Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Beta
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Dump identifier (optional)
Purchased from Taleworld's and installed by Steam
I can use the native.exe and the game will work perfectly well with exception of the latest issue with cntrl + x cheats.
Yet, Steam can not get past "initial set up..." if I try to launch with them.
Vortex can't do an initial set up because is says it can't "run tool" https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7o82pps9ghc3x8/Screenshot 2020-11-24 14.27.46.png?dl=0
The problem is if I cant get to a launcher I can't seem to use mods. I need to use mods for play-ability and would rather return the game than play vanilla.
Everything is installed on the F dive. WIndows 8.1 b/c 10 is a travesty. Azus ROG Nvidia 670 i7 3630 2.4 16 gb ram
If there is a way to still use mods without dealing with Steam or Vortex, that will also be satisfactory option.

Thank you for your time.

Can you send the screenshot of the screen you are stuck at when launching through Steam? And verify the game files on it, I've had problems where game launchers somehow got corrupted and the game could not launch

Can you try making a clean install following the instructions on this article and check if the launcher works?

Unfortunately, we cannot offer technical support for modded games and I cannot forward this to the developers without first making sure that mods aren't causing the problems. Please read our full statement regarding modding related issues.

I can't figure out how to work screen shots here. My apologies. It's just the start screen, press "Play" turns to "cancel" then "stop" and back to "play" from anywhere between 3-6 seconds. Sometimes I get the "initial start up..

Can you try making a clean install following the instructions on this article and check if the launcher works?

Unfortunately, we cannot offer technical support for modded games and I cannot forward this to the developers without first making sure that mods aren't causing the problems. Please read our full statement regarding modding related issues.
I believe it was doing this even before I tried putting mods in. And verified everything. Right now they just sit in a folder, but I will try a clean install anyway.

Running the game from Steam using Play runs TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe (Bannerlord>bin>Win64_Shipping_Client). Maybe that file is missing? It's necessary to run it if you want mods to work, but it would be odd if you were missing it. Running from Native lets you play without this launcher but, of course, also without mods.

A clean reinstall SHOULD fix this, but if it doesn't, make sure the Launcher.exe file exists

Clean install, got rid of everything including vortex and its files. Steam still gets stuck @ "performing first time set up" "Installing 1 of 1" does nothing and closes. Tried opening launcher from the windows folder, no dice. Allowances have been made for Windows and Bitdefender as before.
All files validated. Launcher file exists. Converted to e1.5.4 No change. Edit: Also, when starting with native there are notifications, "Cannot Load: TaleWorlds.PSAI.XmlSerializers.dll" twice before starting up.

Last edited:
I had attempted to go back to 1.5.5 and I can't make it. Stalled no matter how many times i press resume. Luckily it let me back to 1.5.4

Can you try to verify the game files through Steam after deleting all of the contents of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin" folder and try launching again?

You can also check if this folder has any .dll files that are not from our side. It should look like this, please remove any .dll files that is not listed below:
bqNjgVh.png

There is no "Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin " in the C: instead that path leads to CommonRedlist with four files directx,dotnet, openal, vcredist

In F: is there is F:steamlibrary/steamapps/common/mount&bladebannerlord/bin then two files, crashUploader.publish and Win64_shipping_clint. The later is where my exe files are.

In that folder there were 10 files you don't have listed including:
3- "galaxy" files,
1- "jose" ,
1- monoPosixHelper,
3- regarding "taleworlds" diamond.AcessProvider.GDK, DiamondChatSyetem.Library, PlatformService.GDK
a version file,
"XGaming Runtime.dll"

After removal, launcher still does not work.
While using exe, i forgot to mention if shows a box with a "failure to close, wana safe mode?" and then a "cannot Load: talewords/PSAI.XmlSerialixers.dll, twice before running the game.

It crashed without the Diamond library, ran when I put it back, but then crashed when I tried to load a game. I replaced the files two by two, until it worked. I put them all back. Jose and mono are def, tied to the game loading.

If I go to steam, the button says UPDATE, but does nothing. After replacing everything, it acted slightly different the first time around and then started doing the same exact thing. I believe the steam launcher creates the Galaxy files.

Last edited:
If there are third party dll files, please try making a clean install again, there seems to be leftover mod files. Also, your save file appear to be corrupted buy mods, so please create a new campaign after the clean install so we can see if the problem is originated from mods.

I had already done a clean install and did other. Uninstalled everything including steam. Deleted everything for related to steam or Bannerlord from any and all drive. Clean install of both on the same drive. Set firewall exceptions. Same result. Just takes a little longer for launcher to stop. Also, those additional dll's are there again as well with out me doing anything. I have not started the game though native, only attempted the launcher.

Last edited:
I didn't want to use the native.exe to start the game yet. So I have no saved files. Should I start the game with native.exe then see if the launcher will work?

Steam still gets stuck @ "performing first time set up" "Installing 1 of 1" does nothing and closes. Hitting the launcher from the main file does nothing at all. I have gone through exempting everything I can find. Tried to start with all protections off, yet is there a list of files that I need to set bitdefender exceptions for?

Last edited:
If you are using Bitdefender:
  1. Go to the Dashboard of BitDefender
  2. Protection tab on the left
  3. Click on Application Access under the Safe Files applet
  4. Flag the check mark for Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Back
Top Bottom