of these "features" (many of which already existed in Warband and its mods).

There is a game on Steam called "Kingdoms" that has 1 guy developing it (and it is ambitious) and it is on a faster timeline.

It is ridiculous that so many people here (I know, mainly TW fanboys) are being ignoramuses.

Imanis said:
I absolutely loathe how everyone simply ignores the fact that TW's principal purpose in extending the development timeline of BL is because they have a generous benefactor that is putting a lot of money into development and they are scared that once they finish the product, that source of funding will get cut off.

Where's your evidence for this? Benefactors aren't stupid and no investor is going to fund a company indefinitely just to finish a single project. Bannerlord is probably getting at least some of its funding from the Turkish government, and if it's anything like other funded projects in other countries, the investor will want some evidence of progress. If taleworlds was deliberately taking longer than necessary on their game, they'd be found out.

Bannerlord is (most likely) taking a long time because:
1. This is the biggest game ever produced in turkey. Many of the developers on bannerlord are amateurs and it shows.
2. Warband took a long time, and this game is much more ambitious. Armagan has essentially just made one game so far.

Pump your brakes with the fanboy ignoramus shtick. You'd have a very difficult time finding anyone on this forum that thinks TaleWorlds can do no wrong. There are quite a few fairweather supporters that turn downright hostile when the latest devblog isn't about something they're interested in, for example.

Imanis said:

Yeah I hear Mrs Havisham is putting Amagan through a posh school so he can get an education. Or is it the Tony Stark september foundation giving out a grant to Peter Parker?

It is ridiculous that so many people here (I know, mainly TW fanboys) are being ignoramuses.

What's the correct term for someone making claims without evidence? Or are people still making intricate conspiracy threads about Turkish subsidies to game developers? Good look running a project solely on them.

Back
Top Bottom