Diminishing returns on lord fiefs?

Users who are viewing this thread

KiriKaneko

Veteran
Does anyone know if there are diminishing returns on lord fiefs?

I'm playing Gekkokujo and there's a huge amount of territory but not very many good lords. Ikko Ikki has 3 but no way I'm using buddhist rebels so that's 3 down and leaves me with 16 good lords total, 17 including Tojiko who I made into a lord as well. Now I counted and while keeping 1 town for myself there are 31 towns, 75 castles, 164 villages. Split between 17 lords that's on average 1.8 towns, 4.4 castles and 9.6 villages per lord. That means the average lord will have 16 fiefs!

If tax inefficiency really is a thing then I could hand out only castles and towns, no villages. However the lords still need to pay upkeep for all those fief garrisons so without villages to fund them I don't know how negatively it could impact their armies.

I made an early push to become a ruler which was perhaps not a good idea. My companions are underlevelled and I'm running around with 200 spearmen with terrible morale because we suffer so many casualties per fight. I really need to get to the point where I have 5-6 good lords to lead around and do most of the fighting for me so I can downsize my own army and stop my companions getting pissed off. Now I have most of the Miyoshi lands my plan is to hand out some of this territory to Tojiko and recruit Lord Hatano as soon as he releases, then try to wipe out Mori who have 3 good lords, as well as any other dying clans who have good lords. That will in the short term give me a lot of good lords to distribute territory around but in the long-term I'll still be giving them rather a lot if I'm giving out villages as well

Alternatively I could give out only towns and castles and keep all the villages for myself but I need to know first whether or not lords really get tax inefficiency or if they always profit from new fiefs

First, I don't know anything about the mod you're talking about, so I'm not familiar with the functions behind.

But, taking the standard SP into consideration with the different statuses a village can have (directly influencing the tax income generated in this village), a village itself can only bring you a plus
in rents (or 0 if someone raided it shortly before the income report)
The situation differs for Castles and Towns as you have to pay for the garrison in the respective castle or town. And this pay usually exceeds the tax income generated in the castle or town.
As you've stated correctly, village taxes are important to compensate this.

Basically, this concerns the player itself. I never really had the concern that the lords are in money troubles in the Standard SP, tho it's of course possible that your mod is more detailed and realistic at this point :grin:

If this is the case, I'm pretty sure tax inefficiency could get a problem for your lords as well, tho it should be fine as long as you hold yourself to the average numbers you've calculated, since the number of villages owned outnumber the towns and castles by far.

Well the only reason I brought up the mod is because there's a low number of good lords compared to the high amount of territory. If I only go with good lords then each one will end up with a rather large amount of land. As such, it got me wondering if tax inefficiency is a thing for lords. If it isn't then I've nothing to worry about I can give them 10+ fiefs without worry. If it is then I may have to consider giving them only castles and towns, and taking the villages for myself.

While I will get tax inefficiency from 100+ villages, there is a cap on tax inefficiency so I will still profit immensely. I'd rather give the villages to the lords if the lords don't get tax inefficiency though because that will give me a much larger warband

Well, I guess the best way to find out is trying :smile:
I'd still suggest to keep a proper balance between the kind of fiefs you keep for yourself. If you own too many towns and castles you'll get some decent deficit in the money report, especially in times of war.

Here's a link to a relevant post about tax inefficiency.  It's a built-in part of the game to force the player to give up some of the fiefs.
https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,296816.msg7047383.html#msg7047383

Back
Top Bottom