Doesn't it take horses to upgrade a cavalry?

Users who are viewing this thread

When I flipped through the video, I found:

Trial video - 2018, the infantry will upgrade the cavalry and spend the horses in the goods column.
Trial video - 2019, infantry upgrade cavalry, not required.

Do you have any information on this? Is there any definite result?

In the trial video of 2019, the cost of upgrading to cavalry is also very low, and the salary of cavalry is also very low. If you don't change it, you can easily use all cavalry.

Can you link the videos? This interests me too. It was definitely said at some point armies will need fresh horses for cav. It did sound too fantastic to be true, I bet they ran into AI issues at some point and discarded the idea. ?

Trial video - 2018, the infantry will upgrade the cavalry and spend the horses in the goods column.

In the trial video of 2019, the cost of upgrading to cavalry is also very low, and the salary of cavalry is also very low. If you don't change it, you can easily use all cavalry.

Couple of things - it looks like the better cavalry units will be locked behind limited elite troop trees. Might be difficult to field more than a few of them.

Also perhaps you can upgrade to cavalry normally; but if your mounted troop count is higher then your horse resource count then the difference in troops have to slug on foot during battle.

It's not about the subject, so I'm sorry. The virus outbreak in your country (China) is very sad and terrifying. I wish you and the Chinese healing. I hope it ends before it becomes more dramatic.

I hope the system is implemented in a good way, so that the AI will still have plenty of horses. I might be in opposition to this system. Do not know yet, will wait and see how it functions.

Can you link the videos? This interests me too. It was definitely said at some point armies will need fresh horses for cav. It did sound too fantastic to be true, I bet they ran into AI issues at some point and discarded the idea. ?

Because I can't open YouTube.

I posted the wrong link, sorry.

Please see #13.

2018 -
When the mouse is on the soldier upgrade button. Show horses required for upgrade.

2019 -
In this video - 07:50, the player upgrades an infantry to a cavalry, but there are no fewer horses in the item bar

Couple of things - it looks like the better cavalry units will be locked behind limited elite troop trees. Might be difficult to field more than a few of them.

Also perhaps you can upgrade to cavalry normally; but if your mounted troop count is higher then your horse resource count then the difference in troops have to slug on foot during battle.

I understand the difference between 2018 and 2019 when troop upgrade paths

In fact, I'm very surprised that the new recruits of the empire can't be upgraded to melee cavalry.

I didn't quite understand. Do you mean that when there are horses in the goods column, your cavalry can ride on the battlefield? If there is no horse in the inventory, the cavalry can't fight on horseback?

I don't agree. This is more complicated than the 2018's setting, which requires horses for upgrading.

Oh dear, I hope they didn't dumb it back down to the Warband system. I liked the idea of having to mind my horse stock :neutral:

I also like this setting. I don't want it to change back.

It's not about the subject, so I'm sorry. The virus outbreak in your country (China) is very sad and terrifying. I wish you and the Chinese healing. I hope it ends before it becomes more dramatic.

Thank you very much!

Wasent it at gamecom 2019 they said horses were needed as a resourse to field cavalry.

Is it in some video? Is there a link?

Last edited:
It could just be that you can upgrade an infantry unit to a cavalry unit at any time, horses or not, but if you can't supply all of them with horses, some of them appear on foot in battles until you do have enough horses.

Cavalrymen can fight in foot if you tell then to dismount, and were forced to in sieges in Warband. They'd still be called (for example) Vlandian Knights and still have the same weapon and armour loadout, even if they didn't have a horse.

Last edited:
I don't see him upgrading anything, he was recruiting prisoners.
I think he posted a wrong link.
This video (18:40) shows that it requires a steppe horse to upgrade a Khuzait Nomad to a Khuzait Tribal Warrior.
Screenshot%20%2818%29.png

However, in Gamescom 2019 it doesn't.
(8:49)
Screenshot%20%2819%29.png

Last edited:
They could limit some unit types by resources like the CIV games. Heavily armored/full plated units should require you to have a blacksmith or a iron/steel workshop that provides a certain number of that resources depending on building upgrade.

The heavily armored/full plated units in turn are incredibly hard to kill, especially with arrows like IRL. In turn their numbers are limited by the iron/steel resource.

Likewise, Cavalry would require a stable to provide a horse resource amount equal to the building upgrade level. Otherwise you can choose to pay a large unit salary for the unit instead of having the resource to upgrade or maintain it.

Last edited:
I want to best friends with the horse lady and do horse lady quests and get her stable to be the best in the region and supply me with the best horses and i want other lords to make personal comments about it.

If i remember correctly it is still a feature moreover I think some villages will produce horses and there are even perks in the riding skill(can post videos please check Mikesavage channel on youtube) that increase the number of horses produced from villages i think this will translate into a system that clans who hold horses producing villages will have more cavalry than minor clans who don't hold such villages

Back
Top Bottom