Devs please stop being stubborn for no good reason and just buff passive training already

Users who are viewing this thread

Come on, there is literally no good reason why the best you can do is to train 1 unit at a time in an army of hundreds.

A real army would do drills at the company levelthat would increase the skill level of whole companies at a time. the Romans certainly did this.

When medieval lords trained their fyrds and levies they certainly didn't do it 1 soldier at a time.

There is no reason training should be limited to 1 soldier at a time and plenty of reason to eliminate that limit.

The two biggest issues with balance in the game are recruit spam and snowballing. Proper large scale passive training would solve one and mitigate the other. If lords could throw together a mid tier force in the courts of 2-3 weeks that was undertrained against a truly elite force but could hold its own, trained units would keep their significance without costing a disadvantaged side the ability to defend itself. And it would certainly help a disadvantaged side pick itself up and dust itself off if it wasn't running armoes of 80% recruits.

It's to the point where you're trying to force lords to just... HAVE trained units. And yet you stubbornly refuse to even look at the idea of allowing them to train them themselves. WHY? There is literally no good reason not to incorporate passive training regimens into this game. There is no reason not to incorporate a version of the "training" skill from Warband into the Leadership skill tree. There is no reason you can't arbitrarily assign "levels" to each tier of unit in order to limit the ability of underdeveloped players to train units up to tier 4.

This CAN be done. It can be done EASILY. There is no reason other than pure bullheaded masochism not to add it into the game.

Yep. I am also baffled by why this isn't in the game yet. The perks are even there, they just need to be fixed to actually do something.

And while we are at it, please let's fix the perks, we can worry about balance once the actual game is deployed. I am not expecting a balanced game at this point, heck I am not even expecting savegame compatibility (which really should be priority number zero at this point). I just want the things that are in game to actually work and do something. Turning the placeholders into what they are supposed to be should be the first thing that happens imo.

Actually, some training mechanic would help AI lords as well, so they have more trained troops instead of recruits.

I want it, but more because I think it'll help the AI. As a player it feels it's already ridiculously easy to train up your troop. Take a stack of recruit and sic them on a few looter party (fighting manually) and you get a whole bunch of T2-T3 in no time.

I want it, but more because I think it'll help the AI. As a player it feels it's already ridiculously easy to train up your troop. Take a stack of recruit and sic them on a few looter party (fighting manually) and you get a whole bunch of T2-T3 in no time.

Try to get 300 troops to fill garrison in new city this way. You will forget your name and gone insane because of boredom.

Honestly, just use mods for balancing. Let them add more contents and bugfixes. You literally asked for content over balancing in one thread and now you're making another thread to ask for balancing instead.
Use a mod and be done with it.

Try to get 300 troops to fill garrison in new city this way. You will forget your name and gone insane because of boredom.

Agreed. I don't care if it's doable, to me it's just not fun. It doesn't add anything to the game, it's just a chore.

Now I do think that there should be a progression. Early game you should not be able to get troops trained without fighting. But having to run after looters late game? Come on now, that's just ridiculous.

Come on, there is literally no good reason why the best you can do is to train 1 unit at a time in an army of hundreds.

A real army would do drills at the company levelthat would increase the skill level of whole companies at a time. the Romans certainly did this.

When medieval lords trained their fyrds and levies they certainly didn't do it 1 soldier at a time.

There is no reason training should be limited to 1 soldier at a time and plenty of reason to eliminate that limit.

The two biggest issues with balance in the game are recruit spam and snowballing. Proper large scale passive training would solve one and mitigate the other. If lords could throw together a mid tier force in the courts of 2-3 weeks that was undertrained against a truly elite force but could hold its own, trained units would keep their significance without costing a disadvantaged side the ability to defend itself. And it would certainly help a disadvantaged side pick itself up and dust itself off if it wasn't running armoes of 80% recruits.

It's to the point where you're trying to force lords to just... HAVE trained units. And yet you stubbornly refuse to even look at the idea of allowing them to train them themselves. WHY? There is literally no good reason not to incorporate passive training regimens into this game. There is no reason not to incorporate a version of the "training" skill from Warband into the Leadership skill tree. There is no reason you can't arbitrarily assign "levels" to each tier of unit in order to limit the ability of underdeveloped players to train units up to tier 4.

This CAN be done. It can be done EASILY. There is no reason other than pure bullheaded masochism not to add it into the game.

Allot of perks haven't been implemented yet. This massively takes away from the will to progress your character.
Devs seem to be focusing mostly on cosmetic and balancing patches witch is good and all but and the same time counter productive.
If you consider everything that is missing from the game, any balancing will most likely become useless with the introduction of new content and perks.
Speaking of perks most of them need a single line of code to implement, witch has me scratching my head on why they haven't done it yet.

Actually I did exactly that.

In my 1.2 game I filled my first town with like 300 T3-5 troops. By the time I also got a castle I already have like 500 in the first town so I just split it. Among those are like 60+ Legionair, 60+ paletine. In fact I made a point of not garrisoning recruit in my towns.

It's extremely fast. If you have 50 recruit with you, fighting ~50 looter will see at least 1/2 of them upgrade to tier 2 with a few to tier 3.
Extra fast if you're training archer since they would just snipe all the one running away.

And no I didn't get bored. Had quite a bit of fun in fact, and still remember my name.

In my 1.2 game I filled my first town with like 300 T3-5 troops. By the time I also got a castle I already have like 500 in the first town so I just split it. Among those are like 60+ Legionair, 60+ paletine. In fact I made a point of not garrisoning recruit in my towns.

It's extremely fast. If you have 50 recruit with you, fighting ~50 looter will see at least 1/2 of them upgrade to tier 2 with a few to tier 3.
Extra fast if you're training archer since they would just snipe all the one running away.

And no I didn't get bored. Had quite a bit of fun in fact, and still remember my name.

How long till you lost half of them to starvation?

Was gonna ask that too lol

I really hope they're working on a big skill/perk change and that's why they haven't bothered to do add or fix anything yet. It would make sense to not bither with perks if they're getting replaced soon anyways, but then as weeks go by and we get nothing......
I mean they nerfed some trade stuff but maybe that was just the economy teams doing ?

Never lost a single one. As I posted in the other thread (about food stock), it's really just about protecting the villages. Mine never got sacked, and even with 500+ garrision it still had a possitive food flow + a fully stock granary (160).

samthing with my castle, I put a 120+ troops into it and it still have positive foodflow.

Good for you, what you are having fun while hunting looters. Most of players do not enjoy it one bit.

Troop recruitment and training can be much needed gold sink instead of being a chore, but no, we are supposed to hunt looters.

That's nice, good for you, all of us can do that. All of us have, because it's the only way it gets done right now.

Besides, this completely dodges the real issue which is that for the sake of both balance and sanity there is a very good argument to make passive training up to 10-15 times as effective as it is right now.

It should be possible for a skilled Master at Arms to train up an entire force from T1 to T3 ("Trained" level in the Imperial skilltree) in the course of 1 season. Because 1 season is, to be perfectly blunt about it, a very generous amount of time to train an army IRL, and it's more time than AI lords will ever actually get to develop their armies anyway. And yet in this game, 1 season is only enough to train maybe 2 dozen men from T1 to T2. That's not even close to good enough.

it's a better solution than trying to force lords to just sort of already have a trained army, an it has the advantage of being both more balanced and more organic.

That's nice, good for you, all of us can do that. All of us have, because it's the only way it gets done right now.

Just to remind you - in my first reply in this thread I agree with the need of for a passive troop training. My reason maybe different but it's not like I don't want one. My following posts were simply to counter the "overdramatic posts" about losing your sanity and such. Give me 15-20 mins and I can get 50-60 recruit to tier 3 np fighting just a few looter parties. Give me another 15-20mins and I oprobably can get half of them to tier 5-6 taking the tier 3 fighting other lord army.

You guys are making it sounds like it's something to grind away hours and hours while it's just a matter of "minutes". Comparing to grinding your skills, getting troop upgrade right now is a minuscule task in comparison.

Also while I would agree there are a way to train up the troop passively, I actually hope it will NOT be like the training skill in Warband. That thing was pretty much a functional cheatcode. Some of you here also posted in the other thread about letting AI's parties cheat to keep up with player ... guess what, if this things eventually work like Warband did, then it's one of the prime example of how the player breaking the rule.

Not only are they not doing this, they completely squashed the ability to auto resolve looters as your high tier troops will flat out die. Good stuff, glad they're making these changes instead of ya know... whatever...

Back
Top Bottom