Clan Diarmid a Briton Clan for Viking Conquest [NA] [Recruiting!]

Users who are viewing this thread

“In traditional genealogies of the Clan Campbell, its origins are placed amongst the ancient Britons of Strathclyde. However the earliest Campbell in written records is Gillespie who is recorded in 1263. Early grants to Gillespie and his relations were almost all in east-central Scotland. However the family's connection with Argyll came some generations before when a Campbell married the heiress of the O'Duines and she brought with her the Lordship of Loch Awe. Because of this the early clan name was Clan O'Duine and this was later supplanted by the style Clan Diarmid. This name came from a fancied connection to Diarmid the Boar, a great hero from early Celtic mythology.”
-Taken from Wikipedia

256cmkg.png
The Campbells are Coming!
Minor, obscure, and pretty much irrelevant for the time, the proud men of Clan Diarmid were a hardy folk who did many things that we (I, the one righting it in the royal “we”) don't really know about. History's weird like that. While obscure now (during the Viking conquest), the Diarmids would go on to be one of the most influential clans of Scotland, the Campbells. Since we're all big on alternate history here, we're going to make an ahistorical super clan out of these guys. Cool, amirite?

11kl1dh.png

The clan already consists of longtime veterans of Mount and Blade, kings of mediocrity, lords of being passable at best. Our founding members have experience in the NW linebattle scene, and some low-level experience with the vanilla competitive scene. Our mission is to build a friendly, co-operative, clan that still knows how to turn out victories. We hope to land slightly in the middle between a hardcore and casual clan, playing to win and working as a team, but not crying over failure and willing to teach new players how to keep up. Granted said newbies actually try to learn.

Rank Structure – Just a rough draft, subject to change due to historical incorrectness, overcomplexity, getting actual translations, or any other BS reason we think of.

Chief – HBIC, the leader of the clan. Takes charge during events/skrims/matches/training/brunches, the voice of god.
Tanist – The heir to the Chief, and second in command chosen by the ruling members of the clan. Takes charge in absence of the Chief.
Noble – The elders of the clan, the influential peoples, blue bloods, the movers and shakers. If the Tanist is missing, battlefield command will be assumed by one of these.(If you want to be able to lead you will have to prove you can lead before getting this title.)
Clansman – The free peoples of the clan, those with their own property. The trusted members of the clan, this group is the majority of the clan.

To join here are the Steam names
[size=12pt]xxneontreesxx
Perrywinckle
Teamspeak Info
dalts.vortexservers.com:10004
This is an NA Clan if you want to join contact a name up there ^ or post in the thread this.
Name:
Reason why you want to join:
Are you ready to play the **** out of this game!?!:

The Diarmids are the first to host a 1v1/ event in the history of the game and it went amazing!
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,320299.0.html​

Forgot to mention, but we have our own TS and stuff. Its super cool. Full of super cool people. Love us, yo.

xxneontreesxx said:
Freedman – Freed slaves, laborers, and conscripts. Better than a slave, but not much. We trust you, we want to work with you, but you're still totally in the junior half of the clan.
Slave – Chattel, thralls, human equivalent of dirt. You have no rights, you have no say. You're probably in this rank if you're new, or we don't like you very much.
rekt

Sounds like funtimes for new members in this clan, too. You can get promoted from "get treated like **** all day erryday" to "get treated like **** in nicer words all day erryday," and if you stick it out through that then you become a generic clan member whose ever-so-valuable eStatus is questionable at best, and still isn't trusted with any responsibility in the clan.

Can't tell if clan thread is serious or a parody of other recent clan threads.

Orion said:
xxneontreesxx said:
Freedman – Freed slaves, laborers, and conscripts. Better than a slave, but not much. We trust you, we want to work with you, but you're still totally in the junior half of the clan.
Slave – Chattel, thralls, human equivalent of dirt. You have no rights, you have no say. You're probably in this rank if you're new, or we don't like you very much.
rekt

Sounds like funtimes for new members in this clan, too. You can get promoted from "get treated like **** all day erryday" to "get treated like **** in nicer words all day erryday," and if you stick it out through that then you become a generic clan member whose ever-so-valuable eStatus is questionable at best, and still isn't trusted with any responsibility in the clan.

Can't tell if clan thread is serious or a parody of other recent clan threads.

No, its just extreme sarcasm. So, I guess both. Wording can be changed.

Orion said:
The proof is in the pudding, I suppose. Good luck then.

Yeah, I can see where it kind of comes off as super condescending. I was asked to write a description of things and I sort of vented my total contempt for arbitrary ranking systems in this sort of online community. Soz internet, I <3 u 5ever.

Who says you need arbitrary ranks? Some of the best and longest-lived native clans have done fine without them. There's just a generally-agreed leader or figurehead, someone who calls the shots in matches (might be the same person as the leader, or it could be a few people who share responsibility) and then the rest are members. We're all here to play a game, why throw social structure into the mix?

Just my $0.02, it's your show and you're free to run it how you want. I just think it's odd you'd make a ranking system if you dislike them so.

Habit I guess? I've never been part of a clan that doesn't use them and it never occurred to me that just plain not having them was a thing you could do. Plus, I jump on any sort of chance to be cynical I can get my claws on because I am a bad, bad person.

No, I wrote the description and he posted it. My benefactor insisted on posting instead because reasons.

Hi lads, while it's cool to find people interested in my liege clan (my family is one of those supporting septs). I think you have got a little mixed up with the timings of the period. I would recommend changing your name to the Kingdom of Dal Riata circa 7th century.  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dál_Riata

This was the kingdom in the so called "dark age" which encompassed Argyll (Campbell lands)

What do you think?

Cheers
Torr

Lord Katsumoto said:
Hi lads, while it's cool to find people interested in my liege clan (my family is one of those supporting septs). I think you have got a little mixed up with the timings of the period. I would recommend changing your name to the Kingdom of Dal Riata circa 7th century.  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dál_Riata

This was the kingdom in the so called "dark age" which encompassed Argyll (Campbell lands)

What do you think?

Cheers
Torr
Thanks I'll have to talk to my historian when he gets on soon but we'll look at it!

Lord Katsumoto said:

What do you think?

Cheers
Torr

I'm main family Campbell myself (well, also Kerr), genealogy is fun. Historical accuracy is also fun (mostly). Its a stretch, a really really really big stretch used to justify the name and such, I know, but its just about as historically accurate as these things get (at least if we're taking a note from NW). In fact, one could argue that there really isn't that much of historical basis what so ever (read: they'd be pretty much right). I've always had a sort of knee-jerk reaction to using real historical names/people/groups for this sore of role-play thing, so I feel comfortable with this sort of stuff that could seem accurate at first glance if you don't really think about it. Plus, Dal Riata has already been eaten up by Alba/Pictland/Proto-Scotland at this point in time.

Thanks for the input though, it is something we'll have to think about in earnest.

Back
Top Bottom