Ask Devs

Users who are viewing this thread

www.askdevs.net

New site, its gonna be full of all kinds of tuts. Started by a pro programmer, who knows a ton of computer languages. Not much to it right now, but it will soon be stacked full of tuts. Its going to be a great site, to learn, coding, 3d modeling, and all kinds of other great stuff. Well worth checking out.

Looks like a great place!  I just joined 'em.

And I love their rules - before you sign up:  You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, etc., and in the boards: Profanity is not welcomed at AskDevs.  Taleworlds has that first line in the rules they show you when you sign up, but it's not enforced (hint, hint, Admins . . . :wink:).

mkeller said:
Looks like a great place!  I just joined 'em.

And I love their rules - before you sign up:  You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, etc., and in the boards: Profanity is not welcomed at AskDevs.  Taleworlds has that first line in the rules they show you when you sign up, but it's not enforced (hint, hint, Admins . . . :wink:).

I have to agree there.  :neutral:

When you have a forum made up of delinquents and social misfits, I don't suppose enforcing the rules is going to help much. Just ban everybody but the six or seven decent people here :smile:

Seriously, I know people who have refused to buy the game because of how 'dirty' the forums are. And all major game forums - even M-rated ones - are very strictly moderated. If it were my game I'd delete the off-topic board altogether, fire most of the admins, and start enforcing the rules. Of course, it's nice of armagan to want to let everybody have fun - but with what his stated target audience is, letting the forums slide this far isn't a good way to attract that crowd.

In case you hadn't noticed, I don't post here much anymore. I don't find it terribly useful to discuss anything with persons whose entire vocabulary is the f word.

JHermes said:
When you have a forum made up of delinquents and social misfits, I don't suppose enforcing the rules is going to help much. Just ban everybody but the six or seven decent people here :smile:

Seriously, I know people who have refused to buy the game because of how 'dirty' the forums are. And all major game forums - even M-rated ones - are very strictly moderated. If it were my game I'd delete the off-topic board altogether, fire most of the admins, and start enforcing the rules. Of course, it's nice of armagan to want to let everybody have fun - but with what his stated target audience is, letting the forums slide this far isn't a good way to attract that crowd.

In case you hadn't noticed, I don't post here much anymore. I don't find it terribly useful to discuss anything with persons whose entire vocabulary is the f word.

Just talk to people like mer and arch, they are very knowledgeable language wise.

JHermes said:
I don't find it terribly useful to discuss anything with persons whose entire vocabulary is the f word.

This is what I find wrong in modern society. People who use certain words are no longer treated as people. Why are words taboo? Why is it that bad language is considered worse than graphic violence? It's as though Jesus is smiling upon a carnage, but when one of the wounded yells "****, my limbs are several feet away from my body", Christ begins to cry.

And you, sir, should not consider my vocabulary limited. I've grabbed the English lexicon by its balls. Use of the "f-word" doesn't magically limit me to using it exclusively.

If you choose to use profanity, I'm not going to write your posts off as worthless. Sorry if that's how it sounded. What I can't stand is people who start and finish a post rant with language and make absolutely no point in between. I still don't think it's a particularly good way of expressing one's self, though.

[/off topic]

AskDevs does look cool, I signed up too. Maybe I'll finally learn enough C and C++ to make something other than stupid platform games :grin:

JHermes said:
If you choose to use profanity, I'm not going to write your posts off as worthless. Sorry if that's how it sounded. What I can't stand is people who start and finish a post rant with language and make absolutely no point in between. I still don't think it's a particularly good way of expressing one's self, though.

Is that what the majority of the posts on this forum consist of?

I hope they have object-oriented C++ tutorials on there.  I want to make more games, God Damnit! 

Naridill said:
I do hate that stereotype. That people who cuss alot, automatically have a smaller vocabulary. It's just an excuse for happy super-Christians not to use curse words.

On every vocabulary test I've ever taken, I've ended up in the top 2nd-3rd percentile, and people still tell me that I shouldn't say "I threw the ****ing thing so far NASA couldn't ****ing spot it", because it shows that I have a small vocabulary.

**** yeah!

Why use other words, when the word '****' can be used in so many different ways. If God intended us not to use the word '****', he shouldn't have made the word so ****ing versatile.

Hey I am the owner of askdes.net. And would like to thank you all for your nice reviews of my site. I have just heard of M&B and am going to give it a try as soon as i finish with this post.

Oooh, Mac problems?

Well then. Here's something I've never known - does Flash work easily on Mac OSes, or does it require fiddling?

Great! I'd like to try Visual Basic to do some basic tasks for our lead programmer for this game I'm working on, but I see you haven't added a tutorial for it yet. See you over there I guess. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom