Battle at the Thermopylae

Users who are viewing this thread

djogloc02

Sergeant Knight
At the start of the Persian Invasion, there were 300000 persians (or more, none is sure) and Athenas ordered a messenger to call help to Sparta, Sparta answered, but with only 300 soldiers in case of the persian invasion not being true. There were 7000 greeks soldiers and 300 spartans or even 900, as a guy wrote somewhere in the forum. After days of battle,, someone told the persians a route to flank the greeks, Leonidas knew it before this, so sended soldiers from a nearby city to protect it, but they feared a attack on their city and retreated to the city.

Leonidas told to the greeks that they can return home, many did it, but the thebans(I think) stayed there and helped the spartans, they lose the battle.

Also, the people forgot about a Admiral that said to Athenas to invest on their naval, but none gave a **** to it, so he told a false story about a naval spartan attack, so Athenas invested on naval. In the greco-persian wars, this admiral protected the greek ground forces on the Thermopylae from the flanking of persians (they would transport persian forces by sea and flank the greeks).

Windbusche said:
Leifr Eiríksson said:
Well, that's just swell.
Hey, I'm sure nobody else but him knew anything about this battle!  :neutral:
Don't be sarcastic. My mod thread was being overrun by discussion about this. It needs to relocate here, and where else should it go?
Again, don't be a meanie Wind. :wink:

Jarvisimo said:
Don't be sarcastic. My mod thread was being overrun by discussion about this. It needs to relocate here, and where else should it go?
Again, don't be a meanie Wind. :wink:

Overrun? Go to GoT thread and shout "Cozur!" or "release nao" to see what "overrun" means.

Also, 300000 seems like very high number for Persian force. If you want to go with servants, count in helots making it 2000 "spartans".

iIrc, Ancient Warfare did a decent article on the battle of Thermetc. However, OP, your post is of course vastly oversimplified, you realize that, yes? :razz:

edit; I was mistaken. The 'article' was a special on the battle of Marathon, I mostly just recalled that somewhere in that special disagreement about the number of Persians is mentioned.

Hah, up until the previous post I read 30 000 rather than 300 000. Indeed, D-Dog20 is rightems, three hundred thousand would be a ludicrous amount.

I think I know why people are getting surprised, I don't knew what to write 300000 300 000 or 300.000, but now I know it's wrong, it's 30.000, but remember, none is sure about the their number.

djogloc02 said:
Athenas ordered a messenger to call help to Sparta, Sparta answered, but with only 300 soldiers in case of the persian invasion not being true.
No, the Greeks knew the invasion was coming. Sparta was the leader of the Greek alliance so I don't know why you think Athens was giving them orders.
djogloc02 said:
300 spartans or even 900, as a guy wrote somewhere in the forum
Yes, 300 Spartiates and 600 Perioikoi. And don't forget the large number of Helots that would have accompanied them.
djogloc02 said:
the thebans(I think) stayed there and helped the spartans,
And then they defected to the Persians.

7 000 Greeks could only hold a 14 meter wide pass for 3 days. Not really that impressive methinks.

Especially when the Persians held a wider pass with less men for much longer.

Funny how the numbers of the Persian army keep growing smaller and smaller and smaller with time. I bet that in a hundred years, it will be 300 Spartans vs. 30 Persians.

NikeBG said:
Funny how the numbers of the Persian army keep growing smaller and smaller and smaller with time. I bet that in a hundred years, it will be 300 Spartans vs. 30 Persians.
What Persian army? It was only a scout fighting alone against 300 Spartans there.

FrisianDude said:
...three hundred thousand would be a ludicrous amount.

According to Wikipedia, some modern historians place the number as high as 300,000. Of course, they're all talking out of their asses regardless of what their estimate is, as there's really no way to know.

Antonis said:
You mean the scout who was unarmed, one-legged and 50 years old?
Yeah that's the one, old fart had almost managed to break through their lines before they stopped him. I also heard he was blind.

NikeBG said:
When three hundred brave Persian Immortals were all that stood between the Spartan King Leonidas' evil horde and the rest of the defenceless, peaceful Persian Empire!

Workaholic said:
Antonis said:
Yeah that's the one, old fart had almost managed to break through their lines before they stopped him. I also heard he was blind.
And had a serious case of Parkinson's, but he successfully implemented it in his fighting techniques.

Bromden said:
Workaholic said:
Antonis said:
And had a serious case of Parkinson's, but he successfully implemented it in his fighting techniques.

And now try to picture this elder, disabled Persian fighting off valiantly Spartans, right out of Frank Miller's 300. That made my day officially!  :lol:

Back
Top Bottom