Does anyone Deserve Death/What is the Value of Life

Users who are viewing this thread

Trooper5445

Master Knight
Sort of a strange question but we are all told by our parents at some point that nobody deserves "x." Do you agree? Or do some people really deserve a penalty of their life?

Trooper5445 said:
Sort of a strange question but we are all told by our parents at some point that nobody deserves "x." Do you agree? Or do some people really deserve a penalty of their life?

To ask your question, you should first consider whether anyone "deserves" anything in the first place, "good" things or "bad".

I consider life sort of like a contract of sorts. We're all entitled to our rights, but decide to be a douchebag and you lose your rights.

So yes.

I feel that life should be preserved in general. Killing should be viewed as a sad necessity at best. Certain attitudes to this really irk me - like people taking glee in the punishment of others. Also I think any sort of "eye for an eye" approach is total rubbish.

Of course there are circumstances in which killing is a good idea and ethical. I just think a thing as serious as killing should always be hated, so that it's not misused.

...except in videogames that is.

It's not a matter of 'deserving' life. It's a matter of who is to judge.
Millions of people have been killed by the insanity of a few.

The justice system works just fine without capital punishment,
in fact capital punishment is mostly found in severely corrupted countries...

everyone dies eventually. death is natural.
the real question is whether someone else should decide when and how one must die. death penalty is effectively a murder in cold blood. is murder good or bad?

13 Spider Bloody Chain said:
Trooper5445 said:

To ask your question, you should first consider whether anyone "deserves" anything in the first place, "good" things or "bad".

This.

'Good' or 'bad' is a fallacy. There are only humans struggling with themselves and each other.
The ones who wish to judge the value of other peoples lives are typically aggressive minded,
and act as catalysts to these struggles...

Any punishment (no matter if death or anything else) that is justified by revenge is absurd. As we all know that there is nothing like a free will, it makes absolutely no sense.
A punishment for something like determent or safety of other people on the other hand is reasonable.

Trooper5445 said:

My parents never told me "nobody deserves x". They told me "if you break the rules, you deserve everything you get", which is why I either don't break the rules, or am careful to not get caught breaking them.

I do believe that many sentences, especially for 'hard' crime such as murder, rape, andsoforth, are too lenient, and I believe that coddling people is only leading to a nation full of people who won't accept responsibility for their actions.

I also believe that if you 'spare the lash, you spoil the child' -- but that the lash need not be a physical punishment, rather, a parent explaining why doing something that is wrong, is wrong, and the consequences of doing the wrong thing again. Too many parents today are too busy having careers that they're content to let their kids learn values from TV and video games, rather than trying to instill their own values in their kids.

Do I believe in the death penalty? Sure. I can think of a fair few crimes that I feel should warrant the death penalty - premeditated murder and premeditated rape being two of them. Manslaugter I am willing to let slide, but I feel that the accused ought to make reparations to the family of their victims, rather than be slapped with a jail sentence and a fine.

For example, if one man murders another man intentionally, then he deserves to be treated the same way -- death penalty. But if one man accidentally kills another man, for example, through dangerous driving, negligence, whatever, then rather than shoving him in a jail, which does nothing but clog up prisons and teaches the man nothing, he should be made to take care of his victim's wife/kids/whatever, thus still being made to contribute to society and (hopefully) being punished through his own guilt (only really works if the guy has a conscience).

As for the value of life, I place a high value on it, which is why I don't eat meat or kill animals intentionally. I believe that everybody who recognises the value of life is entitled to it -- but as soon as that recognition of life and freedom is taken away (murder, rape, whatever) then that person no longer has a right to it.

I'd say, based on this article, life is worth about $400 to $76000.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/02/05/australia.killings.offbeat.reut/index.html

I must disagree stating that the service offered is not to buy a life but to take one. You are merely using a service as opposed to gaining a life.

It's about 20,000 pounds, then, roughly 40,000 USD to buy a human life, amazing what google can find.

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2007/jan/07010201.html

Human life is rather overvalued by people.

Anyway, I thought the worth of a person was based on their GDP by country or personal fortune.

That is of course if monetary value is what you mean, otherwise I would say someone who helps sick kids or something is worth more than say a child molester (WHAT IF THEY DO BOTH?!)

Back
Top Bottom