In Progress Scene Editor Custom main maps have had severe issues for several updates now

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
Unmodded
I believe there was a similar post made previously about this issue, but I cant seems to find it so I'll post it again, since update 1.5.4 (I believe) it has been effectively impossible to make custom main maps. When you try to paint on the main map (or any file named main map) it will crash, additionally applying material maps will have the same effect. When generating Navmesh grids the new navmesh will not match the terrain of your map, instead it will continue to match the terrain of Calradia, even if you have deleted the terrain and created new terrain from scratch. When playing your main map ingame, your player model (and all other models) will not travel on the land, instead they will be below or above the terrain. Finally, when you are placing entities on the main map, they will snap to a location below or above your terrain. I am not a coder, but several of the coders who I am working with on several total conversion mods have agreed that there seems to be a strange issue where the game has seemingly hardcoded terrain information associated with the main map, and that any attempt to rectify this incorrect terrain information crashes the game. I believe what I have posted here summarized the current issues with custom main maps, that unfortunately make it impossible to have a true total conversion mod. These issues have persisted since 1.5.4, and are still present on 1.5.7.

Yes this.

My map works on 1.5.4 so I think it was the updated from 1.5.4 to 1.5.5 that caused all this and continues through 1.5.6and 1.5.7

TO THE DEVS:
I made some progress identifying the problem but I believe there are some settings that we cannot access and only the devs can access because if there is other options this would make sense why its not working, so either they are hidden or dev only tools.

The only small change I could do was this:

Thanks to Drezavelt on the nexus forums for their work in figuring out this and pointing me in the right direction.

Open the scene with an xml editor while the main_map is also open in the mod tools.

Look for:

<terrain enabled="true" node_dimension_x="16" node_dimension_y="16" node_size="53.000" lod_multiplier="3.000" min_height="-0.609" max_height="23.139" vista_normalmap="" vista_diffuse_name="" vista_diffuse_blend_type="1" vista_diffuse_blend_amount="1.000" vista_layer_detail_distance="10000.000" vista_albedo_multiplier="0.670" vista_detail_albedo_name="" vista_detail_normal_name="" vista_detail_tile="1.000" vista_tileset="WorldMap" colormap_detail_level="0" ao_intensity="4.000">

The only bit that I changed was min_height="-0.609" max_height="23.139"
Having done this is somewhat works, its still off and its as if it is using the default map for some ground levels.

Heres where I stepped in and messed around with the settings, every map is different and takes a lot of tweaking to get you back to ground level but then it just messes up the rest of the map.

Heres the issue.
Min height moves the bottom of the map and the player level, Max height also moves the max height and the player level.

So setting both to near 0 means you can walk on land but then you cant use the navmesh, will get stuck and all the cities will float.
I believe this is the option that has been changed or a third setting is used to co -ordinate the location of the character, or something along those lines.

This usually causes the map to crash at random though, usually every 5 in game days or so. So its not really a fix at all it just creates more issues. But its a step toward figuring out the problem.

Last edited:
Yeah in addition to the above issues.
Any maps you try and load onto the editor that were created before 1.5.7 now just don’t load for me.
When loading the map scene the mod tools just freeze with no errors and don’t respond for me now where before I could open the scenes at least.

Yeah in addition to the above issues.
Any maps you try and load onto the editor that were created before 1.5.7 now just don’t load for me.
When loading the map scene the mod tools just freeze with no errors and don’t respond for me now where before I could open the scenes at least.
It would be great if you can open a separate topic about this.
---
Forwarded to the devs again. thanks!

It would be great if you can open a separate topic about this.
---
Forwarded to the devs again. thanks!

Sorry for late reply but yeah this was just caused by some xml changes causing issues.

Map height is however is still bugged in latest versions of the game when making changes to the main map and is an issue for a lot of players and anyone trying to mod the main map in 1.5.8 as well and I’ve heard it’s still an issue in 1.5.9 Beta

there is still a map problem in 1.5.7 if you spawn in the campaign you are under the map and all the npc aswell mods that change the map are unplayable now

These mod tools issues are causing great mods to avoid custom maps making. This is affecting your overall player base, which a huge portion are waiting on total conversion mods that are actually totally converted. This should be a priority for you guys.

unfortunately the mod tools are not working properly causing issues for modders and it is effecting some great mods. I think this is an important issue for the community

I am sorry for your inconvenience. I have tested the terrain elevation and painting, it seems that they are fixed in our development branch. They are probably fixed at 1.5.9 too. I am not very sure about 1.5.8. Also, I have managed to create the navigation mesh issue, we will start working on it to fix it. Hopefully, it will be fixed within one of the next patches. Besides these issues, if you have any trouble editing & changing the world map, please be free to post those here. I will be glad to help you.

I am sorry for your inconvenience. I have tested the terrain elevation and painting, it seems that they are fixed in our development branch. They are probably fixed at 1.5.9 too. I am not very sure about 1.5.8. Also, I have managed to create the navigation mesh issue, we will start working on it to fix it. Hopefully, it will be fixed within one of the next patches. Besides these issues, if you have any trouble editing & changing the world map, please be free to post those here. I will be glad to help you.
just checked on 1.5.9, the terrain issue is still present

though as a question for main maps, is there any plan to change the way rivers are generated on the main map, I can see on the calradia that most of the river water isnt spawning properly, and trying to make river in Japan (which is about 3-4 times larger than calradia) is not working with us atm.

For clarification and easier tracking, I have listed the issues that we mentioned and their current status in this topic:
Issue: Crash when a terrain paint operation is done in world map

Issue: Black terrain issue on worldmap

Issue: Hardcoded values on the worldmap that can not be changed
Status: Our answer to the open letter has also listed this as an ongoing task. You can check it here.

Issue:Nav mesh generation issues (will start working on those in short time)

If you think we have missed an issue please let us know!

Issue: Hardcoded values on the worldmap that can not be changed
Status: Our answer to the open letter has also listed this as an ongoing task. You can check it here.
Btw a modder on the total conversion discord called Urist_McAurelian has found a temp fix by coding some dll files to fix the issues with the map height and spawning under the map.

Although the fix works it does require a bit of game and modding knowledge to get it to work and even when I give detailed instructions some people find it hard to get working, I think if you are able to contact this person they will be able to give more details you can find out what the original issue was and how to fix it.

This is a huge issue when editing the main map in the modding tools. When you disable the native vista tile set by setting it to none, you are left with a default base layer. You can paint multiple layer on this base layer just fine in the mod tools, but when you load the map in game, only the base layer shows, with none of the painted layers. Also, with the snow.flow map unable to be modified, any main map not shaped like calradia, can only have snow if it is painted on, causing some huge weirdness with custom maps right now

I created some video to show exactly what is the issue.
Short summary - we need to change the tileset from WorldMap to None and use our own vista. (which is painted outside of scene editor)
This first video shows that the painted terrain is working in the Scene Editor but when the map is loaded in the game it is not there.
Just a side note - the quality of the vista is also worse in game as in Scene Editor.

Another video with the original tileset - WorldMap. This is not customizable at all.

Back
Top Bottom