DCS World (Digital Combat Simulator)

Users who are viewing this thread

I appreciate all the advice, but trim (and autopilot for some strange reason) just simply was not working at all. The vehicle would aggressively nose up at anything above 300kph no matter what.
Turns out that force feedback was enabled by default, and it ended up being the root of the issue. Plane's behaving as expected once that was disabled.

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

*yawn*

Show me the F/A-18D with functional multiplayer two-seater support. Hell, show me the F/A-18C so I can dispense Freedom and Liberty for All in something new.

Though I'm strongly considering the Mirage...

Too modern. I can't get excited for anything that uses guided missiles and radar.
It's also Swedish, god dammit Ulf, I thought you people had evolved beyond this petty nationalistic dickwaving, why not a black fighter plane for ocne, huh? Or a woman?

BVR is what I suck at, though, so I feel challenged every time I attempt it. The Su-27 is my fallback for when it gets frustrating. I understand the concepts behind what I'm dealing with in BVR, like notching and ECM burn-through, but there's a lot more to think about because of all that so I'll sometimes forget something rather important along the way and **** it all up. Visual range is a much more straight-forward process of energy<->position exchanges.

My defensive flying in BVR is fine, but I can't attack worth a damn and honestly don't see the point in it if my target is aware of my presence. If whoever I'm shooting at is half as good at evading missiles as I am then I'm just throwing darts at the dirt. It's really a sort of precautionary measure and an idiot trap all in one. If I fire off a missile or two on my approach, all I'm really doing is ensuring that my target won't fly straight at me if he has half a brain. If he does fly straight at me, he's probably going to eat a missile. If he doesn't, we keep up this little game of dodgeball until somebody doesn't have enough energy to evade or we enter visual range. It's simpler in a Sukhoi because you don't have active radar missiles, so you're playing one-sided dodgeball. You don't get to throw anything in the first half of the game, so you can focus entirely on dodging.

Yeah, idk, never really been into anything modern largely because BVR just isn't as fun to me.

Russian IR stuff is pretty funny though, always tempted to blast the Soviet anthem every time I ambush someone.

BVR is multi-million-dollar aircraft explosive chess in the air. You make your opening moves, analyze what your opponent does, react accordingly, yaddayadda, all while you get closer and closer if necessary or turn & run if you're in an F-15.

Wellenbrecher said:
Too modern. I can't get excited for anything that uses guided missiles and radar.
I forgot to mention, you might like the MiG-21. It has radar, sure, but it's ****ty and only works for about 20-30 minutes (depending on how much of your coolant the ground crew drank before you went up), and the "guided missiles" kinda work and kinda don't, depending on where the sun is. It's the jankiest, ****tiest, most lovable flying half-broken scrap heap available. Sometimes (often) it'll just turn itself off mid-flight for giggles.

Wellenbrecher said:
Sabre/Mig-15 is the most modern I am interested in.

Yeah, that's like some very basic guided missiles (that don't work all that well) and mostly guns, guns, guns.

Also, hasn't been a good Korea War sim since Mig Alley really, so it's about time.

Actually there was Wings Over Europe and Strike Fighters series. While it was not Korean War, it's still a good series. It has dynamic campaigns, looks decent enough, is fun to play, and has multiple eras of jets. I've been playing Super Saber and Mirage 3 campaigns. I also have a CF-18 campaign for more modern shenanigans.

31CEADA9D3A1229FDC70BC414BCE403E6FCD0531
3C6754410E08887E51F3D02FD487AD39E196DAE2
95069F142A72961F3C311CBF9C6C0B414CBC8939
66C1BD6388CC2B332B5216EEC5B1688BFCE45A5C

I was heartbroken when my Jane's USAF disc shattered into pieces (don't ask), it was one of my favourite flight-sims growing up. There were few things better than SCUD bustin' in an F-15 at night...

Get the USAF in particular. It is interesting that USAF is about ten times more entertaining than IAF (that is by no means bad), despite it being from the same creator and there is only one year span between them.

Btw, IAF and USAF have one of the best intro movies in gaming  :grin:

The Spitfire Mk. IX is in early access now! So far really nice. Managed to land already on the second try  :cool:
Now the wait for the Hurricane begins... (and the earlier axis fighters)

Looks like the Storm of War dynamic campain is coming to DCS!
Since the release of the Normandy map and the WWII asset pack it is now finally possible to fly proper missions.
Looking forward to this. Let me know if anyone wants to give this a try in multiplayer. I'm only proficient in the Spit at  the moment
but I can also fly the 109, just need to review the start-up.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 182 days.
:mad:

Venerable F. Sheep said:
They need to hurry up and develop a Phantom II module. I want some damn two-seater coop action.
Kinda talking to a ghost here, but the F-14B is out now and has full-fledged coop. First aircraft to get it! Also in the coop pipeline is the Mi-24P. I really want someone to fly the Tomcat with, but at $80 it's hard to find any takers. I haven't bought it yet, and probably won't unless it goes on sale or one of my friends commits as well. If none of my friends show an interest by the time of the next sale, then I'll probably just pick up the Hornet instead.

Since I picked up a Logitech X-56 just before the new year and upgraded my PC, I've decided to get back into DCS. So far I've been re-familiarizing myself with the A-10C. I'll play through some of the campaign and probably spice it up with the F-15C or one of the Ruskie planes later.

Back
Top Bottom