Bannerlord is missing many good features from Warband and VC

Users who are viewing this thread

and there was one little thing i really liked is when you are in castle or a town and you talk or pass by a guard they bow there head down showing respect to you i hope they add that in the near future. and it will be nice if they add more life to the personal quarters with stuff to do, or even just servants that you tell them what to do, and they even can add the master of law and master of coin working along side with the fife governor and maybe even have the in walls plots like game of thrones.

I agree there's no reason to spend anytime in your throne room right now. Really lacking in immersion.

As much as I like this game I feel like until this list is implemented in Bannerlord, TW will have no right to call this game complete and I hope they have plans for this list.

Hello all,
This list really is indeed a ''must do list'' as far as I'm concerned. I just want to make sure that the list in the first post was also posted in the Feedback/Suggestions branch ? Imho, chances are the Devs are more likely to look into it if it's in the suggestions branch.

Credit to u/dropbbbear on r/mountandblade (I DID NOT MAKE THIS LIST, I COPY PASTED IT WITH HIS CONSENT)

Bannerlord has made some great improvements to the Mount&Blade series in terms of graphics, field battles, moddability and overall polish, and I'm very thankful to Taleworlds for that. But in terms of stuff to do and immersion, it actually feels heavily lacking compared to M&B: Warband (from 10 years ago) and M&B: Viking Conquest Reforged (from 6 years ago). That isn't good for a sequel.

To be fair, Bannerlord is only half of the way through Early Access, so missing content makes sense. But what's worrying is Taleworlds' complete silence on what content the game will actually have at the end of Early Access.

So, this is a list of WB/VC features Bannerlord doesn't have which have not been mentioned on Taleworlds' roadmap, meaning they may have been forgotten about, and aren't coming back unless people ask for them. Some of these features are small, but combined they made WB and VC more immersive and entertaining than just killing looters and map-painting.

WARBAND MISSING FEATURES

• Feasts: Parties the player and AI lords could hold for other lords. They helped slow down factions who were conquering large parts of the map too quickly by giving them something to do other than be at war 24/7. They gave the player another way of gaining relation with lords and ladies, gathered them all in one place for convenient talking/flirting, and feasting had a related quest where you gathered food from all around the map to make your feast impress the other lords. Feasts made Calradia feel more like a real world, and gave us Harlaus butter memes.
  • Lord strategic dialogue: The AI can often be quite stupid while on campaign. In Warband, you could actually tell lords to go somewhere and attack or defend it, which helped mitigate AI stupidity.
  • Manhunters: They spawned in Warband to hunt down bandits when their numbers started getting too high. In Bannerlord, this system could be tweaked: allow the player to spend money to put a Bounty on bandits in the area of one of their villages, and Manhunters would begin spawning there and hunting any threats to your village's prosperity, allowing you to go do more important/interesting things.
  • Quests: Exciting quests like the Prison Break quest where you rescued a lord from captivity and fought your way through the dungeons to freedom, or the Tax Collector quest where you gathered money from a town for a lord which might result in a riot, and many more.
  • Handcrafted companions: Think Jeremus, Ymira, etc. These companions had in-depth backstories and reactions to world locations, interacted with each other, and they had personalities you could get attached to. You could also make companions into vassals for your kingdom, which was useful if you had angered too many existing nobles.
  • Village improvement options: Build manors, messenger posts, schools, etc. This allowed the player to focus on building up a specific village to improve their strategic options in that area.
  • Courtship: Ladies had likes and dislikes, you could learn poems suited to their personality from poets and hear gossip, there were romance quests. Rather than just trying to roll the correct RNG on a skill check, Warband courtship was more like trying to build a relationship with a person.
  • Dueling lords: You could challenge a lord to a duel (or be challenged by them) if they insulted your honor or competed with you for a lover. This would give more intrigue to the player in their interactions with lords and ladies and add a fun extra challenge.
  • Deserters on the map: These guys were more interesting to fight than looters and bandits because they had better, military-grade equipment.
  • Tournament Armor/Weapons: All fighters in a tournament recieved gear of equal quality in Warband. In Bannerlord, gear quality is variable, so you can get a weapon in the tournament that is almost totally useless against some armors.
  • Books: You could buy these and read them to level skills. This would be a good gold sink, and also be a realistic way of letting the player level skills that are difficult to do in the early game; for example, read a book about siege engines to level your Engineering skill, without having to start a whole siege.
  • Lord personalities affecting behaviour: For example, warlike lords would constantly start fights with other factions, and calculating lords would leave allies to fend for themselves in fights. This influenced the player's choice in vassals and added another layer of strategic depth.
  • More battle maps: Bannerlord seriously lacks variety in field battle scenes.
  • Permanent message log: The current message log resets after an event, leading you sometimes to wonder what the hell just happened?
  • Follow option: You could auto-follow caravans or lords without actually getting locked into their party, which made the mid-game a lot less tedious.
  • Actual redheads: It's pretty silly that Bannerlord has a whole Celtic faction, but no real gingers. Is red hair bugged? I know DCC Mod adds in red hair.
  • Miscellaneous small things: Some lords being sexist (would be less likely to give you fiefs and they could insult you for being a woman, but you could duel them to defend your honor), more food variety (eg. sausages/chicken), Sargoth being in the north instead of the south, greater variety in equipment between cultures (eg: right now Aserai use a lot of Sturgian armor), and last but not least, "It's almost harvesting season!" These all added to immersion in Warband's medieval world.
VIKING CONQUEST: REFORGED

• Ship travel and ship battles: This added an entire new dimension to combat and travel on the world map. It would make infantry-focused factions more viable if they could quickly make a boat to travel by river, like they did in real life. In fact, it seems like some Bannerlord factions like Sturgia are already designed as if boats were in the game; Sturgia's territory is cut in half, making it difficult for them to efficiently move their forces around.
  • Ambush attacks: This added further immersion and strategy to overworld combat, and would be a great use for the Scouting, Tactics and Roguery skill trees.
  • Hunting boar and deer: A fun diversion, and another way for the player to find food while on campaign, or make money, or gain relation with other lords by going out hunting together during a feast. Sneak up on the boar, and then either catch it before it escapes, or kill it before it gores you!
  • Minigames: Working as a farmer, miner, or lumberjack, which added a way of making money that wasn't just fighting or trading.
  • Setting camp: In VC, your camp could provide basic fortifications if you were attacked in the field, and also provided a morale bonus for resting.
  • Dog companion: A doggo friend who could even help in battle. This was teased for Bannerlord literally 5 years ago, and is unused in game files, but hasn't been mentioned since.
  • Robbing lords: You could take good equipment from captive lords for a large relationship penalty.
  • Custom start, custom end goals: You could choose to start as a king/noble to skip the earlygame grind, and you could set smaller victory goals such as making a certain amount of money or being a powerful warlord. This allowed the player more roleplaying freedom in choosing their own path, rather than the current endgame which is always to become a lord, start a family, and own all the cities.

I never played Warband but this list amazing!

I only picked up Bannerlord about a month ago, and I can tell the game has a lot of potential and is far from complete, but I had no idea how much content was missing.

This missing feature list is honestly depressing because a sequel shouldn’t be less than then original.

I understand this is Early Access and I have never purchased an Early Access game before, but

1) folks have said these features are not on the content road map? I find that hard to believe.

2) when a dev replied on this thread it didn’t inspire a lot of confidence. The response I expected was “Yeah, all this stuff will be in the sequel because it was in the first game and the sequel will be all that and more.”

I still have high hopes for this game and if the Devs can flesh out what is already there I think that will be enough for me, but it seems they have left a lot on the table that could have been carried over from Warband.

I kind of wish I had never seen this thread. Ignorance is bliss....

I never played Warband but this list amazing!

I only picked up Bannerlord about a month ago, and I can tell the game has a lot of potential and is far from complete, but I had no idea how much content was missing.

This missing feature list is honestly depressing because a sequel shouldn’t be less than then original.

I understand this is Early Access and I have never purchased an Early Access game before, but

1) folks have said these features are not on the content road map? I find that hard to believe.

2) when a dev replied on this thread it didn’t inspire a lot of confidence. The response I expected was “Yeah, all this stuff will be in the sequel because it was in the first game and the sequel will be all that and more.”

I still have high hopes for this game and if the Devs can flesh out what is already there I think that will be enough for me, but it seems they have left a lot on the table that could have been carried over from Warband.

I kind of wish I had never seen this thread. Ignorance is bliss....
Get Warband and play it its fun.. then get the mods Perisno.. and Prophecy of Pendore. Clash of Kings.. World of Ice and fire. and not Least Viking Conquest. which is very good.

visibly we are doomed to be content with simple emotes, new hairstyles and a few quests.
in short the big depression

Unless they start to add content, I'm afraid that once the game is released in its entirety, they will do nothing and leave all the work to the modders.

My god. I love how they advertise on steam they have 'learnt from past title releases'. Obviously they're prioritizing aesthetics over content.
Get Warband and play it its fun.. then get the mods Perisno.. and Prophecy of Pendore. Clash of Kings.. World of Ice and fire. and not Least Viking Conquest. which is very good.
I would, but i cannot justify further support to such an unethical, dishonest company

Prophesy of Pendor was great, the mod I almost exclusively played. Saxondragon, the lead, was a professor of game design at a university in the midwest as I recall. Didn't he make a follow-up mod with his students as a course? I remember him planning to.

Brytenwalda was also fun and innovative, they were the guys that later made Viking Conquest. That was not Taleworlds. Brytenwalda was set in post-Arthuian and Roman Britain, and before cavalry was much of a thing, stand in the shield wall! I remember talking with Arnoldo on the forums, they were largely Portuguese historical reenactors iirc. Maybe why their stuff was so immersive.

I am one of those who has been playing M&B since there was M&B for thousands of hours. There was so much Taleworlds had to draw from either lore or gameplay not just from M&B and Warband but from the expansions and mods. The mods especially gave what barebones M&B has always lacked, immersion. I never went back to native Warband once the mods started rolling in.

With all of that to build from, Bannerlord almost feels like it started from scratch instead. I get no sense that there is much recognition or understanding of what players loved about those games and that it is going to find its way into Warband. And some of the more interesting features that Taleworlds had announced for Bannerlord don't seem to be happening either.

'New engine' doesn't cut it from that point of view. Also, while everyone is loving the new graphics, I find everybody I talk to looks like the Pillsbury Doughboy. Chunky.

Count me among those who would like to be given some reason for optimism, because I haven't much atm.

wow i never played the first one so i had no idea it had all of this damn i hope bannerlord starts getting some of this im happy for the bug fixes and all that but its been 5 months of bug fixing patches its time for some big content patches

Another missing feature I remembered is going to the castle after winning a tourney and dedicating your victory to a lady of the court for a relations boost.

It will be nice when you can have personal and clan relations, create a Romeo/Juliet situation among others.

Yeah Idk anymore, we best start getting content SOON or else the whole playerbase will lose faith. Even the people who still think Bannerlord is better and won't go back to Warband. Idk whether I trust Taleworlds or not. They are disappointing but idk what it's like on their end, and it would be really damn nice if they would tell us.

It is appalling that the dev response to this was essentially "o wow yeah u right these are some really good features" like cmon you've been working on Bannerlord since 2012 and you haven't even considered these features? What? And having read all of their devblogs before the game was out, I was convinced this game would be 10x the game Warband is, and it's barely half. They wrote about features like 2-3 years ago, and many of those are not yet in the game. Just wow.

Hopefully something happens soon. The mod tools are coming in a few weeks at least.

*rant alert*

But I don't want to wait another 8 years for this damn game to be good. The past 6 months have just been bug fixes, with like 4 new armors. That is the "content" we have gotten. 4 or 5 armors, I think all Sturgian. I was playing a lot of Viking Conquest and Napoleonic Wars lately, those are so damn good. And then I came back to Bannerlord to try out the new update, and **** that's been ****ed since the start is still ****ed. Tournaments are still stupidly easy to win even with no armor, and on the hardest settings. Not that it matters much, I can take a fully armored knight down with like 2 or 3 stabs from a sword. Armor in the game is like movie armor, it's for decoration only. The quests are all ****. The loot system is still ****. The economy is still ****. The diplomacy is still nonexistant. There is still nothing to do during peace time. The BANNERS are still ****. You still can't hold them in battle and the banner creator still sucks ass. "Banner" lord my ass. Every damn peasant is still wearing bright blue or yellow or red, something I thought was a dumbass temporary solution. The smithing is still garbage and broken. Guess I'll just go back to Viking conquest, 6 years out of date and made mostly by a mod team and still better than Bannerlord, made by like what, 50 people? 80? Idk. Taleworlds, if you are reading this, please, please, PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG. I don't hate you or your game, I'm just very very disappointed. Most of us are. I wish I never knew Bannerlord would be a thing. I never should have read all those devblogs. I never should have had hope. The game of my dreams was just that, a dream.

*rant over*

Has there been an update about any of the features on this list? Have they even seen it? I feel like some of these are absolutely vital for the final game. I also feel like the release was premature, maybe they were pressured by the fanbase so much that they felt forced to go early access. I think the game could still use a year of development if not more.

Has there been an update about any of the features on this list? Have they even seen it? I feel like some of these are absolutely vital for the final game. I also feel like the release was premature, maybe they were pressured by the fanbase so much that they felt forced to go early access. I think the game could still use a year of development if not more.
Yes a dev commented on this not too long after it was posted. They saw it, there however has not been an update on these features. I really wonder what it's like on their end; are they struggling or are they just lazy? How hard is it to communicate? I agree some of these are definitely vital, and it's ridiculous that the game doesn't have them. Don't bother implementing new features before you even add the old ones.

I also kinda think the release was premature, but I think it's good that we can now give them feedback. I bet were it not for the community the game would be even worse. Although idk that they felt pressured to release it, they said themselves that EA would be around a year long, now it's clear that could be 2 years or longer. The game really needs basic content, like that of this list, it's been 6 months and almost nothing new has been added, except for fixing broken features that were already there. This also really makes me wonder what they were doing before EA release, there were sooooo many bugs and other issues at the start of EA that really shouldn't have been there if they had adequate playtests.

Back
Top Bottom