Best program for recording battles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Julio-Claudian

Sergeant Knight
Can anyone suggest any? I want to report some bugs in siege battles, namely the way soldiers and whole groups get stuck on staircases (which I don't understand how nobody else seems to be talking about).

I use OBS on Steam, which is free and very convenient, though for some reason the video recording it outputs is extremely choppy and turns 30FPS into 15FPS at times. Also you have to go into settings and change the default file type it outputs into .MP4 in order to be able to upload it to Youtube.

If you're looking to record something that isn't at high speed like troops getting stuck on stairs, it should be fit for purpose.

I use OBS on Steam, which is free and very convenient, though for some reason the video recording it outputs is extremely choppy and turns 30FPS into 15FPS at times. Also you have to go into settings and change the default file type it outputs into .MP4 in order to be able to upload it to Youtube.

If you're looking to record something that isn't at high speed like troops getting stuck on stairs, it should be fit for purpose.
it could be choppy because your system is not able to handle both the game and encoding at the same time.

btw: is there a difference between steam obs and non steam?

Thanks, I'll give that a go when I have time.
Why does nobody else seem to talk about this problem of troops getting stuck on staircases though? Is it better on 1.8(I didn't play that much)? Or is it just not a problem for anyone else?

imo that's more of an issue with the way the scenes are designed than anything else. They gave the bots physics so they don't phase through each other, which makes sense. But since the ai charges straight towards whoever they're locked on, only taking the shortest path (this is how it worked in warband as well btw), siege maps need to be designed in such a way that allows for greater movement. It's why in Warband mods, like Full Invasion, which can also have comparable number of ai on the field as Bannerlord currently does, scene designers make sure to limit narrow entrances to only locations that they want players to hold. In Bannerlord this needs to more the case. Entrances should be 2-3 people wide, stairs as well.

As for getting stuck on stairs, there's another issue with the scenes that can compound the issue I explained above. Quite often, the native props have sections of stairs that don't align properly (I'm thinking some of the platform prefabs specifically) and this causes bots to get stuck. Another issue that can occur with stairs (though I'm not aware of any Native scene experiencing this specific issue) is if they're too steep, the ai can't climb them.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just adjusting the props provided, because some props, like towers, come with the stairs pre-attached. So to widen the entrances and stairs, you'd need to scale the entire tower, which could look out of place. It's still doable, but it means rearranging the surrounding walls at the same time.

Alternatively Taleworlds would need to rework the ai so that your army of 600 dudes don't all charge at a single doorway/stairway when the enemy has like 3 dudes left in their tower still fighting. This is obviously the ideal solution that should be aimed for - better battle AI, but a rework of the ai unfortunately takes a lot more time than adjusting the scenes of each siege map.

the native props have sections of stairs that don't align properly (I'm thinking some of the platform prefabs specifically) and this causes bots to get stuck
This is exactly what I'm talking about. It's something which needs to be fixed, I've often seen a whole section of a wall left undefended because the group running up to defend it is stuck on a staircase inside a tower. Causes stuttering blobs, makes it possible to just stand atop a stairway and kill a huge portion of a garrison single handed as they are unable to move.

And yes, if the AI could be made to use all pathways available rather than sending everyone in the same direction or through the same door it would definitely improve things. Especially when there is an attacking group moving in one direction towards the gatehouse whilst there are still enemies in the other direction shooting at them or attacking them from behind/retaking the wall.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as just adjusting the props provided, because some props, like towers, come with the stairs pre-attached. So to widen the entrances and stairs, you'd need to scale the entire tower, which could look out of place. It's still doable, but it means rearranging the surrounding walls at the same time.
I suppose there's no point in me bothering to record and report it then.

OBS is a decent choice.
Depending on your GPU, you might also be able to just use the manufacturers recording software - ShadowPlay for NVIDIA or ReLive (?) for AMD. Should come with your drivers, but you might need to hop on google to see how to access/use it if you haven't before.

OBS is a decent choice.
Depending on your GPU, you might also be able to just use the manufacturers recording software - ShadowPlay for NVIDIA or ReLive (?) for AMD. Should come with your drivers, but you might need to hop on google to see how to access/use it if you haven't before.
Thanks. I do believe I have the nvidia recording software on my pc actually.

But having read the above info, I think it's pointless me reporting it. I don't expect any dev to pay attention to me unless a lot of other people complain about this issue too.

Back
Top Bottom