Brazilian unions

Users who are viewing this thread

AWdeV

Duke
Perhaps a peculiar question but I'm doing a school project regarding Brazil and I was wondering whether our fine forumites from that area could shine their light on brazilian unions. Unions in general as well as how these unions relate to the government and to companies (the oil sector is what I'm looking into) and also how they are thought of by the public.

I'm interested in hearing opinions but I was also really wondering what would be a good source to look into?

Thanks in advance.

I have my own anedoctal experience with them, maybe Hector can talk more about the actual workings (or how it should function).

Mom works as secretary in one of the syndicates (Sindprev - Previdência Social, they deal mostly with retired people's rights and things like that). The actual work that a union should do there is pretty easy. It's difficult to actually help change anything like pursuing raises and changing outdated laws so they take their time. What it mostly works as, for the higher-ups (there are more directors than employees) is as a political platform so they can enter the government as something and earn more. Money laundering and not-so-legal use of government money included. Mom is in the financial sector so she's usually told to gloss over things like that. Most of what she does there is working on communication while an accountant does the rest.

With all the anedoctal stuff out of the way, their money is partly government funds, partly contributed by retired people (of their own will/maybe not). In my last job the call center union got 20R$ every three months from every worker. Companies of course dislike them because every once in a while there's a push for raises and strike plans. In one and a half year working at the same place we had 2 strikes, both to prevent lowering of wages. Public-wise they're well known to be both corrupt and helpful, so really mixed opinions. Cases of armed representatives during their demonstrations/protests are common. Also on another note, I can safely say ~80% of the low-tier politicians are from unions.

Again I think someone else who actually knows the laws regarding unions should show up. I just see stuff :razz:

Thanks for your input, that sounds like fairly standard stuff.

Anyway, with regards to this thread; I should've made it something like a week earlier instead of just yesterday late at night if I wanted input today. I'll just get to googling some more things myself but if anyone wants to chime in with something else, I'm all ears.

Let's revive this thread again.

10413361_10154833528185483_1271906785895958288_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom