• The forum has been updated. For an explanation of some of the changes, head over here.

In Progress Scene Editor Custom main maps have had severe issues for several updates now

Currently viewing this thread:

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
Unmodded
I believe there was a similar post made previously about this issue, but I cant seems to find it so I'll post it again, since update 1.5.4 (I believe) it has been effectively impossible to make custom main maps. When you try to paint on the main map (or any file named main map) it will crash, additionally applying material maps will have the same effect. When generating Navmesh grids the new navmesh will not match the terrain of your map, instead it will continue to match the terrain of Calradia, even if you have deleted the terrain and created new terrain from scratch. When playing your main map ingame, your player model (and all other models) will not travel on the land, instead they will be below or above the terrain. Finally, when you are placing entities on the main map, they will snap to a location below or above your terrain. I am not a coder, but several of the coders who I am working with on several total conversion mods have agreed that there seems to be a strange issue where the game has seemingly hardcoded terrain information associated with the main map, and that any attempt to rectify this incorrect terrain information crashes the game. I believe what I have posted here summarized the current issues with custom main maps, that unfortunately make it impossible to have a true total conversion mod. These issues have persisted since 1.5.4, and are still present on 1.5.7.

Lonewarrior

Sergeant
Yes this.

My map works on 1.5.4 so I think it was the updated from 1.5.4 to 1.5.5 that caused all this and continues through 1.5.6and 1.5.7

TO THE DEVS:
I made some progress identifying the problem but I believe there are some settings that we cannot access and only the devs can access because if there is other options this would make sense why its not working, so either they are hidden or dev only tools.

The only small change I could do was this:

Thanks to Drezavelt on the nexus forums for their work in figuring out this and pointing me in the right direction.

Open the scene with an xml editor while the main_map is also open in the mod tools.

Look for:

<terrain enabled="true" node_dimension_x="16" node_dimension_y="16" node_size="53.000" lod_multiplier="3.000" min_height="-0.609" max_height="23.139" vista_normalmap="" vista_diffuse_name="" vista_diffuse_blend_type="1" vista_diffuse_blend_amount="1.000" vista_layer_detail_distance="10000.000" vista_albedo_multiplier="0.670" vista_detail_albedo_name="" vista_detail_normal_name="" vista_detail_tile="1.000" vista_tileset="WorldMap" colormap_detail_level="0" ao_intensity="4.000">

The only bit that I changed was min_height="-0.609" max_height="23.139"
Having done this is somewhat works, its still off and its as if it is using the default map for some ground levels.

Heres where I stepped in and messed around with the settings, every map is different and takes a lot of tweaking to get you back to ground level but then it just messes up the rest of the map.

Heres the issue.
Min height moves the bottom of the map and the player level, Max height also moves the max height and the player level.

So setting both to near 0 means you can walk on land but then you cant use the navmesh, will get stuck and all the cities will float.
I believe this is the option that has been changed or a third setting is used to co -ordinate the location of the character, or something along those lines.

This usually causes the map to crash at random though, usually every 5 in game days or so. So its not really a fix at all it just creates more issues. But its a step toward figuring out the problem.

Last edited:

MArdA TaleWorlds

Community Support
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Forwarded to the QA team for further investigation. We will reach out again if we need more information. Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

Lonewarrior

Sergeant
Yeah in addition to the above issues.
Any maps you try and load onto the editor that were created before 1.5.7 now just don’t load for me.
When loading the map scene the mod tools just freeze with no errors and don’t respond for me now where before I could open the scenes at least.

MArdA TaleWorlds

Community Support
M&BWBWF&SNWVC
Yeah in addition to the above issues.
Any maps you try and load onto the editor that were created before 1.5.7 now just don’t load for me.
When loading the map scene the mod tools just freeze with no errors and don’t respond for me now where before I could open the scenes at least.
It would be great if you can open a separate topic about this.
---
Forwarded to the devs again. thanks!

Top Bottom