Battle Stutter FIXED, but now ctd on saves-->edit:found temp fix

Users who are viewing this thread

There's no doubt in my mind that its a memory leak. It's probably been said here by other people too. It's fine for the first while but as time passes it starts to stutter when I charge into battle.

I had less issues when I disabled sound variations, so maybe it has something to do with the soundsystem... but maybe I'm just imagining that it got less :razz:

Glad I found this post.

I am having the exact same problem described here, can play just fine for awhile, but eventually it will start having the two frame stutter that eventually ends in a complete lock up of the game. I should note that my computer never locks up during any of this, just the game.

If I play long enough with no fighting and just talking to people and/or zoning into cities, villages, etc, my party screen showing all of my units will begin lagging when I click on different units, as well as start showing the same picture for each unit instead of there individual pictures.

It seems I can run around forever on the overland map though.

Edit: I am running a 32-bit Windows XP with Intel dual 2.4ghz cpu, 3gigs of ram, and ATI 512mb 4850.

I spent way too much time digging through this forum looking for a solution to this problem. Registered so i could bump this thread since it seems to be the most informative on the issue. I bought warband awhile ago and am finally getting around to playing it. Its an awesome game, but this stuttering is ruining it for me.

As others have already stated no combination of graphical settings or launch options seems to eliminate the problem, at least in dx9. I will try dx7 next time I get a chance to play and report on my results here. I've seen the problem reported in this forum on systems a lot beefier than mine, so I doubt that's the issue but here are my basic specs:

Warband version 1.134
XP professional sp3
AMD 5200+
8800gts
2 gb ram

Update: Since registering and having the opportunity to dig around the bug tracker I found somthing that seems to have improved my situation grately. I guess time will tell if this is an anomoly or not but limiting my framerate to 30 seems to cause the battle stutter to happen a lot less often.  (Just tested on some custom battles, and I still got some stutter but only when the number of combatants was over 100...and that's probably my machine's limitations not the bug we're talking about.)

Does anyone have a solution to this game breaking problem??

I also have a high end PC:

Windows 7 Ultimate
Intel i7 3GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 x2
6GB RAM

Warband version 1.134
Floris Expanded Mod

With this rig I should be able to play with all graphics maxed and battle size as big as I like and not notice the slightest frame rate drop!  But I'm encountering the same stutter lag people have mentioned here.  Namely during 80+ troop battles, when both opposing armies clash and your in the thick of it the stutter lag becomes unplayable.  By changing from DX9 to DX7, this eliminates the lag, but is hardly a fix.

So has anyone found a proper fix for this?  Is TaleWorlds working on or even acknowledging the problem??

Great game, but this takes the shine off it.

Looks like you've done a fair amount of testing there xenoargh and are on the right track at least.  I hope you get the answers you're looking for as this is a frustrating issue that would improve the game immensely for the likes of myself and by the looks of the forum a lot of other people too.

"1) The primary cause of battle stutter is this: This option is checked in the Warband .exe file-> App can handle >2GB addressest. If you UNCHECK this using CFF Explorer, the stutter will stop completely."

This fixed the stuttering here too.

Just thought I should chime in, since I seem to have fixed the problem here. It got unbearable for me in PoP eventually, with every big engagement ending in unplayable stutter without any changes seeming to have any effect. I tried to remove the >2GB switch too, but didn't do much here.

Anyway, the solution for me was simple.  In the rgl_config.txt file( in M&B WB folder in My Documents), I changed the render_buffer_size from 15(or was it 16?) up to 512. Seems to have done wonders since I've not gotten a single stutter since, even with battle slider maxed and hours of non-stop playing.

saltjunkie said:
andysmart said:
without wanting to sound like too much of an idiot..
whats a boot switch?
where do i find it?
and what to i change it too?

cheers
:razz:

Go here for instructions: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,113029.msg2728668.html#msg2728668
Go down to Nakusin's first post. He uses explorer suite, and i use Cff Explorer; both work well. You want to turn the option,  "Application can handle >2gb address space," off. By turning it off, my stutter prob. in battle stopped. Let me know how it turns out.

I tried that, but it gave me runtime errors whenever a battle started or a tournament

I have the same problem of battle starting stuttering if I play more than 2 hrs. The frame rate drops to 1FPS or less for more than 3-5 sec and sometimes, the game screen went black with waiting icon then stuttering and stuttering. Quit the game and restart to play the battle (saved before making enemy contact) will fix the problem 100% of the time until another 2 playing hours passed.

I have Warband patched version 1.143 installed in Vista x64 with 8GB, Nvidia GTX560 Ti 1GB, Phenom II X6 1090T so I thought this game's performance should be a walk in a park for my machine. Obviously it's not true. I play native mode with Floris Expanded Mod Ver 2.4 (haven't try 2.5 yet because it claims incompatible with old saved games). Using CFF explorer to look at WB, I noticed that Version 1.143 already had LAA checked, so there is no need to check that. Trying many conventional ways like reducing number of rag dolls, dead body, no blood etc, won't fix that. After reading many comprehensive posts about this problem from so many dedicated persons working many long hours basically for free for Tale Worlds, I come to think this is a huge bug masked inside their engine which they can't fix because fixing it may required to rewrite a new architecture. So band aid is the way to go and as long as the users are in the dark, no one can claim anything. Or play less than 2 hours and go watch stupid TVs show then.

PS: I also made a change in render_buffer_size too. No working.

If you are only getting the stutter after 2 hours play, there are a few solutions:
1) The obvious--reload Warband when you experience the stutter, allowing memory to clear and have 2 more hours of good play
2) Run Warband through the Warband Script Enhancer launcher and turn on its memory optimizer function in wse_settings.ini--see here, near the bottom of the post--(will clear Warband's memory use after time, automatically, hopefully lengthening play time)...also fixes a few bugs/CTDs (like the one in taverns in 1.143) and allows more modder operations so it required for a few mods
3) or Use the "Warband Tamer" tool to on-demand clear Warband's memory use (thread post, download link)

Also, just a few notes on the remainder of your post---given that you're playing with one of the largest, most memory intensive mods out for Warband, this isn't much of a surprise. (Floris has both an FAQ thread and a Support thread dedicated to stuff like this) And, given the age of Warband/relative sophistication of its engine, the fact that it doesn't run exponentially better on the newest machines is both not surprising and documented throughout this thread. Finally, Floris 2.5 is slimmer/noticeably more efficient than 2.4, has more features and is overall better bug-tested, but yes, your savegame won't work with it.

This is a beautiful game so I won't complain much, candy-eye graphic isn't one of the my top priority. Good fun time is it and WB gives me plenty. Just a little annoying during an intense battle. But I manage to see why the game stuttering after few hours played.

I just tried to turn off texture loaded on demand then during loading game, it gives me error message like can't load texture etc. This could mean the game engine uses video memory for a lot of things and and turning off load texture on demand will dump texture into video memory. I suspect Floris mod probably overloaded the portion of video memory allowed for texture. So I deduce that after hours playing, it has problem of swapping structures in & out because there are less video memory left due to ie. resources' reclaim bug, more dynamic data loaded for extended playtime etc. Which means if I can get rid of things to lessen video memory load, thing may work better. So I turned off pixel shader, and I have played 3 plus hours without any problem (yet). Hopefully it will fix my problem so I can beat those kings to puffs w/o taking 2 hours truce.  :grin:

And yes, Caba`drin, I also use Warband Script Enhancer but that won't help neither. I don't have CTDs issues like other, perhaps patch 1.143 has fixed a bunch of it already. I suspect this is a combination of video driver, the way the game was designed to use with video memory so it's very confusing matter of what work to someone but won't for another. Big headache. BTW, my video driver is Nvidia 285.62 and I heard people complain that driver caused some lagging issue with M&B.

Updated: The problem comes back after playing more than 4 plus hours. I just have to take 4hrs truce then.

SkyChef said:
Updated: The problem comes back after playing more than 4 plus hours. I just have to take 4hrs truce then.

Agreed. No matter how many different permutations of tweaks, I can't escape this reality. After a sufficiently long time of playing, about 3-4 hrs, the next battles become real choppy. Only restarting the game fixes it.

However, it's not the GPU or CPU termperatures for me (80-84 degrees Celsius). It's something else. I think CPU limitation to handle all those AI scripts and pathfinding, I guess. M&B's pathfinding is shoddy to begin with, then add in more actors than it can handle, voila "Oh hai there single digi fps zone" This is the best theory I've come up with. Anybody got any better ideas? Memory leak? My applications are already LAA, so that's no fix

What seemed to help the most was setting "Maximum Frame Rate" down to 60 or 30 from the previous 120. Also having a battle size of less than 100 helps. 150 I can still do but run the risk of single digit fps zone, the lower the battle size, the less chance of the CLASH of DOOM.

After reading through this entire post ... I began to wonder whether all this "Battle lag/stutter" may be referring to an issue I had ages ago (2+ years ago) that I managed to fix simply by restarting the game.

My reasoning back then (if I recall correctly) was that I figured out that if I saved/loaded a game many times in one sitting,
(10+ times save,load,save,load,save,load - such as continuously failing to win a tournament and restarting)
the whole game, not just the battles started getting, as you all say "stutter-y".

One the other hand, I have found that if I load a game, and continuously play without loading another, I can play for 40+ hours without turning the game off (leave it on overnight for 2-3 days) and all battles are perfect. Game frame-rate is normal.

So... final solution everyone should try:

If you have saved/loaded many times in one sitting, simply close and restart the game to clear the RAM cache of all the saves... as they seem to pile up without being cleaned.
Or just avoid saving and loading too many times...

Worked wonders for me!

Back
Top Bottom