[Announcing] Hundred Years War: 1357

Users who are viewing this thread

7 factions is possible?

I thought the hardcoded limit of major factions owning land, towns and castles and beeing able to have lords and siege is 6.

noosers said:
7 factions is possible?

I thought the hardcoded limit of major factions owning land, towns and castles and beeing able to have lords and siege is 6.
Heck no. I could have 50 if I wanted.

The only 'limit' of that kind that I know of is races (i.e., skins), which is 18. And hopefully that's been removed in Warband.

Seal_1 said:
Some of the mercenaries would have held higher ranks (for example, at around 1497 Kunz Shott von Hellingen commanded a mercenary company of 41 knights and a few hundred footmen and owned the castle of Rothemburg. He was actually part of the German nobility)

Lord Chris said:
more like King/Queen-Lord-Lesser Lord-Knights-freemen- and surfs I'm not 100% if that's it or not but it's almost 5 A.M idk it's what my history teacher taught us...

It's spelled serfs.  :grin:

iRock said:
a mercenary would never-ever have something to say about a town. ) - slaves.

Shott actually started a war with the town of Nuremberg because of hostility shown by the city council.

I've been thinking about the following before but never talked about it. It may already have been posted before, so sorry if I'm repeating myself.

One person from this period that has always interested me and was quite controversial was Arnaud de Cervole aka 'The Archpriest'. He was the archpriest of Velines in the diocese of Perigord and when he was deprived of his benefices by the archbishop of Bordeaux, he then threw himself into war and served in the French army in the 1350s with his own company of 80 men.
He was given the fortress of Chateauneuf-sur-Charente on the Western march of Angoumois during those years.
He probably received this grant because he was to dangerous as enemy, he was known for his skill in capturing towns and castles through escalade(scaling the walls at night). In 1354 he captured three chief castles in the county of Angouleme as a securuty for the arrears of his men.
The Archpriest served in the Battalion of the Count of Alençon in 1357 and was captured at Poitiers but married a rich widow in March 1357 who controlled several lordships in Berry. In the truce of Bordeaux he was named as one of the four conservators for Berry.

de Cervole saw new opportunities in France's chaos. While the country was already being terrorized by companies of freebooters and Gascons(such as those of Bertucat d'Albret) he started bringing them together in a coallition that contemporaries called 'the Great Company'. This was a loose confederation of companies that formed a larger temporary army. Each company had its own leader but they all acknowledged overall command of a Captain-General(in this case The Archpriest).
When in May 1357 he transferred his operations to Dauphiné he had 2000 men assembled. On 13 July 1357 they crossed the Rhone where he combined his forces with those of Amiel des Baux. Then they burnt and robbed their way through Provence. They laid siege to Saint Cannat and strangled the region and eventually they turned North after they had wasted what they could.
The Count of Armagnac heard of de Cervole's plans in may 1357 and wanted to do the same, he orgnaized his own army with Gascon mercenaries and moved into Provence, he was bought off by the Queen of Naples for 65000 Gold florins and granted certain lands in Provence.

Mercenaries could definitly rise to become men of substance as Arnaude de Cervole's example shows.
Now my question is, what can you do with this?

Can you create such companies that combine their strength to become an 'archpriests horde'? Can there be companycommanders who act as bandits(properly armed as they were for the most part professional soldiers) and can be hired as mercenaries?
Can you make hero's who lead those companies like Arnaud de Cervole, John Fotheringay, Robert Knolles, Seguin 'Espiot' de Badefol, Bascot de Mauleon, Arnaud 'le Limousin' du Solier, ames Pipe etc?

Or am I exagerrating and is this too much  :razz:?

Yeah, it should look pretty good. Unfortunately though, I'm going to have to remap a bunch of Native armors in order to be able to give them proper HYW-esq liveries. Annoying, but it should be worth it.

EDIT: For that matter, I might as well post the screens here.

polel.jpg

pikes.jpg

voulge.jpg

pollearms.jpg

dochtorgajo said:
Do you plan to imlement formations and some interesting AI? :smile: And some sort of critical thinking for cavalry? :mrgreen:
Not off the bat. If someone's got some good scripts that I like, I'll stick them in for sure, but currently there isn't anything I'm planning on putting in.

I appreciate the words.

On other notes, I'm considering a slightly different approach to stuff this time, and I wouldn't mind some input. I'm planning on redoing much, if not all of the armor for Warband, both to make use of Warband's new graphic capabilities, and because the old stuff is un-growing on me. (I was heavily influenced by mods such as GE3 at the time, and dislike the results.)

So this time, instead of going the full color and saturation rout like I did last time, I considering heading back in the direction of the original mod's style; that is, only parts of armors were colored with the faction colors. For instance instead of the leather jerkin being entirely colored with [faction's color], only the cloth parts will be. It is slightly more understated, but I think I want this.

The full cloth armors such as the mail and surcoats and coats of plates would of course, be fully quartered. But I want to do away with dyed and colored leather.

Last set of polarms.

Whether I praise or suggest, whether I talk to you on a server, you seem to ignore me. I already feel like giving up on trying but anyways, since I like the mod, I will say the following

So this time, instead of going the full color and saturation rout like I did last time, I considering heading back in the direction of the original mod's style; that is, only parts of armors were colored with the faction colors. For instance instead of the leather jerkin being entirely colored with [faction's color], only the cloth parts will be. It is slightly more understated, but I think I want this.
True uniformity wasnt achieved in either country(and certainly not in the neighbouring countries) before the fiftheenth century. in 1355 the Prince of Wales proclaimed that all his troops should wear the red cross of St George. When the Count of Armagnac moved out to fight the English he ordered all his men to wear a white cross on their clothing(blue wasnt even used at the time).
In the Welsh wars the English wore white clothing(blaunchecotes) with armband with red crosses and the Welsh were known to wear green and white lateron.

As for knights, they recognized eachother by their banners, pennants and cloaks. In the famous litigation between Scrope and Grosvenor in 1386 about the right to bear arms azur a bend or, more than a hundred knights gave evidence that they remembered seeing these arms borne by Scrope in fights dating back to the Scottish wars of the 1330's.One of them Sir Robert Laton, told the court that his father 'who had long time travailed in foreign wars and in tournaments in time of peace' had been able to recite from memory  the arms of all kings, princes, dukes, barons, knights and squires. When Sir Robert was young his father had made him write them down and learn them by heart.

Those who wore no arms or obscure ones recognized eachother by a primitive method; the warcry. 'St George' for England, 'Guienne' for Aquitaine, 'Montjoie' or 'St Denis' for France or simply the name of the captain they served under.

I like a great deal of realism and I would like to go into battle without icons above the heads of the AI, only being able to recognize friend from foe by the coat of arms on their shield or armour. as for infantry, a red cross on their armband(the arm with which they wield their weapon so as to make sure it remains visible) and a white cros on French uniforms(wherever there's room).

And the pretender for the Duchy of Brittany was Charles of Blois. He was married to Jeanne de Penthievre in 1337 and received as the heir of Brittany at a solemn session at John IIIs Court. Charles was made to swear on the Duke's death he was to bear the arms of Brittany and honour its customs. An assembly of Breton notables accepted Charles claim by a majority of seven to two, shortly after the old Duke's death. The faction should thus be Blois.

Edit, typo's. I was lazy typing this.

Vermin said:
Whether I praise or suggest, whether I talk to you on a server, you seem to ignore me. I already feel like giving up on trying but anyways, since I like the mod, I will say the following
Sorry about that. I tend to do a little mental commentary, then forget to actually write it down. (Although I will say, talking to me ingame isn't the bestest of ideas, simply because I'm usually terribly busy killing dudes.)  :razz:

True uniformity wasnt achieved in either country(and certainly not in the neighbouring countries) before the fiftheenth century. in 1355 the Prince of Wales proclaimed that all his troops should wear the red cross of St George. When the Count of Armagnac moved out to fight the English he ordered all his men to wear a white cross on their clothing(blue wasnt even used at the time).
In the Welsh wars the English wore white clothing(blaunchecotes) with armband with red crosses and the Welsh were known to wear green and white lateron.
I know that uniformity wasn't achieved, for sure, and I hope I convey that with the diversity of colors and armors everyone wears. That bit about the crosses is nice to know; I'll see if I can implement that some how.

What I have to deal with though, is the fact that this is still a game. I will take liberties with history in order to make it fun and enjoyable - to me firstly (because if I don't enjoy the mod, I won't make the mod), and then hopefully to everyone else. That aside, and to the discussion at hand; I'll never be able to have the variety that I'd like, simply because this is a game with limitations. So I have to distill it, if you will, so that I narrow my armor designs and recoloring down to two or three that best capture the feel of the whole set.

I've been thinking about the following before but never talked about it. It may already have been posted before, so sorry if I'm repeating myself.

Can you create such companies that combine their strength to become an 'archpriests horde'? Can there be companycommanders who act as bandits(properly armed as they were for the most part professional soldiers) and can be hired as mercenaries?
Can you make hero's who lead those companies like Arnaud de Cervole, John Fotheringay, Robert Knolles, Seguin 'Espiot' de Badefol, Bascot de Mauleon, Arnaud 'le Limousin' du Solier, ames Pipe etc?

I would love to do things like that. I really would. This idea, and also things with free companies are features close to my heart. But the one thing holding me back is that I'm not a scripter. I can do many things with the module system, but writing new scripts sadly isn't one of them.

So in order to do the abundance of extra content ideas, I need a scripter who's willing to work with me. These are understandably hard to find these days however, as they all have projects they are working on for themselves.

The way I'm going to have to do it, if I want these features, is to offer an exchange of services; 3D models for scripts. I do intend to do that, however, at which time I'll delegate the best ideas to be turned into game features. This idea will certainly be taken into consideration, and I appreciate the effort.

That is the first mod i've ever played with Mount & Blade and the mod that made me enjoy more this game.
It would fit perfectly with warband. Please keep working on this  :smile:

Just one suggestion, don't let English be overpowered with their longbow as in the latest version  :wink:

Edit: Could you also implement jousting tournament in it? http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,60175.0.html

Without this mod MB wouldnt be MB :mrgreen:

Cavalry is seriously weaker already in WB so longbows could be little more incurate as well. :smile: And french knights should be good at foot as well thats where they end most times after that weak pony is killed.(even for anglophiles- isnt it better feeling to defeat french when theyre worthy foe? :twisted:)

Heh. Funny thing is, I probably played this mod as my sole game for a couple months, and only ever played the French. Female character named Joan D'Arc of course  :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom