City/Castle Garrisons, Enemy Parties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Taking a city or castle is too easy, with a bit of patience. Attack, kill, retreat, repeat. The garrison never replenishes, and nobody every sallies out of the castle on top of you, even when they outnumber you by 500.

I think castle/city garrisons should automatically replenish themselves at the start of each day (by perhaps 20-50 men, randomly) up to a maximum number. There should be a City/Castle NPC trainer garrisoned with a large amount of "Training" skill. New troops should start as a mixed bag of recruits, militia, footmen, and skirmishers (as a Swadian example) who train as higher tiers as the days go by and the trainer trains them up more.

There should be a separate garrison inside the city that works as a **short-range** attack force against enemies besieging a city, or who are very close to it. At each new day, the garrison is refilled to it's cap. When the game is under 30 days, the attack garrison starts between 20-40 troops, lowest troop being Militia, but mainly Footmen, with a few higher ups. When the game gets to day 30, the troop count goes up to 30-50. Day 90, 50-70. Day 150, 80-100 troops. The attack garrison always attacks a army laying siege no matter how many attackers there are, and when attacked while laying siege, the battle is always on foot and outside the city walls. 

Lords should have to take troops from their garrisons, or recruit from their fiefs. Not start with an army of top-tier. However, I believe every Lords should have a new troop called "Bodyguards", "Retinue", "Household Guards" or whatever who are always stuck on "Follow" command for the Lord. They would be the equivalent of a Knight, but always spawn with a Lord, and always follow him around the battlefield.

Also, I always see that Lords and Kings have so much money sitting on them, but it seems to mean nothing. I would like to see hired NPC armies that each faction spends their incomes on as extra armies. Mercs, Hired Blades, and such. Of course, each with a Hero leading them. They would be flagged as whatever faction hired them.

good idea, but first we need to make sure that sieges aren't as boring as they are now.

F50 said:
good idea, but first we need to make sure that sieges aren't as boring as they are now.

can't agree more

i would also like to see that a other lord askes for your help to besiege a castle (by sending a messenger or something like it)

Hell I still haven't got into a siege (or joined a faction) in native because I am still running the trial. But If the idea makes siege better I am all for it.

Well, maybe he is waiting for the final version.

Anyway, his suggestion is quite a good one.

I think it should not replenish during a siege. Out of siege would be fine.
Because siegeing a town is all about stopping enemy from replenishing.

I might also add the following:
Imagine a situation where I take over a castle and give it to someone else, there should always be a few men in the garrison
so that a wandering enemy party does not instantly take it over and I have to run back to take it over again.
Maybe put the rest of the liberated prisoners that do not fit into your party into the garrison instead of poofing to stop it from being taken right away?
Then, when the fief has been given to someone, it would start replenishing with troops automatically towards its maximum number allowed.

[off-topic] A bit off-topic, I know, but I think the only issue with sieges right now is the fact that AI troops do not know how to go up ladders or climb over a wall.
Also, I would like to remind that when you siege a castle with 300 men and you enter the siege for the first time, it is usually just you and your companions.
You probably cannot take out very many before getting knocked out.

town siege fix allows your men to get over a wall properly AND (I recently noticed) they enemy will sometimes give a "charge" order which causes them to come running out to meet you on the battlefield.

F50 said:
town siege fix allows your men to get over a wall properly AND (I recently noticed) they enemy will sometimes give a "charge" order which causes them to come running out to meet you on the battlefield.

I hope this will be included with the next version.

But F50, that was the off-topic portion of my post, please, do not take this as an offense, but what do you think of the topic of this thread, which is about Gregarian's idea?
I think it is worth looking at. It would make the game a lot more interesting and a bit more challenging.

Currently, I can kill the enemy garrison down to one man and leave, and 100 days later,
he will still be there on his own, all alone. No-one, I mean no-one,
has even sent him a letter or visited him to ask if he would like to have some reinforcements.

Also, garrisons being populated by the liberated prisoners you don't take into your party would be most welcome addition
This would stop "castle has been taken over" tug-o-war that can happen twice a week because AI does not populate them. :razz:
Also, having the said garrison start replenishing after a day or two would make it more logical.

I like this idea, SoanoS, but other things need to happen first. If the garrison is going to replenish automatically, I need to be able to leave men in front of the castle who will continue to lay seige to it while I go get more troops, food, morale, etc. If its numbers are going to go up when I leave, I need a way of not leaving.

Also, SoanoS, I already posted my opinion (in less words) earlier in the thread.

Ah, I see. Sorry for not noticing.  :neutral:

Well, let's hope these suggestions get in the game so we can all enjoy the best possible Mount & Blade possible. :smile:

it could be more realistic if the castle is garrisoned the same way lords gather their army. since lords increase their army each day they spend in a castle or town why not the garrison if the lord owns it. it is more realistic anyway and i don't think it will be that hard to implement it(although its just a guess since i really have no programming skills).

SoanoS said:
Well, maybe he is waiting for the final version.
Why? When he can pay 25 now instead of 40 then?

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,36728.0.html
A thread I had made on stationing rescued prisoners straight to castle instead of letting them all scatter to the four winds or w/e the **** nords do when not drunk

I don't agree with a replenishing force, but I do think there should be some sort of emergency militia that is raised once the castle or city becomes besieged.

Back
Top Bottom