Creating your own unique troops for clans

Would you like to see such a feature in the game?

• Yes

Votes: 55 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.8%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I think creating your own troops could really increase the flavor of the game. And I don't mean only for the player, but for the AI as well. Random new clans could emerge and they would choose the equipment for their own troops, either at random, or with certain goals/patterns in mind. And based on culture, both the AI and the player would get recruits from the villages of the said culture and transform them into their own unique troops. This way we would have new clans emerge (tier 1, 2) which would grind their way up just like the player is doing, which would be really cool. And if you really don't like a clan (for example I don't like the ones that are very strong/have lots of cavalry), then if you manage to execute every member that would completely destroy that clan, and eventually it will be replace by another. More clans will emerge and the world will be shaped to a desirable/fun/immersive world for the player. The playthroughs between players will vary more and it allows you to shape your world a little bit more. It can be balanced in ways that stronger equipment would make the upgrade cost of troops and wages higher, and cavalry troops will cost even higher and they could also consume more food, a lot can be done anyhow. That way the clans that choose high armor/strong weapons will have less troops (and faster movement speed I suppose), while those who go for low quality will have more troops (and slower party speed), each with their respective weaknesses. And If a clan gets strong enough (maybe tier 3+) they can even besiege and take settlements from the main factions (clans that remain neutral), or even join the faction of their preference, just like the player can. I think it would bring a lot more life to the game, it can get really in-depth/complex and I would love to see such directions being taken. What do you guys think?

100% yes, already created a pool few months ago with the same OP.

This is by far one of the top 3 mechanics of POP mod and one of the main reasons why is my favourite.

It enchance rpg and game progression a lot, the hability to make differences between playthroughs is what make this type of games awesome and replayable.

I'd like this. Reminds me of the warhammer army creator.

IMO random clans should also eventually spawn over the course of the game (a playthrough is meant to last generations, right? if the birth/death mechanic is any indication?) - and they could have their own randomly rolled unit equipment/trees, too, you might get mercenary clans/companies spawning in, randomly rolled with heavy armor and warbows or whatever.

Well, according all pools I have seen and recurrent post.. clearly is a thing most of the players want. Lets see if Taleworld implement it.

Would be nice to have any answer from a dev or community manager about thougths on this feature.

Totally need this. Recently I started a jav cav character (hispanic style, kinda like Jinetes from M2TW) playthrough, and I have to use Battanian Mounted Skirmishers as a main troop type, who does not fit both aesthetically and gameplay-wise too, as they are not fast enough and lack a second pack of javelins. If we could have ability to create troop trees similar to minor clans like Scolderbrotva or Hidden Hand, that would increase the game's replay value significantly

This is just a short-sighted request. Creating your own troops, in this game, implies cultural overhaul of the people you are recruiting.

It’s also likely to be HIGHLY gamable/game breaking.

so no: I don’t think it’s a good idea, necessary, or really in the spirit of the game

This is just a short-sighted request. Creating your own troops, in this game, implies cultural overhaul of the people you are recruiting.

so no: I don’t think it’s a good idea, necessary, or really in the spirit of the game
Nonsense. What the hell are the minor clan troops then? First point makes no sense.

Its a singleplayer game, and considering the amount of gamebreaking **** at your disposal, I think custom troops is not an issue. I'd say its absolutely in the spirit of the game, and considering some of the beloved Warband mods that feature it, I'd say everyone would actually be thrilled.

I don't see TW doing this though, because we can't have cool things. Here's hoping a modder gets around making one.

Nonsense. What the hell are the minor clan troops then? First point makes no sense.

Its a singleplayer game, and considering the amount of gamebreaking **** at your disposal, I think custom troops is not an issue. I'd say its absolutely in the spirit of the game, and considering some of the beloved Warband mods that feature it, I'd say everyone would actually be thrilled.

I don't see TW doing this though, because we can't have cool things. Here's hoping a modder gets around making one.

Well, just need to see PoP mod to know that comment makes no sense. And PoP is not the only example.

There are multiple approachs to this feature, and all are valid and awesome.

I doubt TW will do it because they are having a hard enough time getting features they promised in the game. But there is zero reason this couldn't be done and it most certainly will be done by modders. It was in every big mod conversion out there that I know of. This is a single player feature so something like this is not game breaking if it was a mutiplayer only game I'd agree.

First they could make it so it's possible to get minor clans troops, like giving those clans a hideout on the map which refills with troops (and NPCs should they die in battle) in a limited way (to keep them as elite bonus troops). If the player has good enough relations, with the clan they could go their to hire those troops.

