Companions attribute balancing

Users who are viewing this thread

Greeting developers!
In my travels in Calradia, I've found companions with skills over 100 but low governing attribute for that specific skill.
I would like to see companions that have over 100 skills to have at least 3 or 4 in the attribute that governs that skills.
I know that companions are randomly generated, but let me give you one example.
I've found a companion with 140 in scouting and only 1 in cunning. That is not something you would want, now is it?
Here is a screenshot: https://app.box.com/s/tszjnsw75gf76gr769m6y7bc4zd88fx3
When I look at a companion and I see 140 scouting I would also think that he has 3 or 4 in cunning, because I want him as my scout.
Please, if you can try and improve the way companions are generated.
Thank you.
Have a nice day! :smile:

As I mentioned in other threads I don't think the attribute system really works for companions, and I have issues with the whole character system in general (largely due to learning limits and ranking up being generally slow...).

But an easy fix to this if you wanted to maintain the rest of the system would be to set a minimum value for their attributes relating to their amount of skill points. Shouldn't be more than a few lines of code. So for example an attribute has at least a minimum value of Skill / 30 (just pulling random numbers outta my arse here but you get my point). That way if you get a companion with 150 skill in One Handed, Polearm, Riding, he would have at least 5 points in vigor and endurance.

But again personally I think the solution is to just give them a hidden value of 10 on all the attributes and focus points so you can just grind them up by letting them play naturally with whatever you wanna grind them on without having to constantly wrestle with the system, especially since there's no trainer skill anymore.

Agreed. Companions would take 10+ years of play and 200k+ of gear to be as good as a tier 5/6 unit.

Many times they spawn with so few focus in relevant statistics that they are unable to level.

Governing appears to give no experience whatsoever.

Are we to assume that companions and governing are items that are only in the game in a 'first draft' for so balance comments on them are not het relevant?

I've found a solution to the scattered attributes of companions.
I use this mod to switch stupidly placed attributes to where they should actually be:
P.S: Don't forget to hold shift when importing, if you want to import a character with lower skills values then the one in game.

+1 to all the above but I'd also like for it not to simply be the Aserai companions that are effectively a tier above the rest and objectively better. Aserai scholar gets 120 or 140 medicine, the Hyenas and Princes get some obscene leadership and scouting skills whilst the Spicevendor and Leopardess' skills also leave any caravan owner with little choice, if they want the better skills at least. Having to spend 2.5 or 3k gold to hire a companion because they have a nice one handed sword is sweet an'all but then maybe give them some bloody one handed skills - or a two-hander, if that's where their all of their skills are at. Not complaining, it isn't game breaking, just hope it'll be addressed once we get to the polishing stages.

+1 to all the above but I'd also like for it not to simply be the Aserai companions that are effectively a tier above the rest and objectively better. Aserai scholar gets 120 or 140 medicine, the Hyenas and Princes get some obscene leadership and scouting skills whilst the Spicevendor and Leopardess' skills also leave any caravan owner with little choice, if they want the better skills at least. Having to spend 2.5 or 3k gold to hire a companion because they have a nice one handed sword is sweet an'all but then maybe give them some bloody one handed skills - or a two-hander, if that's where their all of their skills are at. Not complaining, it isn't game breaking, just hope it'll be addressed once we get to the polishing stages.
I would say it's game breaking when you see in the encyclopedia a follower with over 100 in a skill AND THEN when you add it to your party you see his governing attribute for said skill is 1 or 2. It wastes your money/loading time and it wastes your time searching for another companion to fill the role in your army.
Eg: uou look for a surgeon and you eighter find one with 60/80 medicine and 2 intelligence or you find a scholar/engenieer/trader with 3/4 or even 5 intelligence, but no medicine skill. Now which would you choose? I would choose the one with more attribute because you get 1 every 4 levels, while focus points you get every level.
But nothing can compare to the scout I've found 1 cunning and 140 scouting. :smile: )

Bold to assume that companions will ever level

I would say it's game breaking when you see in the encyclopedia a follower with over 100 in a skill AND THEN when you add it to your party you see his governing attribute for said skill is 1 or 2. It wastes your money/loading time and it wastes your time searching for another companion to fill the role in your army.
Eg: uou look for a surgeon and you eighter find one with 60/80 medicine and 2 intelligence or you find a scholar/engenieer/trader with 3/4 or even 5 intelligence, but no medicine skill. Now which would you choose? I would choose the one with more attribute because you get 1 every 4 levels, while focus points you get every level.
But nothing can compare to the scout I've found 1 cunning and 140 scouting. :smile: )

Back
Top Bottom