[BUGS] Freelancer 1.2-1.4 Bugs. (LOCKED)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SKY6A said:
This is a definite bug in the modemerger files for 1.45: if used in their present form, the player does not have the ability to keep items picked up in battle, because "freelancer_mission_templates.py" does not add the trigger to call "script_freelancer_keep_field_loot" to freelancer_triggers. It was an easy fix in my personal copy, but I point it out here in case you'd like to correct it for others.

Also, I am still perplexed about the loot screen behavior I mentioned in my previous post. Is the loot screen supposed to appear after a victorious battle or not?
The modmerger source was created by myself (with some assist from others in the Floris team) and included the change disabling the script to keep field loot and re-enabling the loot screen (albeit with a re-calculation of the player's contribution to the battle that needs better balancing). (It also included a good number of bug fixes, but that is besides the point.) The reason the change was made was a series of detailed reports from the current Floris Beta of ways to exploit the loot keeping from here to kingdom come (drop one of your weapons, pick it up, you get another copy; kill a friendly, take their gear; etc, etc, etc). After a great deal of thought and attempts at alternative methods of keeping loot...all of which failed to correct these exploits, I made the decision to can the field loot keeping for the Floris implementation of Freelancer in favor of the native loot system--the native system gives a wider range of goods and is not so blatantly exploitable as the other code. True, this current implementation is not properly balanced yet, either, and the player is receiving too much loot, so that will need to be addressed.

I subsequently sent the aforementioned Floris version to both gothy and Idibil (for Bryten) and I believe I forgot to mention the field loot change in either of those PMs, and they may not have noticed...which explains why neither mentioned the feature change with their new releases.

SKY6A said:
(without PBOD)
I'd noted your earlier post, but restrained myself from asking then...but will not do so now: I'm curious as to why you've taken the time to remove that mod when all its features are optional or can be turned off in its mod options screen?

Caba`drin,

Thank you for the speedy reply!

Alas, I was not aware of the "field loot exploit." Thank you for clarifying. Of course, I did not mean to second-guess your decision. In fact, I did not realize that it was a decision at all. I just thought it was a simple oversight and so pointed it out in the spirit of constructive criticism. I regret that I may have given the wrong impression.

As for your question with regard to PBOD, I think it is really just a personal quirk, but I will try to explain. On the one hand (although I haven't followed it closely of late), I was under the impression that PBOD was still in beta status as you perfected some of the AI behavior. That being the case, I thought I would wait until you felt it was complete before I made a decision about including it in my personal compilation. In the meantime, I am more or less aware of the strengths and weaknesses of motomataru's mod (which is included in yours, I know), and he mentioned in another thread that it will probably be summer before he makes any changes to it, so for the time being I consider it essentially stable.

But, you ask, if all the features of PBOD are optional, why not just disable them through the interface? Why bother to remove the whole mod? Well, that really is just a personal quirk, I guess. On the one hand, I like to keep things clean and simple. And if I am not actually using a mod, then I prefer not to have it installed. But to be honest, I think I also just enjoy taking things apart and tinkering around with them, seeing how they work. So when I decided that I wanted a truly stand-alone, modmerger version of Freelancer, it became a sort of personal challenge for me to see if I could make it. A simple thing for some, no doubt, but I am not a technical person. Indeed, when I first opened up a module system file a few weeks ago, it looked to me like nothing but gibberish! But I've discovered that I actually have as much fun tinkering around with this game as I do playing it, and all that gibberish is actually beginning to make some sense to me.

So, perhaps that is more than you wanted to know, but I am anxious that you not take my comments here as any sort of criticism of PBOD. I am, after all, quite in awe of what you have already accomplished with it. I also want you to know how much I appreciate your dedication to this community. As you may have guessed, I have only gotten into this game lately, but as I have poked around these forums looking for answers to my questions, there has almost always been some helpful post from you in each thread, gently guiding newbies like me to the answers we seek. So, if no one else has said so lately, thank you for all your work and support!

