An Open Letter to TaleWorlds from the Kingdoms of Arda team, and the Total-Conversion Mod Community about our concerns and frustrations with Bannerlor

Users who are viewing this thread

Modders still have a fair bit to do; I have spoken to the guys at KoA - and though this is a wrench it hasn't stopped production.

Basically they just need TW to pull their fingers out. I really hope this gets a good resolution. I can forgive pretty much anything else - as long as the modding community has the ability to do what they need to do.

you reverse the roles of modders and developers

You know what. I'm done. This community has sucked out any enjoyment I had for this game. I left the forum last night feeling angry and realised 'what's the point'? I cant even login in and play the game I enjoy without just feeling furious at how utterly ruined this community is.... and I just don't care anymore. The 'player' base on here has totally ruined the game for someone who actually enjoyed it. The official game forum has literally driven away someone who actually loved the title. What a ****ing joke. So well done everyone. You got what you wanted. You destroyed all excitement, positivity and enjoyment I took from mount & blade... you achieved your goal. Look at my pointless ****ing signature - how ****ing childish am I?

Im just done. Congratulations you win. I hope I can enjoy the game again one day; but I'm done with this forum.

Thank you, I'm a man of the people and a pillar of the community and it's always very nice to get recognition. Your response will be duly noted in the very long archive of people praising my commitment to this series.
The absolute insane irony is if you had actually bothered reading anything I'd said today - you would probably agree....

The internal flags are less forgivable - give the modders what they need. The reason they might have done this may be because they know these will be changing and they don't want mods to work on something for it to be ruined later - however given this is already happening you might as well say - bugger it and give them everything.

We as a community just need to make sure this page is always kept at the top of the board - and that it always remains professional and critical.

I love Taleworlds and M&B - but this needs to be properly addressed.
Neither of these views are quite fair. The modders don't want production to stop - they just want TW to let them access everything. Otherwise modding will always be limited. We can have mods and features - these aren't mutually exclusive.
I agree with MadVader... for once. It had to happen.

Mods are the lifeblood of M&B. Warband without mods would have died long ago; even the native MP used NeoGK servers. The demand is there for mods - interesting fact: Bannerlord already has twice as many mods on Nexus as Warband and is currently sitting at 13th in the list of most individual downloads of all time.

I sincerely hope Taleworlds take the steps needed to correct this though. Removing the internal flags as suggested seems to be the most important thing. I can understand a reluctance to fill out the documentation while the game is still in production; I can somewhat forgive that - but clearly it is still important. Either way TW need to fix this urgently!

Any witty retorts to that or are we all going to grow up now....?

Last edited:
Have to hand it to AxiosXiphos, he has had the most reasonable reaction to the "modding crisis" situation here, his answers were balanced and I respect that.

I remember a few months ago when Taleworlds announced they would release some of the modding tools. A lot of people were happy to see mods coming in, but many were afraid of how it would cause problems down the line. They weren't totally wrong.

Quick question from a profane coming up: are those internal flags something that can be of benefit to Taleworlds whilst they are still working on the game which would warrant keeping them in at least until they are mostly done; or are they just something that was left in but makes modders' lives hell for nor good reason?

Have to hand it to AxiosXiphos, he has had the most reasonable reaction to the "modding crisis" situation here, his answers were balanced and I respect that.

I remember a few months ago when Taleworlds announced they would release some of the modding tools. A lot of people were happy to see mods coming in, but many were afraid of how it would cause problems down the line. They weren't totally wrong.

Quick question from a profane coming up: are those internal flags something that can be of benefit to Taleworlds whilst they are still working on the game which would warrant keeping them in at least until they are mostly done; or are they just something that was left in but makes modders' lives hell for nor good reason?
Depends how cynical you want to be.

If you are feeling generous it's possible TW wanted to avoid modders accessing parts of the game they are still working on. Thus wasting the modders time when they update the game.

A more honest view is they probably want to stop people running away with their product - and potentially making a much more impressive mod while they are still in production. TW clearly want to nab console sales - and it won't help their image if all the amazing mods are limited to the PC release at launch.

Or maybe even a mixture of both of these...Who knows?

The only thing that really matters is Taleworlds sort it out. As I have said I can *forgive* the documentation issue; it does sort of make sense that they wouldn't complete that until the game was finished (assuming they were planning to do it then). The internal flag however is a massive hurdle; in the words of the KoA dev team;

xJF9BQq.png

The absolute insane irony is if you had actually bothered reading anything I'd said today - you would probably agree....
The reason Marko is calling your posts shilling is because it's really obvious that you're just posting a milquetoast remix of what everyone else in the thread has already said, but with the completely pointless inclusion of "be nice to taleworlds, guys! They're just taking their time!"

Me, Marko and a few others were there from right at the start of the alpha. But even at that stage, when most of us still thought the game could be good eventually, there were people like you trying to "balance" criticism with undue praise of the lowest standards, acting as if criticising the game would kill it. Having to argue with them about peripheral nonsense like post tone and "its not done yet, stop complaining" completely derailed threads that were otherwise about frame data and bugs. Forgive Marko or anyone else if they don't take you seriously, particularly after you defended the multiplayer for months before someone just showed footage of you playing like an AI bot.

There is nothing inherently respectable or reasonable about arbitrarily balancing criticism with praise. Bannerlord isn't the worst game ever made, and I could praise it for being better than Fallout 76, but even bothering to mention that is completely pointless and lowers the standard we hold Taleworlds to by a significant margin.

It's most likely neither. Like the document says, the assignment of internal classes is completely arbitrary. I wouldn't be surprised if Taleworlds weren't even aware this was an issue until now.

Forgive Marko or anyone else if they don't take you seriously, especially after you defended the multiplayer for months before someone just showed footage of you playing like an AI bot.
lol what...? I never saw this? Please link!

Besides we all have good days and bad days...

yErBPdL.jpg

However do you not find it funny in a sad way - that you guys are literally trying to harass me for posting criticism that you agree with!

9jl3hunr3v521.jpg

Last edited:
There is nothing inherently respectable or reasonable about arbitrarily balancing criticism with praise. Bannerlord isn't the worst game ever made, and I could praise it for being better than Fallout 76, but even bothering to mention that is completely pointless and lowers the standard we hold Taleworlds to by a significant margin.
Sure, but coming from Xiphos I felt it deserved to be mentioned and, well, praised a bit. If I’m going to tell him when I completely disagree with him, I should also give him props when I feel we share some common ground.

Anyway, that’s deplorable, but I kind of expected this kind of answer, I wouldn’t be surprised if it was negligence as you said (which is what I meant by « for no good reason »).

Thanks for the clarification you two. They better make modders’ lives easier because so far mods are the only things that keep me playing.

Modders still have a fair bit to do; I have spoken to the guys at KoA - and though this is a wrench it hasn't stopped production.

Basically they just need TW to pull their fingers out. I really hope this gets a good resolution. I can forgive pretty much anything else - as long as the modding community has the ability to do what they need to do.
I have less of an issue with the fact it hasn't happened as the lack of transparency and a plan. It's just kind of dissapointing that a game with such great mod's successor has no real plan for this.

What a pointless discussion
What? No. If anything, we are waiting for Callum (or some eager whistleblower) to announce the results of the discussions - we probably have nothing clever to add if we don't participate in the discussions.
While we are waiting, making Axios suffer for his past crimes, real and imagined, feels righteous and fun. Just don't read what he actually says now.

What? No. If anything, we are waiting for Callum (or some eager whistleblower) to announce the results of the discussions - we probably have nothing clever to add if we don't participate in the discussions.
Yeah, the least we can do is post here to show the devs that we care about this issue and that it needs to be resolved, and that there is mass demand for an update.

Back
Top Bottom