Then a similar feature could be introduced for the player : Build your own "hideout" (like in Viking Conquest i think) where you would be able to hire your own designed troops with a three tier system (like for other minor clans). I think having a whole player made culture (which is like 18 different troops) in vanilla would be too far fetched and also cumbersome (18 troops to design individually ...)

Building the hideout and creating/updating the personal troop tree should bear a significant cost (in the 100k range for each) and you would need to provide 1 unit of each armor/weapon you intend to use for your troops (so you can't give them warlord armor if you can't afford warlord armor yourself). Each tier would only be able to use a limited budget as suggested before.

You not caring about the implications and calling it “nonsense” are two different things. this was the approach you then took with your second statement (not caring about the implications)

This is what we call a “bad faith” argument. You might as well be kicking and screaming on the floor saying “but I WANT it”, because any angle different from yours can’t make sense in your mind.

You not caring about the implications and calling it “nonsense” are two different things. this was the approach you then took with your second statement (not caring about the implications)

This is what we call a “bad faith” argument. You might as well be kicking and screaming on the floor saying “but I WANT it”, because any angle different from yours can’t make sense in your mind.

No, your idea of a cultural overhaul being some great negative implication is your own version of the "bad faith" kicking and screaming argument. The spirit of the game? What cultural differences are there exactly, name them? Game breaking? How exactly?

The game currently is lacking a lot of the Sandbox part for a Sandbox game.
There is a lot of misconception on what constitutes a sandbox. And what you should expect.

In order to play in a predefined, cultured world, certain walls need to be in place. The game has to have an identity. And in order for that world to be fully Explored, the player needs a certain level of immersion within that world.

Now there is a expectation by many of the “but I WANT it” players to be able to control all the cultures, personalities, and preferences of everything around you. This is far less immersive, and in the end, devalues the experience of the constructed game world.

The argument that the game shouldn’t be balanced is also lacking. Options exist if similar equity in outcome exists. If there is not a similar overall affect equal to planning and effort, thus less viability in many choices, then there really isn’t a full range of choices and approaches. There’s a singular “right” choice and a myriad of terrible choices. This again de-values the experience.

The current system of “pay based on tier” puts a rather limiting amount of flexibility on the troop choices. The fact this game is built around gathering troops of different cultures found in different areas of the map should also not be disregarded. What you’re asking for actually limits play variety versus excels it as a player’s army will look the same no matter what section of the map they choose to explore instead being influenced by those pre-built cultures.

Custom troops should 100% be left to mods, as mods and modders have never cared to attempt balanced equity of action, and this game will be better served if the base game has a grounded “risk vs reward” system designed at its core

And what if the troops we can customize are limited by their respective stuff?
Say, a city that was conquered in Kuwait territory can only troops with gear that belongs to that culture.
That way we can have customization of troops, and they still keep their cultural aspect

But I can't see why it would be a bad thing to have that option. I can't see how it breaks the little immersion there is in the game at the moment.
The only difference in the cultures in the game are the troops. There is no religion, languages or other differences than that.
Almost every faction already feels the same. Just that we are stuck with how they look or offer.

Last edited:
There is a lot of misconception on what constitutes a sandbox. And what you should expect.

In order to play in a predefined, cultured world, certain walls need to be in place. The game has to have an identity. And in order for that world to be fully Explored, the player needs a certain level of immersion within that world.

Now there is a expectation by many of the “but I WANT it” players to be able to control all the cultures, personalities, and preferences of everything around you. This is far less immersive, and in the end, devalues the experience of the constructed game world.

The argument that the game shouldn’t be balanced is also lacking. Options exist if similar equity in outcome exists. If there is not a similar overall affect equal to planning and effort, thus less viability in many choices, then there really isn’t a full range of choices and approaches. There’s a singular “right” choice and a myriad of terrible choices. This again de-values the experience.

The current system of “pay based on tier” puts a rather limiting amount of flexibility on the troop choices. The fact this game is built around gathering troops of different cultures found in different areas of the map should also not be disregarded. What you’re asking for actually limits play variety versus excels it as a player’s army will look the same no matter what section of the map they choose to explore instead being influenced by those pre-built cultures.

Custom troops should 100% be left to mods, as mods and modders have never cared to attempt balanced equity of action, and this game will be better served if the base game has a grounded “risk vs reward” system designed at its core

You mention that the game is built upon gathering troops of different cultures, then you make the argument that custom troops (mixing cultures) violates some cultural standard in the game. Explain the logic here?

This is the biggest bunch of bs that I've ever read. Value is determined by each player, not by a predetermined set of choices. Any argument you may have had went right out the window when you say things like this because it's akin to it's my way or the highway.

Back
Top Bottom