Bah, I never meant to come off as defensive, which I clearly did. Cheers for your thorough response...and happy tinkering, for tinkering leads to tweaking, which leads to full out coding. And who knows where that might lead :wink:

Ha, you're right about that!

At this point, "de-coding" is still fairly challenging for me--that is, simply understanding what the code as written is doing--but I have in fact already done a little tweaking. I've managed to increase the amount of gold that looters take and bandits demand, for example, so that I actually have some incentive, besides interest, to deposit my denars safely in Garnier's bank. Oh, and I've managed to correct that pesky starter-quest bug! (You know, the one where the merchant asks you to gather five men, but then isn't satisfied when you actually return with exactly five men.) But of course, those things are simplicity itself compared to what you and others have accomplished.

Still, I appreciate the encouragement.

By the way, this is off topic here, but while I have your attention I hope you don't mind if I ask. In the Floris 2.5 Beta thread, it mentions your OSP "Trade Ledger" mod, but I have searched the OSP thread under "The Forge" and elsewhere and find no mention of it. Can you kindly direct me to the sources for that? It sounds like just the thing to replace my hand-scribbled notes about "Iron in Curaw" and "Spice in Tulga."

*Gothy starts a We love Caba'drin week!*

Also sorry for my nul responses recently, I'm on night shift :razz:

Latest version is running perfectly for me, no issues so far apart from 1.4 savegames not working properly, though that given it's very stable with no gaping issues. My players character still duplicates itself when I'm in a town/castle in a lord's army for entering the castle or playing in a tournament. Also was wondering if the statistic on how many enemies you killed would be added to the info after a battle as it was in previous versions?

KidKoala said:
My players character still duplicates itself when I'm in a town/castle in a lord's army for entering the castle or playing in a tournament
Got this fixed dev-side.

KidKoala said:
Also was wondering if the statistic on how many enemies you killed would be added to the info after a battle as it was in previous versions?
Can do...even have a better code way of doing it now (borrowed from CC).
EDIT - added to dev source.

This just happened to me, so I had to make an account to point it out:

My lord decided to defend a besieged town, and I ended up attacking it, with the attacking army.

I ended up winning, destroying 4 lord's armies in the process, had to rejoin my lord's army, and now it looks like the nation has lost thanks to my sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Great mod though.

Now that's totally new to me, Welcome to the forum! btw.

This gives me a idea for a mission or scenario, 'the enemy within' :wink: lol

-G :mrgreen:

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but...

In the latest version, for some reason after I've attended a Lord's feast for winning a Tourny or something, whenever I pop into a Lord's castle I spawn next to him with my helmet and all on. Now, this wouldn't be so strange if not for the fact that I've suddenly obtained a clone of myself. He stands where you would normally spawn, no helmet, ect, and acts like one of the staff members you can hire from the Diplomacy mod.

Not very huge. Just sort of weird.

EDIT: In fact, when I've been taken prisoner after a battle goes badly, the noble who took me prisoner keeps a clone of me in his prisoner section, despite my being freed. Trying to see what happens if I free him, but so far have not been given the opportunity.

Dithon1 said:
-zip clone bug-

We know this issue already :smile:

In tournaments, you may encounter a clone of yourself in your team or the other teams :smile: Better hope in theirs :razz: Cuz he won't fight, only die ^^

Never tried to free him :eek: Please state what will/would happen :grin:

List of overlooked things that need a freelancer-state check and other potential bugs from Bryten:
Caba`drin said:
F-Interestingly, I don't get anything (money or items) when the lord army loots a village or takes a castle or town. Just after battles in the field. IMO, I'd have thought it'd be the other way around. History is full of examples where commanders famously let their armies loot settlements that resisted, to encourage future ones to surrender right away. So to me, it all balances out in the end, even if it is a bit weird.
Not a feature in Freelancer yet, I'm afraid. Good point though.

F-Also, not sure if it's WAD, but if the lord's army is defeated and you're all taken prisoner, you're automatically detached from the lord and not only do you lose all the accumulated experience (ie, if you're going to be promoted in a few days, you have to start gaining experience all over again), but you also get to keep your assigned items. The lord never wants them back, and when you next meet up with him, it's like you released from his army and now want to rejoin, so if you do rejoin, you now get double kit (the set from before that you got to keep and the new set). Your enemies also never take anything from you if the army is defeated, so aside from potentially getting a wound, you lose nothing by getting captured.
Good points here, too. Not addressed yet.

F-Hey, I found that you can't bust a lord out of the prison at Gyleford near londenwic. I set a fire at westarfam(or however you spell it) and then went in and talked to the prison guard and did the breakout conversation option(give the keys to me now!) and he did his little spiel and nothing happened. The conversation ended, but none of the guards moved, its like they stayed in non-hostile mode but i pressed tab and i couldnt leave, i had to run out to the area boundary to get out. The guards didnt attack and i couldnt kill them so i had to run away.
I'm not certain that this is freelancer-based. There isn't anything in the freelancer code that should interact with this.

F-1) i have a quest to free a lord trapped in Cantwaraburh, the one that you usually complete by entering the castle, speaking to the prison guard, killing him, take the keys, free the lord and kill all remaining guards.
BUT this time there is something really weird, when i talk to the prison guard in order to being able to kill it, it gives me the normal dialog but then, instead of turning "enemy" he became "friend". That means that i have to kill him with ranged weapons (that allows friendly fire). Then, after i free the lord, HE is my enemy, and attack me, while all the guards are friendly... so there is no way to complete this quest (i mean, without paying the ransom or siege the town).
This sounds like the Native prison-break bug that is only ever fixed by exiting to desktop and reloading Warband.

F-3) I was in service with Frithewald from Mierce.  After several successful battles against East Seaxna, he and King Penda were defeated, despite the fierce soldier "Harold The Hard" (my favourite name when playing as a Angle/Saxon/Jute) who had knocked down the opposing Lord.  Harold escaped during the prisoner transport, miraculously no one had taken any of his gear! 

Then, I asked another Lord of Mierce for the whereabouts of Frithewald and he told me where my commander was imprisoned. This were nice roleplaying options arising, for I could enter unchallenged and undisguised into that castle - not possible for an ufficially hired and well-known mercenary captain like in the previous versions or any game without Freelancer.  No matter how tough, after all Harold is a common soldier and not personally known amongst the enemy...  yet!

And then, just great: King Penda and Frithewald are in the dungeon (payed 100 scillingas to talk and check situation).  But unfortunately, only Penda could be interacted with.  I could not talk to Frithewald, even though Penda suggested taking him with us.  Therefor, I could fight just the two us out of there but we had to leave Frithewald.  Next day I could only sneak in disguise and was not well enough armed (pilgrim's staff, sigh...) to defeat the guard.

Plus, when talking to Frithewald, he did not recognize me as a member of his army.  As if I was automatically dismissed after a defeat and then taken prisoner as an individual by the enemy, hence my escape.  But still, he should say something along the lines of: "Harold, is that really you? Listen, you are one of my bravest men, I know it well, so you WILL find a way to get me out of here!"  Or at least he should react to me suggesting the prison break in a way that shows I am in his army still.  So, if there is a bug, plz fix it so one can talk to two imprisoned lords and take them both into freedom!

The castle was Theodburh or so, in East Seaxna lands between Norwic and Gantebryghe.  Penda and Frithewald were in separate holding cells, and you could talk to Penda in the right cell but not to Frithewald in the left cell.  When alone, Frithewald was in the right cell and could be adressed
I'm really not sure about all this prison break stuff. It seems to be something that needs to be looked into. Freelancer doesn't try to do anything special with prison breaks at this point. It should treat you like it treats the player any other time.

F-I was serving as a freelancer the lord of Loidis, when we lose a battle. So I was free with all the equipment etc., but my lord was captured. I went to save him from the dungeon. In the dungeon I've him and a copy of me, fully equipped (shield, sword, spear etc.).
We got out of the dungeon and the stupid lord started to attack me.
I ran away and killed the enemy guards, but couldn't get out, so I had to knock out my lord as well.
Thus I was out, but the lord was left behind.
Same as above...though I'm unsure why the player wasn't captured. The player should have been captured--there really isn't any way around that.

F-I was serving as a freelancer another lord in a besieged town. The siege was still on, while nobody were sieging. This also happens in vanilla, so no problem. Suddenly we were travelling far from the town when Penda attacked the walls. So I was curiosly teleported there and I participated the defence.
I'm not really sure what this means...whether the player's lord moved or just the player.

F-I was following my lord in his army for several months, and eventually went into a battle (It was defending against a siege) where the option to follow him into the battle just gave the message that the enemy was forced to retreat. I had no option but to desert the army, and then when I tried to reenlist in his army I was back to the very first rank.
I would have to see a savegame of this to be able to figure out what might be happening here.

F- if you are a freelancer, and a lord ask you to marry him, the dialogs with ALL lords change as if you married them (so there is no way to ask for quest, for example).... maybe should i post this one to Freelancer Mod Forum?
Nothing in freelancer stops marriages at this point, so I'm sure it could be quite bugged. Need to address that in future versions. Would recommend players don't get married while enlisted.

Does there supposed to be a modify banner in the camp menu?
Cause it isnt working (Started with a banner).
I thought i saw it in menus.txt.

Nevermind(http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=172656.0)

Laweis said:

My lord decided to defend a besieged town, and I ended up attacking it, with the attacking army.

I ended up winning, destroying 4 lord's armies in the process, had to rejoin my lord's army, and now it looks like the nation has lost thanks to my sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Great mod though.

I have the same problem here, any fix?

Viliel said:
Laweis said:

Great mod though.

I have the same problem here, any fix?

Would like to add to this and say that there seem to be NPC troops from the lords defending the castle among the attackers as well. Saw a Khergit Lord's banner while I was forced to attack a castle my own lord was defending among the Swadians attacking. Afterwards, I checked the "characters" tab and that lord was still with the Khergits.

EDIT: To clarify, I was signed on to a Khergit lord at the time.

Laweis said:

Great mod though.

samething that happened to me...played for about 20 days ingame no siege battles but I was taken prisoner got free and went to a castle that was under siege by the khegits joined the lords army on the swadian side and when battle was started found myself on the other side. I could talk to the enemy lord as if he was my commander but if I clicked on the "commander report" button it still showed I was on the swadians team. I then left the battle and quit without saving, I joined another army I had seen in the area and went to the same battle, after the khegits had launched their attack and the same thing happened. very weird.

It is possible that I didn't get the proper join siege code in this release of Freelancer, so it always assumes you are the attacker rather than checking which faction you belong to. If everyone's getting this error, I'd assume this is what is happening.

If anyone has successfully joined a siege defense, that would be important to know--then the whole thing is bugged and needs to be re-done, rather than just having a mistake in the code that was released here.

This may or may not be a bug.

I joined the army of Lord Klargus, and during my period of leave I started investing in productive enterprises at the towns for regular income, did a few quests, returned to Lord Klargus and resumed service in his army.

My payday comes along, and I get my usual wages from serving in the army. However, there is no weekly budget report, which means no money from the businesses I have invested in.

Kasimir said:
This may or may not be a bug.

I joined the army of Lord Klargus, and during my period of leave I started investing in productive enterprises at the towns for regular income, did a few quests, returned to Lord Klargus and resumed service in his army.

My payday comes along, and I get my usual wages from serving in the army. However, there is no weekly budget report, which means no money from the businesses I have invested in.

Did you wait several weeks and test this, because it takes a week for business' to be set up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom