AoFI Maps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Search for Turanien's MP Map tutorial in The Forge.

He shows you how you can use the Terrain editor in SP Warband to make new MP maps, so you can make the map as big as possible, edit the hilliness, vegetation, roughness, etc.

BattleOfValmy said:
Search for Turanien's MP Map tutorial in The Forge.

He shows you how you can use the Terrain editor in SP Warband to make new MP maps, so you can make the map as big as possible, edit the hilliness, vegetation, roughness, etc.

!

Did I ever properly communicate my love and appreciation for you, Valmy?

Hibiki said:
I did some work on my previously posted map:

It still needs quite a bit of work and detailing, but I think it's coming along nicely.

Still, I wish it were a bit larger.

That looks awesome Hib :smile: Are you planning on making a grave yard for it? That'd be a nice touch (most churches have graveyards) & would give some more cover around the church, also slight ridges at the edge of the pathways would be a good idea (Not huge, just like up to a soldiers boots if possible).

I have Unreal tournament 3 and I'm not bad with the map editor. So if anyone would point me in the direction of a tutorial for this editor I could start making maps right away.

Reapper45 said:
I have Unreal tournament 3 and I'm not bad with the map editor. So if anyone would point me in the direction of a tutorial for this editor I could start making maps right away.

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,112508.0.html

Azrooh said:
Reapper45 said:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,112508.0.html
That's not really how to use the editor, that's how to mod in custom maps.
Just press CTRL + E (make suse you are configured right) and play around.

Upload the screenshots to http://imageshack.us then copy the direct link to the image (which means the URL must end in .jpg or whatever format the images are in) and put it in spoiler and image tags, like this:

Code:
[spoiler][IMG]your link here[/IMG][/spoiler]

Herbiie said:
That looks awesome Hib :smile: Are you planning on making a grave yard for it? That'd be a nice touch (most churches have graveyards) & would give some more cover around the church, also slight ridges at the edge of the pathways would be a good idea (Not huge, just like up to a soldiers boots if possible).

Actually, I do plan on adding a (small) grave yard. Positioning the graves nicely is trickier than I thought, though. I will also add crop fields, and the roads are already sunken slightly so that they can used kind of as "trenches" (but, as you said, only about as deep as a soldiers's boots).

I'm trying to be very careful with hills and cover, so as to encourage proper game-play. I don't want any central element to the map -- IE, I don't want, say, one team always rushing to take the church, or to take this hill, or to hide behind that wall. I find it boring when a map encourages, or even limits engagement to always happening in the same place. I want to encourage a wide variety of play, with each team being able to maneuver and engage from different angles.

Thanks Valmy, here are the screens.
mb4c.th.jpg
[/URL]

[/img]
their big so just click on the thumbnail.

Hibiki said:
Herbiie said:

Actually, I do plan on adding a (small) grave yard. Positioning the graves nicely is trickier than I thought, though. I will also add crop fields, and the roads are already sunken slightly so that they can used kind of as "trenches" (but, as you said, only about as deep as a soldiers's boots).

I'm trying to be very careful with hills and cover, so as to encourage proper game-play. I don't want any central element to the map -- IE, I don't want, say, one team always rushing to take the church, or to take this hill, or to hide behind that wall. I find it boring when a map encourages, or even limits engagement to always happening in the same place. I want to encourage a wide variety of play, with each team being able to maneuver and engage from different angles.

That sounds completely contrary to any sort of multiplayer level design theories I've ever heard. You want consistency in your maps, and to not have strong points and tactical locations is to make a map boring.

On the contrary.

I find, for example, matches on Random Plains to be infinitely more interesting than matches on, say, Frozen Lake(Snowy Village? I forgot the name) or Port Assault. In the later two, there is really only one or two practical ways to engage the enemy. There are only a few defensive positions. There is not at all much room for maneuver, and combat always takes place in the same manner, and in the same places. On Random Plains, however, you find much more opportunity to maneuver and engage on your own terms.

I am not saying that there should not be advantageous positions -- any hill, building, line of trees, river, bridge, or whatever else you may have, can be used to one's advantage. The point is that there should not be just one central, advantageous position, nor should there be just one route of attack -- unless, of course, it is a siege map. The map should be large and diverse enough to allow teams to change their strategy and try different positions or angles of attack. A map without that flexibility is boring, because there is only "one way" to attack or defend.

Many maps try to "guide" each team to do something, like defend this position, or flank this way, etc.  I find that these maps, generally, severely limit one or the other team's options, to the point that there is no variety in game plans. There winds up just being one, or perhaps at most, two feasible plans, and no other options. Players should never be lead to pursue just one or two courses of action. Diversity is what makes for a good map with re-playability.

I only prefer Random Plains because they're random, and so different every time, which creates a more interesting tactical challenge. Small clumps of trees provide cover, while hills provide the much needed high ground, valleys give you more cover etc.

Hibiki said:
On the contrary.

I find, for example, matches on Random Plains to be infinitely more interesting than matches on, say, Frozen Lake(Snowy Village? I forgot the name) or Port Assault. In the later two, there is really only one or two practical ways to engage the enemy. There are only a few defensive positions. There is not at all much room for maneuver, and combat always takes place in the same manner, and in the same places. On Random Plains, however, you find much more opportunity to maneuver and engage on your own terms.

I am not saying that there should not be advantageous positions -- any hill, building, line of trees, river, bridge, or whatever else you may have, can be used to one's advantage. The point is that there should not be just one central, advantageous position, nor should there be just one route of attack -- unless, of course, it is a siege map. The map should be large and diverse enough to allow teams to change their strategy and try different positions or angles of attack. A map without that flexibility is boring, because there is only "one way" to attack or defend.

Many maps try to "guide" each team to do something, like defend this position, or flank this way, etc.  I find that these maps, generally, severely limit one or the other team's options, to the point that there is no variety in game plans. There winds up just being one, or perhaps at most, two feasible plans, and no other options. Players should never be lead to pursue just one or two courses of action. Diversity is what makes for a good map with re-playability.

tl;dr

Back
Top Bottom