Resolved All items in stash are lost if placed within immediately after taking the settlement

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
I've had this happen twice now, I think. I take a city, and as soon as I've taken it, I put things in the stash. Shortly after, a message appears on right side of screen notifying me that I'm the new owner of the settlement. At this point, all of the items in the stash are deleted. Note that this happens before the "resolve settlement ownership" part.

I'm using a couple of mods, but none of them can be causing this (one is texture replacement, one adds troop types, and the other alters armor values).

Please note that we can’t support any modding-related issues. You can find more information about how to remove modifications here and more information about what we think about issues related to modding here.
If you can reproduce the issue in a new, un-modded and verified campaign please let us know!
Thanks for reporting and sorry for any inconvenience!

It takes a very long time for me to get a campaign to a point where I can take a city. It isn't feasible for me to start a new campaign and play it for dozens (or hundreds) of hours, solely to be extra-sure that it wasn't one of the mods causing this. I've examined the mods files closely (one of them is my creation), and I'm convinced that this isn't a mod-related issue. But...

Can someone else who is playing an unmodded campaign check for this next time they take a city? Otherwise, this bug is unlikely to be ever fixed.

It takes a very long time for me to get a campaign to a point where I can take a city. It isn't feasible for me to start a new campaign and play it for dozens (or hundreds) of hours, solely to be extra-sure that it wasn't one of the mods causing this. I've examined the mods files closely (one of them is my creation), and I'm convinced that this isn't a mod-related issue. But...

Can someone else who is playing an unmodded campaign check for this next time they take a city? Otherwise, this bug is unlikely to be ever fixed.
from what you typed, did you place stuff in stash before it was awarded to you?

Yes. But my clan is the sole clan in my independent kingdom, so it can't be that some other noble who had temporary "technical ownership" of the city nicked my goods. They simply disappeared due to a bug.

To reproduce, capture a city, then immediately after, place goods in the stash, allowing zero game-time to pass between. Shortly after, when you get the notification that you are the new owner (but before being asked to resolve the ownership issue by redundantly awarding the city to yourself), the goods will have vanished.

Yes. But my clan is the sole clan in my independent kingdom, so it can't be that some other noble who had temporary "technical ownership" of the city nicked my goods. They simply disappeared due to a bug.

To reproduce, capture a city, then immediately after, place goods in the stash, allowing zero game-time to pass between. Shortly after, when you get the notification that you are the new owner (but before being asked to resolve the ownership issue by redundantly awarding the city to yourself), the goods will have vanished.
I will try that in my play through I am streaming

I'm on 1.5.7 beta, and I cannot reproduce this...
There is zero time between conquering a fief and getting the ownership message for me. It pops up immediately after conquering it. I fight or autoresolve the battle, grab prisoners, grab loot, then I'm inside the settlement and the ownership message immediately appears on the right - without any in-game-time elapsing or anything, before I can even click on anything. Same when one of my lords captures a settlement, the ownership message appears as soon as the settlement changes ownership -> immediately when it was conquered, before anyone could even enter it.

By the way, you don't need to 'spend time on a campaign' to get to that level when the in-game console exists....
  1. Remove the mods
  2. Start a new game
  3. Tell your bro to piss off and go save your siblings himself 'cos you're busy and couldn't stand them anyways
  4. When you're on the map, run to Poros. Stop outside it. Open the console
  5. enter config.cheat_mode 1
  6. enter campaign.create_player_kingdom
  7. enter campaign.add_influence 10000
  8. use your newfound influence over yourself to influence yourself to declare war on the southern kingdom. (This game is truly proof that the first and hardest part of coming to any decision is convincing yourself. I love it.)
  9. enter campaign.give_troops battanian_fian_champion 1000
  10. siege and conquer Poros by autoresolving. No need to build siege engines, you got 1000 fians!
Tadaaa, a vanilla recreation of your situation. Doesn't take more than 5 minutes, really.

For me, ownership message appears immediately. Tested in existing modded campaign with a huge kingdom and no cheats as well as by this method. No delay to ownership message whatsoever.

So it turns out that I misremembered when the bug occurred. I just took another city, and this time, I was in full bug-hunting mode, and carefully monitored what happened.

There are three stages of ownership. Firstly, it immediately gives you the "settlement owner changed" message. Secondly, after a short time (maybe two game-days), it will give you the "owner of [settlement name]" message, along with a sound effect. Finally, after a certain time has elapsed, or if you bypass that waiting period by going to the Kingdom screen, I have the "choice" to award the city to myself (there are no other choices, since I'm the only clan in my kingdom at present).

It's this last stage which causes the bug to occur, and it doesn't only delete all the items in the stash; it also frees any noble captives who were in the dungeon (and possibly any troop captives as well; I'm not sure), and it also resets the governor to "none."

So, a correction to my initial report: to reproduce, first take a city, then place an item into the stash, place a noble captive into the dungeon, and assign a governor. Then, wait until the second ownership message has popped up, at which point you can enter the Kingdom screen and resolve the ownership issue, granting the city to yourself. Now you will find that your items are missing from the stash, your captive is gone from the dungeon, and the governor is no longer governing.

Apologies for the confusion; my memory is pretty poor these days.

Last edited:
Okay, just tried it. Can reproduce the issue.

I am Queen Lis and capture Gesorgios Castle.
  1. Immediately after capturing, I get the message "Settlement Owner Changed" subtitled: "New owner of Gesorgios Castle is Lis"
  2. I put items in the stash.
  3. I wait in the castle until the message to vote for the new owner of the castle appears: "Owner of Gesorgios Castle" subtitled ""Owner of Gesorgios Castle"
  4. The items in stash are still in the stash.
  5. I do the vote. After I have given the fief to myself in the vote, I get the exact same message as under point 1, "Settlement Owner Changed" subtitled: "New owner of Gesorgios Castle is Lis" again.
  6. The items in stash are now gone.
So, previously placed items in stash disappear from stash upon granting a fief to yourself.
It seems likely that that means that imprisoned lords also get automatically freed when granting a fief with enemy prisoners to another lord of the kingdom. That would explain quite a few 'stacks of 'X has been caught - X was released' messages I've been getting after those votes.

NP, made me curious. Here's the full reproduction, 1.5.7 beta, vanilla, using cheats on a new campaign.
There's some interesting details in this, for example not all imprisoned lords get freed - only 5 out of 9 got freed in this test, and one of the freed stayed in the dungeon voluntarily...

I start a new campaign, activate cheats, teleport to Poros, declare a kingdom, summon an army, and declare war on everyone under the sun. Calradia never saw the great kingdom of "atrwg" coming!

The hordes of atrwg have overrun Poros! First ownership message appears on the right

The traditional governor selection process in the great kingdom of atrwg works like this: The High King runs into the local tavern, points a finger at the first wanderer he sees, yells loudly "IT'S ALL YOURS NOW!!!", and runs out of the tavern before anyone could answer. Congratulations, Kalata Longknife!

In the dungeon of Poros now reside 9 lords - two captured in the surprise-siege of Poros, seven others snatched from all over Calradia by the kingdom of atrwg's cheaty henchmen:

... the Stash was filled with riches....

...the wounded were given garrison duty...

... and the vote for ownership was eagerly awaited.:

After holding council with his imaginary friends / split personalities, the High King of atrwg fiercely denied wanting to become owner of Poros, but had to admit that there simply was no other choice:

As can be seen in the chat/message stream, the High-King celebrated the battle with himself over the ownership of the great city by immediately freeing 5 random prisoners. Upon inspection of the city in the aftermath of the High King's council with his split personalities, it turned out:

Kalata Longknife had left her post (but was still available for reassignment):

The wounded were still healing in the garrison:

Only five out of the original nine lords were still in the dungeon - but only four of them as prisoners. Zeno of the Southern Empire just kinda liked it there didn't want to leave anymore:

...and all the riches in the High King of atrwg's stash were gone:

I was going to report this bug, but I see that you already did.
I tried put some horses in the stash in one of the towns that I owned, so that I could reduce my herd size. When I clicked "Done", I got a warning that I am about to discard some items. I cancelled that, and took back my horses. I figured that stash does not work for livestock.
At another time and another town that I owned, I tried to store some weapons in the stash. Again, I got the warning that I was about to discard my items. These are NOT livestock, so I figured that this is a bug.
I have used the stash in earlier versions of this game, and have always been able to reclaim the items that I have stored there.

I have been informed that this issue is fixed on our development branch and the fix will be implemented with the upcoming patches. Thanks for reporting!

Back
Top Bottom